FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Carving Post
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 Next Page )
Carving Post
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-06-02 12:41 pm   Permalink

Cool Tongaroa, Chongolio I like'um. Here's a scan of my latest design (not quite fully sketched) I'm about to be "'Goin in" for the next couple of weeks....Hopefully It'll turn out like I want it (design is based on an original Maori house truss support in the Rarotua museum) and I can have it and one or two more new pieces added to the Hukilau batch for show or sale. It is going to be fairly labor intensive as this is a deep relief carving with lots of scoopwork but I love a challenge...this will be done in some 3-inch thick clean poplar that I have.

[ This Message was edited by: Basement Kahuna on 2003-08-10 22:01 ]

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikifreak
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-06-02 5:32 pm   Permalink

Awesome Base! That is going be sooooooo RAD! Pretty good artist there dude........Drew it yourself eh? Good work:)

T.F.

View Profile of tikifreak Send a personal message to tikifreak  Email tikifreak Goto the website of tikifreak     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-06-02 6:17 pm   Permalink

Yep..that's my drawing...if you want a simple method of getting perfect left-to-right balance of both halves of a conceptual sketch, draw a straight line up the middle of your paper, and sketch half the tiki from the middle out (starting from that line as your middle). Make an inkjet transparency (available anywhere)of your finished half- sketch, then make a copy of the transparency, then flip it and make another copy. Put your two halves together and -viola! Exact side to side matching. You can then white out any details you want to alter and ink them in.

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-06-16 12:40 am   Permalink

Here is some progress on my maori piece.....I wanted him to be large so it came down to large figural with more inlay or smaller panelized figure with less inlay; I opted for the first. In the first photo you see the blank (which burned out a 1/2 hp radial jigsaw...I mean literally on fire). In the second you see my Abalone inlay pieces. The eyes I did by reversing a black fossil shell, cutting out of it two black pupils, and then inlaying them into abalone circles. I use a rotozip with a tile bit for this and a respirator (Bob Van Oosting told me the abalone dust can be very dangerous, like asbestos). The third is the view from my beat up old chair! Note the white glove on the floor...My dear sweet wife just bought that for me...Steel filament wrapped in polyester fiber. Guess she's had enough of my carving related E.R. visits! The last two are of the progress so far.

PolynesianPop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-06-16 07:38 am   Permalink

BK, that's coming together real nice! What are the overall dimensions?

Poly-Pop *

Bartender, make mine a glass of WATAHHH!!!!!

View Profile of PolynesianPop Send a personal message to PolynesianPop  Email PolynesianPop Goto the website of PolynesianPop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Boob
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-06-16 09:13 am   Permalink

TikiFreak,

That skinny one with the "snarl lip" (previous page) reminds me of Sid Vicious. Very cool! I dig it!

View Profile of Boob Send a personal message to Boob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-06-16 6:01 pm   Permalink

Pop, it's around 38 x 20 or thereabouts.

Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-06-17 4:30 pm   Permalink

Maori "scaling" relief effects...here's my method, for what it's worth. First I complete the plunge, or guide cuts. You must use a very thin flat bladed chisel (in this case a small one). Mark your depth on the blade with a magic marker so you'll have consistency. In this case all the plunges are 90 degrees. Tap carefully to avoid a grain split. Next, begin angling the scales in. Be mindful of the direction you want them to flow in. The best way to avoid damage is to proceed in layers, working just a little wood off each scale at a time, until you have a nice, clean slope which stops just above the guide cut depth (for a clean cut). Viola...a complete scale.

[ This Message was edited by: Basement Kahuna on 2003-06-17 16:31 ]

DarkTiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-06-18 04:12 am   Permalink

Strange day...been a lookyloo here once in a while but never posted anything. So here goes...
I have a Luau or a big BBQ at my house every year, last year a clambake. This year I plan to rebuild my tikibar and start carving some tiki's. But I need palm wood and some direction on how to start carving it. I pass this one house almost everyday with TIKI's everywhere, and I thought to my self who is this person and where did they buy all these tiki's, or do they carve them? I finally had to stop today and met Dawna and to my surprise she showed me the tiki sanctuary AND explained a few things about starting my endeavor.
Thank you Dawna

Christian

View Profile of DarkTiki Send a personal message to DarkTiki  Email DarkTiki Goto the website of DarkTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-06-18 08:04 am   Permalink

Welcome to TC DarkTiki. TC is "The Land of No Return"! You are entranced and forever in the claws of TIKI!!! HA,HA,HAHAHAHAHAHA! (EVIL LAUGH)

Oki NiKsoKoWa
(Hello all my relatives)
TikiJungle.com

View Profile of Jungle Trader Send a personal message to Jungle Trader  Goto the website of Jungle Trader     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
purple jade
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-06-18 08:04 am   Permalink

Oy, Kahuna, the patience you must have! It makes my back ache just thinking about it! I love seeing those work in progress pics, and it's great to see the actual techniques used.
I'm very anxious to see this one completed, I think I have a picture of the one on which it's modeled.

Hey, HGTV has some show called Ultimate Basements or something? When are YOU gonna be on it?

View Profile of purple jade Send a personal message to purple jade  Email purple jade Goto the website of purple jade     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PolynesianPop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-06-18 08:54 am   Permalink

Aloha DarkTiki and Welcome to the Tribe! When you stated the house full of tikis for some reason Dawna came to mind. I'm glad you guys met. Did she mention she's a TC'er too? Her carvings are awesome aren't they?

Hey BK, I love the detailed pics! Keep posting those progress pics. From TraderPup's SEIR Project, to Gecko's Maori pole, to this panel, I really enjoy seeing watching to process of a masterpiece as it takes shape.

Poly-Pop *

Bartender, make mine a glass of WATAHHH!!!!!

View Profile of PolynesianPop Send a personal message to PolynesianPop  Email PolynesianPop Goto the website of PolynesianPop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikijaksin
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-06-18 09:05 am   Permalink

Basement that Maori is lookin' tight.cant wait to see youre tikis at the Hukilau. the Tikis carved by all you guys here just get kooler and kooler. for any of you guys who dont already know. I stay in FL.and I can supply any of you guys who want to carve outta good palmwood with poles of any size the same palmwood that we use to make our Kreepy tikis and all those other well known Fl.style tikis made here.these poles are mostly ready to carve and are guaranteed not to rot if you follow the simple directions of weatherproofin'.anyone interested you can email me at Kreepytiki@hotmail.com Ok? OK

View Profile of tikijaksin Send a personal message to tikijaksin  Email tikijaksin Goto the website of tikijaksin     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikifreak
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-06-18 09:31 am   Permalink

Thanks Boob. Glad you liked it. Heard a few people say it looks like Elvis??? Go figure. Anyhoo, thanks for da kine words!

Base it's looking awesome! You da man.

Peace, Freak.

View Profile of tikifreak Send a personal message to tikifreak  Email tikifreak Goto the website of tikifreak     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-06-18 10:25 am   Permalink

I believe Dark met Tikifille, am I correct?

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation