FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars The Kona Luanii, Denver, CO
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
The Kona Luanii, Denver, CO
ShawnJuanTiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-01-24 9:46 pm   Permalink

Absolutely stunning!

I came here for some ideas for a screened room tiki environment to relax in after a long day and stumbled upon this masterpiece. Talk about creativity..........

I aspire to put together something 1/2 as good. Keep up the good work. I need all the help and ideas I can get!

View Profile of ShawnJuanTiki Send a personal message to ShawnJuanTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pappythesailor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-25 02:04 am   Permalink

Great work. I don't know how I missed this thread until today. I look forward to more updates!

View Profile of pappythesailor Send a personal message to pappythesailor  Goto the website of pappythesailor     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-25 4:09 pm   Permalink

Looks terrific! If I could offer just a hint of constructive criticism, you might consider painting the ceiling darker before you get it too covered. The ceiling drywall really needs to disappear when the lights go down. But, even without that, I'm so inspired by your creativeness! It's going to look terrific.

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ZuluMagoo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-06 8:33 pm   Permalink

I had been debating for months about going back and darkening the ceiling again. I had already painted it once (2 coats) and really didn't want to do it again. But I wasn't ever really happy with it. GatorRob's suggestion kicked me in the pants to go back and fix it before I get any further along with the project. So last weekend I put up the first primer coat of the darker color. It already looks MUCH better. Thanks GR!

This was the first round of ceiling paint. At first I thought it was dark enough.

But once I started to put up elements, trim, etc., that color was lost (granted the flash from the camera washes out the pics a bit).

So I selected a much darker color I know will do the job this time. The primer coat already makes a huge difference. The second coat goes up next weekend.

While I was working on the ceiling last Sunday, my 4 year old in her infinite wisdom asks me why I was painting the ceiling again, why didn't I just do it right the first time? I should have listened.

Note to self: It is much easier to paint without other shit on the walls getting in your way, pick the correct color the first time!

[ This Message was edited by: ZuluMagoo 2007-02-07 06:18 ]

View Profile of ZuluMagoo Send a personal message to ZuluMagoo  Email ZuluMagoo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-25 10:23 am   Permalink

Ha! Sorry to be the cause of so much extra work. But I think when you're done you're going to be that much happier with the results. Keep us posted...

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Matt Reese
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-27 08:32 am   Permalink

Great stuff! I'm really enjoying the progress pics. You're giving me a lot of ideas for enhancing my place. You've got resource-fullness going for you for sure. I love seeing that level of creativity and attention to detail. Probably one of the coolest home bars posted on TC. Keep it coming!
Cheers.

View Profile of Matt Reese Send a personal message to Matt Reese  Email Matt Reese     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-27 6:24 pm   Permalink

Awesome work man! That sail really blows me away - so cheap yet so effective!

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bogielocks
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-09 7:21 pm   Permalink

Wow. I mean Wow!

View Profile of Bogielocks Send a personal message to Bogielocks      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2007-03-09 9:04 pm   Permalink

Lookin good! You have a lot of great ideas.
Love the crows nest, Wish I thought of that.
Good luck. good work.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Helz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-11 9:21 pm   Permalink

Zulu....

FANTASTIC work man! This place looks amazing!

View Profile of Helz Send a personal message to Helz  Email Helz Goto the website of Helz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ZuluMagoo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-25 10:04 am   Permalink

The ceiling rework is finish. It was a major pain in the ass, but it looks much better now.

I have this fantastic tapa pattern paper that I have been wanting to use, so I choose to mount it on the wall as a panel.

I took the rum barrels off the wall behind the bar so I could use the whole back wall.

I cut the sheet to size and stapled it to the wall along the edges. It is a heavy paper and I was worried about ripping and staining (splashes, etc.) so I painted three coats of clear decuopage to seal it. When it dried, it shrank a little so it removed all of the wrinkles and was hard to the touch. It worked great.

Then I trimmed out the panel along each side with bamboo (it also covered the staples). To complete, I will lash rope at the corners of the bamboo.

View Profile of ZuluMagoo Send a personal message to ZuluMagoo  Email ZuluMagoo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ZuluMagoo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-25 10:27 am   Permalink

I stumbled across these coconuts at an estate sale last week for three bucks each. The gal running the sale questioned me when I brought a bag of coconuts up to her when checking out. She told me almost threw them out when setting up the sale, but said she was never surprised at the stuff people will buy. I also got the hook out of the garage for a quarter.

I have also making 'salvaged cargo' to hang from the ceiling.

ZuluMagoo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-25 10:32 am   Permalink

Sticking with the shipwreck/nautical portion of the theme, I mounted some rigging and a mast head.

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-25 11:33 am   Permalink

Wonderful! I always wanted to use one of those Wahine figureheads! My home town of Hamburg has a bunch of stores around the port with that kind of nautical kitsch, I grew up around the sailor bar fishing net aesthetic.

I can hear the soundtrack for the Kona Luanii now:
Eden Ahbez "The Old Boat" (with the sound of creaking boat planks)
Elizabeth Waldo "Balsa Boat" (with the sound of gentle waves lapping against your imaginary Kon-Tiki)
AND the Paul Page classics "Castaway", "Pieces of Eight", and "Matey".

...can't wait to see the place with more atmospheric than flash lighting!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ZuluMagoo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-25 8:59 pm   Permalink

The waterfall (Disney's Enchanted Tiki Room tribute corner) is finished.

I added a few generic everyday tiki torches to the display, but altered them slightly to look better. My friend the handheld blow torch did a wonderful job of distressing the poles. I used my Dremel with a cutting wheel to cut off the wick screw on top of the canister. Then I painted the bottom of a ficker candle black and just set it on top of the canister. With the lights dimmed down, it is a very realistic effect and looks great. Then I finished off with a few lengths of twine glued with seashells.

Making progress, lots more to do.

Atmospheric pics sans camera flash to follow after I have finished the lighting of the bar.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation