FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Carving Post
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 Next Page )
Carving Post
PolynesianPop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-06-18 11:50 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-06-18 10:25, Basement Kahuna wrote:
I believe Dark met Tikifille, am I correct?

That's Her!

Poly-Pop *

Bartender, make mine a glass of WATAHHH!!!!!

View Profile of PolynesianPop Send a personal message to PolynesianPop  Email PolynesianPop Goto the website of PolynesianPop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikifille
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-06-18 10:06 pm   Permalink

Yeah BK, Christian was chez moi. BK- Your photos are incredible. A neighbor of mine, Frank, actually stops by and just watches me carve. As I work I can make insightful comments. Your photos, however, are exactly what a novice/pro carver needs to hear/be reminded of. Oh the grain traumas. Christian has found a resource, TC that is, that is beyond anything he could find in his neighborhood.

[ This Message was edited by: tikifille on 2003-06-19 07:17 ]

View Profile of tikifille Send a personal message to tikifille      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikifille
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-06-18 10:12 pm   Permalink

Oh BK- back in my studio carpenter days I was fired off a show for catching a Skil saw on fire (cutting tight radii without a relief blade). It was a Skil brand skil saw...so I deserved it. So here's the question....did you catch a Makita or BOSCH (and the light shines through and the angels sing--Bosch IS the brand) on fire? If so, place 2 stars by your name. Or did you catch a Black and Decker or Craftsman on fire? (Don't make me come down to Jawja and slap you!)

View Profile of tikifille Send a personal message to tikifille      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-06-19 02:42 am   Permalink

I buy $5.00-10.00 used jigsaws at the flea market (in this case a Skil radial jigsaw)due to the fact that I know I'll kill them. In my other art (I spent years painting twisted 2-d cartoons on plywood)and in tiki I bet I've been through 20 jigsaws. I could smell the ozone in my garage for days after that one!

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chongolio
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-06-19 10:23 am   Permalink

BK, That is lookin' sweet. Thanks for postin' the picks and the walk thru. I love seeing the in progress shots too.
All y'all keep up the tool talk. I can dig all that too. Being a new to the art of carvin' I have been doing all my carvin' with a set of three wood chisels from OSH. A craftman router and cutting tool with a flexible shaft. I want to get some more chisels for intricate work but not too savvy in the tool dept. I have seen a few carvin sets going for cheap-cheap on ebay.
So my question are, what's a braddah and sistah look for when buying good chisels? What are good brand names and essential types of chisels?
Thanks in advance for your knowledges.

Chongolio

Chongolio.com
Stoke & Flow
Facebook

View Profile of Chongolio Send a personal message to Chongolio  Email Chongolio Goto the website of Chongolio     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-06-19 10:44 am   Permalink

A good set of Sheffield carving chisels will last you a lifetime and cut like butter. Henry Taylor is a good brand, I swear bt two of their chisels. ( leevalley.com is a good source ) A set of E-bay Taiwan chisels will frustrate you, not keep an edge, and take maybe ten hammer whacks before the handles split in two.

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lake Surfer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-06-20 12:06 am   Permalink

Three footer just finished up this week... sorry for the crappy photo, had to shoot it indoors...

View Profile of Lake Surfer Send a personal message to Lake Surfer      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-06-20 12:15 am   Permalink

Nice tiki, Lake....Here is Hei Tiki as he appears today...getting his Moko right now.

Lake Surfer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-06-20 12:23 am   Permalink

Wow... beautiful work! Precise craftsmanship! A piece you should be very proud of!

View Profile of Lake Surfer Send a personal message to Lake Surfer      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-06-20 12:32 am   Permalink

Not as precise as I'd like by a longshot, but I tend to criticize myself into the gutter on my carvings. If it was too clean it wouldn't look like an old Maori piece, which is the desired effect...

Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-06-20 08:07 am   Permalink

Lake Surfer, BK, all you guys are getting better everyday. BK, I'm like you. I'm very critical of my work. One of my very first 2 ft. tall carvings was going in the trash when a friend of mine said he would take it. 2 years later (now) I see it in his backyard and I wouldn't mind having it back, but I'm glad he has it, good advertising. People that see it are calling me to teach them to carve. HOLY SMOKES. I'm still teachin' myself and learning from you guys.

View Profile of Jungle Trader Send a personal message to Jungle Trader  Goto the website of Jungle Trader     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-06-23 03:37 am   Permalink

Upper body complete, palm parting tool work and all. The palm chisel work is something that you just have to do to learn...it can't really be explained. All that is left is the legs and the inlay work! I stuck the eyes on with some floral clay for the photo. It will have abalone inlaid eyes, teeth, and knuckles.

PolynesianPop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-06-23 08:39 am   Permalink

Al and Shelley of the Fabulous Lagoon Room hosted a carving session this past weekend. Check out the pics:

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=4323&forum=4&8

Poly-Pop *

Bartender, make mine a glass of WATAHHH!!!!!

View Profile of PolynesianPop Send a personal message to PolynesianPop  Email PolynesianPop Goto the website of PolynesianPop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-06-23 09:52 am   Permalink

Looked like a fun day!

Octane
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-06-23 2:47 pm   Permalink

hi, i'm new here and just starting to carve tikis with chainsaws and chisels, i would like to put up a couple of pictures of my first one (that i just about finished) but i don't know how to post a picture can anyone help me out.

Thanks

View Profile of Octane Send a personal message to Octane      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation