FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Creating Tiki » » Tiki Carving » » Carving Post
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 Next Page )
Carving Post
Lake Surfer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-03-06 11:31 am   Permalink

This little guy was carved from a 7 foot pine driftwood log I found on the beach...

I found it quite easy to carve and my chisels are fine...I usually carve basswood for the ease of carving but I like the pine better for detail work...

I think if you carve... take the time to work with many types of wood if you can, you may discover some new things... I've been working with ash for my tiki lamps... a wonderful wood for detail work...
good score Polynesian Pop!

[ This Message was edited by: Lake Surfer on 2003-03-06 11:32 ]

View Profile of Lake Surfer Send a personal message to Lake Surfer      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PolynesianPop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-03-06 11:39 am   Permalink

Thanks LS. I talked to Chiki last night and he told me the biggest factor I'd need to worry about is splitting. Looks like you had that unfortunate experience first hand!

One more question -- Should I be concerned about the sap? Per Chiki, I can try carving it now and seal it as much as possible afterwards. However, I'm afraid that the logs might be full of sticky sap and I don't want to gum-up my chainsaw.

Poly-Pop *

Bartender, make mine a glass of WATAHHH!!!!!

View Profile of PolynesianPop Send a personal message to PolynesianPop  Email PolynesianPop Goto the website of PolynesianPop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chongolio
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-03-06 1:32 pm   Permalink

I have wondered about the sap factor also. I had a friend who's truck was crushed by a big cypress during one of the storms a few months back. Needless to say he has lots of cypress logs lying around his property now. But they look like they would be a sticky mess to carve.
He tells me it would be no problem, but I think he just wants me to help him clean up his property. P-pop since you have so many you could do some experimenting with them. (pruning seal, tung oil etc.) Hey Basement, impart upon us some more of that wisdom you have so much of.
I am going to go down to the beach now to check out a driftwood log my Wahine spotted a few days ago.

Chongolio

View Profile of Chongolio Send a personal message to Chongolio  Email Chongolio Goto the website of Chongolio     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-03-06 9:47 pm   Permalink

You got me as far as cypress goes. I've carved some things in pine. I have four huge 19" diameter 7 1/2-foot logs in my carving pile right now.

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kentiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-03-07 07:36 am   Permalink

There is a guy who does tikis out of cypress in the Fla. Keys (Islamorada). I couldn't tell what kind of detail you could get out of cypress. They were all carved pretty roughly with a chainsaw, etc. Didn't look too sappy, but then again, they were coated in some kind of stain & sealer.

I wanted to offer to buy a log to carve, but didn't. It looked like a fairly promising carving wood.

View Profile of Kentiki Send a personal message to Kentiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Doctor Z
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-03-07 08:16 am   Permalink

There's a guy in Gulf Breeze, FL (eBay seller name: "tigrman") who does some nice carvings out of cypress planks; I don't know if he does full poles or not. I picked up an excellent 6 1/2' plank from him a few years ago, but I haven't seen anything else by him recently. Maybe the same guy?
Ask for it by name!

View Profile of Doctor Z Send a personal message to Doctor Z  Email Doctor Z     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-03-07 7:37 pm   Permalink

Here I give you..........."The Bastard" in leiu of the thread on the bastardization of tiki. As you can see, it's an amalgam. What the hell is an amalgam you ask? ..........Nay seriously brethen, it's name is Lanakila. I am considering cutting it's nostrils off..........but once I do that, they're gone, can't get 'em back.

[ This Message was edited by: jungletrader on 2003-03-07 19:41 ]

View Profile of Jungle Trader Send a personal message to Jungle Trader  Goto the website of Jungle Trader     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GECKO
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-03-09 9:25 pm   Permalink

great job jungle trader and lake surfer! keep dem comin! hey poly wen you gon finish your tiki? I herd you talk story about it plenty. so? you neva start em yet? Hula Hula, you still carving?

gecko

View Profile of GECKO Send a personal message to GECKO  Email GECKO Goto the website of GECKO     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PolynesianPop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-03-09 9:42 pm   Permalink

Gecko, the tiki is finished. I'm pretty happy with the result considering its my first one. Maybe I'll post pics sometime (when I find the courage...)

Poly-Pop *

View Profile of PolynesianPop Send a personal message to PolynesianPop  Email PolynesianPop Goto the website of PolynesianPop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GECKO
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-03-09 9:57 pm   Permalink

PP, F courage! jus post em.....well, I still have my very first tiki to this day that i carved and i wouldn't post it so i guess i know what ya mean. so, post it! hehe

wassup with your boy Hula? he must be marinating.

View Profile of GECKO Send a personal message to GECKO  Email GECKO Goto the website of GECKO     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-03-10 08:26 am   Permalink

PP, it's cool. The first 2 I carved were so bad I threw one away and the other I gave to a friend, I couldn't believe he even wanted it. Of course, I'm not saying yours will be that bad, it's just interesting to see all the different styles and the evolution of a carver.

View Profile of Jungle Trader Send a personal message to Jungle Trader  Goto the website of Jungle Trader     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrtikibar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-03-10 1:23 pm   Permalink

PP,
My first tiki is to the point where it's pretty much done. A photo will be posted soon. What the heck.

View Profile of mrtikibar Send a personal message to mrtikibar  Email mrtikibar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Diablo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-03-11 12:24 pm   Permalink

You guys post away. The first tiki I carved looked like a chewed-up no.2 pencil. PolyPop post bro, post!

View Profile of Tiki Diablo Send a personal message to Tiki Diablo  Email Tiki Diablo Goto the website of Tiki Diablo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lake Surfer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-03-11 12:41 pm   Permalink

Just finished up another one of my tiki lamps for a customer outside of Detroit... here's a little peek...

View Profile of Lake Surfer Send a personal message to Lake Surfer      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PolynesianPop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-03-11 2:55 pm   Permalink

OK guys, I'll drink some of that Pumpkin Beer tonight to see if I can grow some balls. So far, only those that have visited me and my 3 tiki mug collection have seen it.

Poly-Pop *

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation