FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Carving Post
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 Next Page )
Carving Post
GECKO
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-04-09 12:18 pm   Permalink

whos da tourist in da piture playin with my im aka? jus kiddin'
I'm glad your enjoying my aka BK. Wen you finish playing with it send to me ya.

eh Poly p, good luck with da body braddah! your taking da next step that begining carvers a scared to take! a lot quicker that the average begginer to take dat step too! mus be da Filipino blood in ya braddah! good luck!

No worries mr TikiBar, i gon see you one day here at LaMarianas! no need fo rush. aloha braddah!

ok villagerz, i must go fo work now.

Alohaz!

View Profile of GECKO Send a personal message to GECKO  Email GECKO Goto the website of GECKO     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hula hula
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-04-09 12:58 pm   Permalink

damn that buggas got wun JLo okole!

View Profile of hula hula Send a personal message to hula hula  Email hula hula Goto the website of hula hula     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GECKO
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-04-09 1:31 pm   Permalink

eh wassup HH, good eye Hula! J-lo was just here posing for the sculpture for tangaroas okole! i got it pretty close eh!

ewww i love dat wahine!if she was here i wouldnt be playin with any chizles!

View Profile of GECKO Send a personal message to GECKO  Email GECKO Goto the website of GECKO     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Diablo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-04-09 11:25 pm   Permalink

Dizaaaammn, junk in da trunk! G. BK I like yours too, I gotta get my hands on a log like that, I started carving in hardwood, and kinda miss it. Tikifreak, don't get all crazy, just take this for what it's worth from a fellow carver. Wayne Coombs is a very important figure in TIKI. Of the still active carvers, NO ONE TOPS Leroy, but Wayne is OLD SCHOOL and his contribution to the staying power and popularity of tiki is immense. These forerunners still pave the way for us newschool carvers to make a buck at carving. Educate yourself about the greats and pay your respects to them. In our minds we all have our own style and unique interpretation of Tiki. I've talked to the carvers that have influenced me and have made it a point to tell them so. Leroy and C'Al are a couple of mine. I'm a few years younger than you and don't claim to know it all, but I've learned that it's always best to talk softly and carry a big tiki. Sorry to anybody I might piss off with this long-a$$ opinion. After this post I will retire my written comments on this carving thread. Keep carving peeps.

View Profile of Tiki Diablo Send a personal message to Tiki Diablo  Email Tiki Diablo Goto the website of Tiki Diablo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lake Surfer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-04-10 12:41 am   Permalink

Chickitiki... I agree with you... it pays to do a history lesson... and I have a high respect for all you mentioned including others historically covered in TBOT. Before I ever picked up a chisel I hung out with books from the library reading the history of the cultures and stories of the Gods... Personally, I'm with Gecko and BK in that I like to reflect the classic style of carving, and a little Israel Kamakawiwo'ole helps my mood too...
Makes my dark midwestern basement seem a little more island like...

View Profile of Lake Surfer Send a personal message to Lake Surfer      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-04-10 01:17 am   Permalink

Damned fine, Geck, as always....Hey I just got the courage up to send Leroy some pics of some of my stuff....Probably good for a laugh on his end, but I hear he's a real nice guy for being the Dalai Llama of Tiki carving!

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PolynesianPop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-04-10 07:41 am   Permalink

Amen Chiki and LS.... my thoughts exactly.

Poly-Pop *

Bartender, make mine a glass of WATAHHH!!!!!

View Profile of PolynesianPop Send a personal message to PolynesianPop  Email PolynesianPop Goto the website of PolynesianPop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-04-10 07:55 am   Permalink

Holy Moly, GT, and BK. You guys are a step above, an inspiration to the rest of us.

View Profile of Jungle Trader Send a personal message to Jungle Trader  Goto the website of Jungle Trader     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-04-10 8:35 pm   Permalink

Duuuuude! I just got big props in a letter from Bob Van Oosting and Leroy Schmaltz! I had to muster up all of the courage I could to send them photos! They actually said the words "Well done", "workmanship", and "talent". I feel like a Chaiou Lin who just got an audience with the Kung Fu Masters! Two nicer guys there never were...they even spoke of a guy that carved for them for 20 years named Ed Crissman that specialized in Marquesan and Tahitian figures...said he passed away a while back.I'd love to find out more about him and his work.

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PolynesianPop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-04-10 9:12 pm   Permalink

BK, Ed Crissman was a legend. His work is absolutely unbelievable! An example can be found on page 245 in the BOT. Traditionally styled carvings yet distinctly his own.

Poly-Pop *

View Profile of PolynesianPop Send a personal message to PolynesianPop  Email PolynesianPop Goto the website of PolynesianPop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-04-11 01:12 am   Permalink

That's what I'd like to go for.

GECKO
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-04-13 1:28 pm   Permalink

Alohaz peopo,

Congrats on da props BK from OA. I know how you wen feel. I was pretty estatic da first time dey bought sum of my work fo resale and den found out dat it all sold in da first week!! AUWIE!

anyways, here is the one week old Tangaroa finished. I wanted him to look vintage like he jus wen come from da old Trader vics tree house in Waikiki.

shoots

Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-04-13 3:44 pm   Permalink

That's a masterful aging job on Tonga...high point wear and all....that's the way I personally like 'em. You da monsta!

Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-04-13 4:43 pm   Permalink

Holy Sweet Mother of.....
Gecko.........you.......I'm at a loss for words.........awesome work.

[ This Message was edited by: jungletrader on 2003-04-13 16:45 ]

View Profile of Jungle Trader Send a personal message to Jungle Trader  Goto the website of Jungle Trader     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PolynesianPop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-04-13 6:48 pm   Permalink

Gecko, very nice! Perfect job on the aging - looks like he's 50 years old.

Poly-Pop *

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation