FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Carving Post
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 Next Page )
Carving Post
PolynesianPop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-06-23 3:12 pm   Permalink

Octane, Aloha and Welcome to the Tribe! You can check out the FAQ for directions on posting pictures. Here's a link:

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/faq.php#embed

Poly-Pop *

Bartender, make mine a glass of WATAHHH!!!!!

View Profile of PolynesianPop Send a personal message to PolynesianPop  Email PolynesianPop Goto the website of PolynesianPop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Octane
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-06-23 5:28 pm   Permalink

thanks for the help i hope this works.

this is my second attempt at a palm log, the log was short and squatty, only 16" tall and 24" in diameter.

This is my first attempt with another peice of short squatty Palm.

this is a collection of flat masks. (alla Bosco style)

Here is my second palm again, that my mom turned into a plant holder, there is also a little tiki i carve used as a plant stake

[ This Message was edited by: Octane on 2003-06-23 17:30 ]

View Profile of Octane Send a personal message to Octane      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-06-24 10:19 pm   Permalink

Here is the finished Maori meeting house image. I thought it turned out nice...what do you all think? It looks like a very old piece which was my goal. Each time I tackle a Maori piece I become more and more in awe of the craftsmanship in their carvings and the power of their imagery...it blows me away. I only hope I do them any justice at all. I'm going to put a pic on a regular thread so someone besides us carving nerds can see.

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cultjam
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-06-24 10:42 pm   Permalink

BK, I could waste all night trying to find the right words, you've done it again. Wow.

View Profile of Cultjam Send a personal message to Cultjam      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Octane
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-06-27 09:53 am   Permalink

here are some of my carvings i have done in the past two weeks, not sure if they are done yet.

This is my first Tikis they are made of flat wood are are more masks ( but not really)

This is my first attempt at a peice of palm wood. a friend got the wood for me. the stump was interestingly sized at 16" high and 24" in diameter.

This is my second attempt at anothe peice of the palm log.

here is another picture of the second one where my mom used it as a plant stand, you might also be albe to see a little tiki i carved out of a stake in the plant.

here is one i worked on yesterday, not sure what else to do to it, but it doesn't seem finished

well there are my carvings, i had never used a chainsaw or chisel until about two weeks ago so i hope i can get better, but it sure is fun.

[ This Message was edited by: Octane on 2003-06-27 10:07 ]

View Profile of Octane Send a personal message to Octane      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kentikitone

Posted: 2003-06-27 1:46 pm   Permalink

hi, another newbie here. i have been contemplating a carving attempt. i think i will really love to do it. here's the problem, i live in kentucky. anyone have any idea of what kind of wood i can use? palm logs are a bit scarce here in henderson ky. so what should i use? any old log that washes up on the banks of the ohio river? tools are questionable to me too? i need help. help me!

View Profile of kentikitone Send a personal message to kentikitone  Goto the website of kentikitone     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-06-27 4:26 pm   Permalink

Kentikitone, welcome to TC. I'm sure you have cedar out yonder. I think Basement Kahuna (a prolific carver here on TC) uses a lot of cedar down in Jawja. Try it. Good luck.

Oki NiKsoKoWa
(Hello all my relatives)
TikiJungle.com

View Profile of Jungle Trader Send a personal message to Jungle Trader  Goto the website of Jungle Trader     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kentikitone

Posted: 2003-06-28 09:36 am   Permalink

well, i'll get papaw and we'll can walk back in the woods, amunx-da stumps. I bet he knows where yuns can find somes cedars. thank ya. heh.

View Profile of kentikitone Send a personal message to kentikitone  Goto the website of kentikitone     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bendatiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-06-28 11:23 am   Permalink

A Tahitian Mauru'uru to all you carvers who posted photos! Alot of talent in this group! Next time I see a palm trunk on the street to be picked up by the cleaners (can you believe someone would cut down a palm?) I'm going back for it! And thanks to all who made me feel so welcome at TC! P.S. to jungletrader - Yes Woodland's location is right where you thought!

View Profile of bendatiki Send a personal message to bendatiki  Email bendatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-06-28 12:11 pm   Permalink

What ever you do, don't grab a palm that's been in contact with the ground for any length of time. It will absorb water like a sponge and rot faster then you can say, "Dammit, I wish I hadn't carved that one!"

View Profile of Jungle Trader Send a personal message to Jungle Trader  Goto the website of Jungle Trader     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bendatiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-06-28 12:19 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the info on palm tree trunks, I had not a clue that could happen! I will select carefully.

View Profile of bendatiki Send a personal message to bendatiki  Email bendatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chongolio
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-06-28 12:55 pm   Permalink

Nice work on the Tikis Octane Keep up the carvin and postin' I like the plant holder. A lot of my tikis end up with that job.
B.K. Thanks for all the help with chisels, I appreciate all you input. Your Maori panel is awesome. You are ready to quit your day job!
My philosophy on carving and tools is to jump in and experiment with what you have. I learn volumes by watching this thread and askin questions. Ihave recently begun to rethink picking up a chainsaw to help prep and make larger tikis less formidable and time consuming.
Chongolio

Chongolio.com
Stoke & Flow
Facebook

View Profile of Chongolio Send a personal message to Chongolio  Email Chongolio Goto the website of Chongolio     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikitony
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-06-28 1:30 pm   Permalink

hEy octane, I just left SLO, graduated from cal poly 2 weeks ago, and I carve as well. You must have seen Palapa Juan's behind Moondogies surf shop (not me). There's also a gnarly pair o' tikis in front of a house owned by Insomniac Video owners. (owner carves) Right off of Monterey St. turn at the Animation Video store (bright yellow sign) then a quick left, at the end of the dead end. The new Trader Joe's has 2 in front(not mine either) but they commissioned me to do a third. heres a link to my tiki installation at school a month ago. http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=3856&forum=1

View Profile of tikitony Send a personal message to tikitony  Email tikitony Goto the website of tikitony     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Octane
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-06-28 5:43 pm   Permalink

hi tikitony i just got excepted to Poly, as a business major. the tiki's in front of the house of the Insomniac video owners, one of the owners works with my mom. i saw the guy down town Behind moondogies but he was wasn't open and i had kind of forgot about him so i haven't been back.
i'm just getting started, i was having trouble finding wood until my parents (with conections) put a few calls in and found out that the city was cutting down a 60 foot palm and i could have it all, so i hope to carve a few more.

i have in mind a tiki bench with two of the short stump like ones in my pictures. notch the top and put a big old hunk of red wood as the seat.

Lake Surfer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-06-29 10:46 pm   Permalink

Very much like one I had carved a month ago for myself... this one is sold and is weather proofed for the harsh Midwest weather...

Good work all!

View Profile of Lake Surfer Send a personal message to Lake Surfer      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation