FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Carving Post
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 Next Page )
Carving Post
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-03-20 3:27 pm   Permalink

Barking is my least favorite core, but great for the pecks. Your tikis look better than my first attempts at carving wood! You should stick with it.

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrtikibar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-03-20 4:34 pm   Permalink

Maybe these guys can be hired for the tedious barking chore.

PolyPop,
Good carving. If I had a pumpkin beer I'd raise one in a toast.

View Profile of mrtikibar Send a personal message to mrtikibar  Email mrtikibar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-03-20 4:58 pm   Permalink

Holy Moly, those look pretty good Poly. Better then my first one too.
Tiki King nice work, and Tikifille it's great to see your work too.
We've got some very talented folks here. keep it up. Can't wait to hear what Gecko says about your's Poly Pop. He'll say "looks like you grew some huevos". HAHA!

Oki NiKsoKoWa
(Hello all my relatives)
TikiJungle.com

View Profile of Jungle Trader Send a personal message to Jungle Trader  Goto the website of Jungle Trader     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chongolio
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-03-20 6:05 pm   Permalink

P-Pop,
Your way to hard on yourself. Those tikis look pretty dang good to me. Keep at it.
The polyurethane is an interesting twist.

Chongolio

View Profile of Chongolio Send a personal message to Chongolio  Email Chongolio Goto the website of Chongolio     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PolynesianPop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-03-20 6:26 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the encouraging words guys. As a tiki enthusiast, I see many great carvings - especially on this board. Mine is obviously first grader stuff but I'm on my way I guess. Carving IS fun - a great way to clear the mind.

BK - Maybe one day I can try weapons like yours. I figure the best way to learn is to just jump in and do it.

mrtikibar - thanks for the compliment. If you ever make it to So Cal, the first Pumpkin Beer is on me!

JT - Thanks! Yes, it would be interesting to see what G says -- what's pidgin for "huevos?"

Chongolio - Thanks for the comp. After some of the work I've seen on this board, I was REALLY intimidated to post my stuff. BTW - the polyurethane is to protect it from the elements as it will probably sit on my front porch.

Thanks again everyone. Now that I've posted mine, let's see some others! I know I can't be the ONLY one here who's carved something and was afraid to post it!

Poly-Pop *

[ This Message was edited by: PolynesianPop on 2003-03-20 18:34 ]

View Profile of PolynesianPop Send a personal message to PolynesianPop  Email PolynesianPop Goto the website of PolynesianPop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KAHAKA
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-03-20 6:31 pm   Permalink

Poly-pop.......

Those tikis are awesome! You're being way too humble. Man, I hope my first one looks half as good as those do! Now I'm really nervous.......

View Profile of KAHAKA Send a personal message to KAHAKA  Email KAHAKA Goto the website of KAHAKA     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Turbogod
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-03-20 7:11 pm   Permalink

Polypop,
I agree you were being way to hard on yourself. They look great. I am working on one right now,based on my signature, but have been able to get the time to finish it.

BK like the splits? His name is the Mad Moai. Probably will stain it darker. Gonna try some fire on this one. Next step for me: 5 - 6 footers. I think I am ready. Gonna try to do 'um up nice for the PoweroftheTiki's deck bar this spring/summer.

View Profile of Turbogod Send a personal message to Turbogod      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PolynesianPop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-03-20 8:37 pm   Permalink

Kahaka - Thanks for the awesome comp! Nervous? Yeah, I know bro. That's why it took me so long to post. Just go for it - what have you got to lose?

TG - Thank you for the comp. Hey man, that looks just like your logo! Bet it took forever to cut around the teeth!

Poly-Pop *

Bartender, make mine a glass of WATAHHH!!!!!

View Profile of PolynesianPop Send a personal message to PolynesianPop  Email PolynesianPop Goto the website of PolynesianPop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-03-20 8:38 pm   Permalink

Am I the only one that likes cracking? It just seems to me like every old tiki I've ever been infatuated with has had a crack or two that just "arrows in" the personality and story of the thing. I like old things, I like the aging on old things.

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PolynesianPop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-03-20 8:40 pm   Permalink

BK, I think cracking adds character to a piece. I recently purchased a 4ft burnt redwood pole from Bosko. It had cracks & checks all over it but it looks so natural on the log. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Poly-Pop *

Bartender, make mine a glass of WATAHHH!!!!!

Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-03-20 8:58 pm   Permalink

Yeah, It (a little cracking) just does something for it in a good way that can't be explained. Look at the tikis at the Place Of Refuge in Hawaii, and you can see what I'm trying to say. Just looks more "been there forever". By the way, Pop and Turbo, you have a super pieces in the kitty there...You got some talent you never knew about, and tiki creativity to boot.

[ This Message was edited by: Basement Kahuna on 2003-03-20 21:00 ]

Ikit
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-03-20 9:00 pm   Permalink

Does anyone know if some cracking is "added" to newer pieces by some of the more well known artists? I think that it could add character.

View Profile of Ikit Send a personal message to Ikit      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-03-20 9:21 pm   Permalink

I dunno. You can carve green medium or soft woods(but not too green) and you'll get a crack or a little checking somewhere here or there almost certainly, unless you've got a "1-in-10" piece of wood.

Turbogod
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-03-20 10:09 pm   Permalink

Thanks Poly,
Yeah, I'm halfway around the mouth now. I like a little cracking too. I think it looks good on some Tiki. Mine crack 'cause I hadn't heard of the pruning sealer idea until weeks after they startred to crack.

View Profile of Turbogod Send a personal message to Turbogod      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikifille
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-03-20 10:23 pm   Permalink

Poly Pop- Nice work. I think both pieces came out great. The learning curve is exponential in your first pieces. Great job and cudos for bravery.

BK- I actually position cracks so that they end up in more elevated/viewed areas. I love it when the same fissure runs through an eye, the nose, the lips and a tooth (without knocking the tooth out). It's the ultimate tiki character.

View Profile of tikifille Send a personal message to tikifille      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation