FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Carving Post
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 Next Page )
Carving Post
PolynesianPop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-12-22 5:55 pm   Permalink

Chiki,
I've always tried to say "don't lie to yourself and say you can carve." But I've always been curious about it. Not knowing where to get logs has kept me away from trying it. I'll probably crash and burn and embarrass myself in the process --but the curiousity of at least trying is killing me.

Now, where did you say I could that log again?..

Poly-Pop *

Bartender, make mine a glass of WATAHHH!!!!!

View Profile of PolynesianPop Send a personal message to PolynesianPop  Email PolynesianPop Goto the website of PolynesianPop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hula hula
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-12-22 7:07 pm   Permalink

ok I need a little help, how do they get that witco-esq burn with the dark veins. I know its burnt, but is it charred then stained or what. Im trying to get that look for a sign im doing and it 's just not there yet. see pic

I was gonna try some ebony stain after , but wanted to try on a small piece first.
little help

View Profile of hula hula Send a personal message to hula hula  Email hula hula Goto the website of hula hula     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-12 7:17 pm   Permalink

Here is a 5 1/2 foot Marquesan/Cali Cartoon style pole I am working on ....Always admired those poles in every Trader Vic's...This tiki will be available exclusively in our hotel room at the even more exclusive Hukilau 2003. Next to it is a New Guinea clan style paddle made of solid cherry...the incising/paint pattern reverses on the other side.

[ This Message was edited by: Basement Kahuna on 2003-01-12 19:19 ]

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Turbogod
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-12 9:05 pm   Permalink

Hey BK what kind of wood you using? That guy's looking great.

View Profile of Turbogod Send a personal message to Turbogod      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-12 9:56 pm   Permalink

That would be poplar...a wood thats kind of akin to basswood but maybe a bit more fibrous...common in Georgia and North Carolina....If you ever carve it keep a can of boiled linseed oil for drying control...paint every deep cut and seal both ends of the log with common pruneseal....the slower it dries the better...

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-12 9:59 pm   Permalink

P.S. Thanks....are you coming to Hukilau? I owe you a scorpion bowl!

Formikahini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-12 10:11 pm   Permalink

Dang! Another reason I'm so bummed about missing Hukilau: the chance to buy some of your cool carvings, Basement Kahuna! Both those you pictured above are lookin' good! (How's your hand healing? Carving gauges that require stiches are NOT fun to work with!)

And I'll try to pick you up some absinthe in Spain, as you requested on the Hukilau thread. Theirs (Spain's) is supposed to be among the worst in the world, smelling of turpentine. I brought back Czech absinthe from Prague last March as souvenirs for friends. Wish I'd known you then! Beautiful art deco bottles, even the teeny ones. (Why didn't I save one for me?)

View Profile of Formikahini Send a personal message to Formikahini  Email Formikahini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-12 10:39 pm   Permalink

Hey Polynesian Pop, most tree service companies that cut trees are more then happy to give you their logs, then they don't have to pay to dump them. I'm always on the lookout for dead palms and redwoods being cut when I'm driving around town. Be on the lookout for palm trees that have lost their heads. After one or two years these are then dead and very lightweight which makes it a lot easier to cut and haul. If you don't own a crane or have access to one, forget about the big live ones, as they weigh tons. Go for it! JT

Oki NiKsoKoWa
(Hello all my relatives)
TikiJungle.com

View Profile of Jungle Trader Send a personal message to Jungle Trader  Goto the website of Jungle Trader     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-12 10:47 pm   Permalink

Very nice tikis Basement Kahuna.

Oki NiKsoKoWa
(Hello all my relatives)
TikiJungle.com

View Profile of Jungle Trader Send a personal message to Jungle Trader  Goto the website of Jungle Trader     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-12 11:12 pm   Permalink

Thanks, guys and gals...That encouragement helps the chisel fly straight and true!Formikahini-Thanks in advance if you can pick up a bottle or two of absinthe-and if you need I'll send you some moola before you go! There are three brands of Spanish Absinthe which are supposed to be of superior quality...Candela (tops...made the same way for 100 years,)...Serpis, and Deva (both reputed to have thujone levels close to the old Absinthe of Latrec, Van Gogh, Wilde, Picasso, and Hemingway) . All others are as you say..the worst. Eastern European is supposed to be the most rite with impurities (I.E. Czech, Polish, Etc.)

Formikahini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-12 11:23 pm   Permalink

Quote:
On 2003-01-12 23:12, Basement Kahuna wrote: There are three brands of Spanish Absinthe which are supposed to be of superior quality...Candela (tops...made the same way for 100 years,)...Serpis, and Deva (both reputed to have thujone levels close to the old Absinthe of Latrec, Van Gogh, Wilde, Picasso, and Hemingway).

An article I read recently called the Serpis "...dyed an alarming shade of reddish-orange" as well as, along with two other brands you did not mention, "had a smell suggestive of turpentine." So I shall try for Candela!

View Profile of Formikahini Send a personal message to Formikahini  Email Formikahini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-12 11:30 pm   Permalink

I trust your judgement on La Fee Verte....!

keigs20
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-15 11:34 pm   Permalink

Here is a bar I carved and a couple totems. The bar is a witco style like the one in the BOT. on page 235. I made a few changes to make it a little more stable.

View Profile of keigs20 Send a personal message to keigs20  Email keigs20 Goto the website of keigs20     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-16 01:32 am   Permalink

Those have incredible vintage style...I saw that one on the left on E-Bay....your grandfather-in-law is William Westenhaver, no?

Turbogod
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-16 03:53 am   Permalink

Keigs that bar looks incredible. How long have you been doing this, because you are putting out some top notch stuff.

Tacky Techie Tiki Bar

[ This Message was edited by: Turbogod on 2003-01-16 03:54 ]

View Profile of Turbogod Send a personal message to Turbogod      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation