FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Carving Post
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 Next Page )
Carving Post
MaD-TiKi
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-04-17 11:50 am   Permalink

Thanks for all the info Poly-Pop, They are cutting down pine trees across the street to build new houses so I will go over and see if I can cut a few four feet logs. Do I have to seal the top and bottom before I start to work or wait and seal it all after I'm done?

Bk, thanks for your info also. How hard is it to get the layer of sap off? I don't think we have any white pine around here so I will just try the pine I can get. I have a few drawings ready to go, so I can wait to get started. Thanks guys for all your help.

MaD-TiKi

[ This Message was edited by: MaD-TiKi on 2003-04-17 11:50 ]

View Profile of MaD-TiKi Send a personal message to MaD-TiKi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PolynesianPop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-04-17 11:58 am   Permalink

MT,
Go get those logs!! I've been carving pine lately because my buddy just cut down a 45 year old pine tree and saved me a bunch of logs. So needless to say, I've got pine coming out of my ass right now.

To answer your question, I sealed the logs AFTER I carved them.

Poly-Pop *

Bartender, make mine a glass of WATAHHH!!!!!

View Profile of PolynesianPop Send a personal message to PolynesianPop  Email PolynesianPop Goto the website of PolynesianPop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-04-17 12:00 pm   Permalink

It wouldn't hurt to seal both ends ahead of time. Use Deft clear sealer (you have to saturate with this) or a good pruning seal, such as Spectracide. Logs lose 85 % of their moisture through the cut ends. This slows the drying and therefore slows the cracking and checking.

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chongolio
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-04-17 5:14 pm   Permalink

Great job on the shelves Tikitony. Those came out looking very sharp. Mad-Tiki, your carvin' is too bad ass for birds, you should make it an alligator feeder! Just watch the fingers!
BK, Mahlo for the draw blade and planer tip. I have been using a 1" chisel up to now to get the bark off and have never thought to use a planer.
Here is my new garden tiki named appropriately enough Kupukupu hulu (Fern hair.)

Kupukupu is made from the tree that smashed my buddies truck.

I made a bowl in the top of his head using charcoal embers.

It was very tribal and interesting technique to use, but It took awhile to do and I smelled like smoke for three days. It also caused a few cracks. After the hole was burned out, I sanded it and sealed it with pruning seal then gave the whole log the tung (oil that is.) After that I drilled a drainage hole and filled it up with soil and a fern. And there you have it.
A few things had me....stumped, but overall I am happy with the way it came out and I had a lot of fun making this one.

Thanks for peepin'
Chongolio

Chongolio.com
Stoke & Flow
Facebook

View Profile of Chongolio Send a personal message to Chongolio  Email Chongolio Goto the website of Chongolio     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-04-17 5:36 pm   Permalink

Aloha Chongolio,

I love the technique you used to burn the spot for the fern. Is that stump-turned-tiki still in the same place as it was when it was a tree?

Up here on Vancouver Island our beaches are full of all sorts of driftwood, many still tree size(too dry maybe?). I've been thinking of trying my hand at carving, and we have pleanty of cedar! I was wondering if anyone has tried Douglas Fir? I seem to remember fir being a softer wood, since my parent's house had floors of it.

-Tikiwahine

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
keigs20
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-04-17 8:17 pm   Permalink

Bk, Polypop, madtiki, thanks, I too am no master. When I think I am doing ok Bill brings me back to reality. Wish I had half the talent and artist eye he has. He can not only carve a piece of wood but brings it to life. His attention to detail is amazing. I dont think that can be taught. Must be a natural talent. Maybe many years of trial and error. Maddtiki I always carve my initials and date on a piece so it is not mistaken for Witco. There are a few pieces I forgot to sign though. Everyones stuff looks great. A nice variety, makes us all masters no matter what anyone else thinks.

View Profile of keigs20 Send a personal message to keigs20  Email keigs20 Goto the website of keigs20     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-04-17 10:02 pm   Permalink

Here's Cookollosu's new home for now....He may go to Hukilau to keep us drunks company in our swank hotel room at the Holiday Inn Beachfront!

[ This Message was edited by: Basement Kahuna on 2003-04-17 22:02 ]

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chongolio
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-04-21 6:19 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-04-17 17:36, Tikiwahine wrote:
Is that stump-turned-tiki still in the same place as it was when it was a tree?
-Tikiwahine

No, the log I used is at my pad now. I have the tiki sitting on a old stump that is in my backyard.
Chongolio

View Profile of Chongolio Send a personal message to Chongolio  Email Chongolio Goto the website of Chongolio     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lake Surfer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-04-27 01:34 am   Permalink

New guy... ready for staining...!

[ This Message was edited by: Lake Surfer 2005-09-01 09:19 ]

View Profile of Lake Surfer Send a personal message to Lake Surfer      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-04-29 2:13 pm   Permalink

Nice stuff, Lake..Is it Basswood?

Lake Surfer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-04-29 3:54 pm   Permalink

Aloha B.K.!

Yes, more basswood, but a better chunk than some other ones I've had. I've noticed that basswood varies depending on what part of the tree you cut from. I'm going for the newer growth lately, the grain seems tighter packed and doesn't chip and crumble as much...

Mahalo for the compliment!

View Profile of Lake Surfer Send a personal message to Lake Surfer      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-05-04 7:51 pm   Permalink

Here's my latest, named him Bad Hair Day

View Profile of Jungle Trader Send a personal message to Jungle Trader  Goto the website of Jungle Trader     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
keigs20
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-05-05 12:21 am   Permalink

Here are a few totems I just finished for some fellow TCers. I hope they dont mind that I posted pics.

View Profile of keigs20 Send a personal message to keigs20  Email keigs20 Goto the website of keigs20     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-05-05 07:44 am   Permalink

Hey Keigs, what kind of wood is that? I like it.

[ This Message was edited by: jungletrader on 2003-05-05 07:45 ]

View Profile of Jungle Trader Send a personal message to Jungle Trader  Goto the website of Jungle Trader     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PolynesianPop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-05-05 07:48 am   Permalink

Hey guys, stellar work as always! Got some more logs here I've been wanting chop into, just haven't had the time. Need more practice if I want to get as good as some of the folks here.

Poly-Pop *

Bartender, make mine a glass of WATAHHH!!!!!

View Profile of PolynesianPop Send a personal message to PolynesianPop  Email PolynesianPop Goto the website of PolynesianPop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation