FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Carving Post
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 Next Page )
Carving Post
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-14 02:11 am   Permalink

Gecko, way happenin bar!

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-14 07:53 am   Permalink

Yeah Gecko, got the bad ass tiki. Thanks, looks like da' kine in my living room. The wife say it doesn't match but this time I say too bad, it stays here till I get my tiki room in the new house. I stand my ground and win one. No way will I put it outside, too good for that. My tikis are takin' ova da' worl..........okay, okay, maybe not the world....maybe just my house..........okay,.......maybe not my house,.....maybe just my little corner of the house.

Nice bar, your work, as always is superb.

[ This Message was edited by: jungletrader on 2003-07-14 08:07 ]

View Profile of Jungle Trader Send a personal message to Jungle Trader  Goto the website of Jungle Trader     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-14 09:30 am   Permalink

That's awesome! Wanna draw me up some blueprints for a six-footer? I'm gonna replace mine eventually with a better-shelved and organized bar.

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GECKO
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-14 12:24 pm   Permalink

BK sed "Wanna draw me up some blueprints for a six-footer?"

blue prints??? ho, was'dat? no need fo degreez, angle irons, dis times dat equals dat, or blue prints here braddah. Jus pound'um. All you need is a sharp eye.

you gon be ok.

View Profile of GECKO Send a personal message to GECKO  Email GECKO Goto the website of GECKO     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tahiti Jim
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-07-14 2:44 pm   Permalink

Aloha,

Ok, I have some palm logs, but they are a little wet and need to dry out for awhile. I hear you guys talking about other wood, so what is a good wood that you can cut into right away without waiting and where do you get it?

I live in Phoenix, AZ., so there are lots of Palms.

Thanks

Tahiti Jim

View Profile of Tahiti Jim Send a personal message to Tahiti Jim      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-14 11:24 pm   Permalink

"Kahuna One to Carving Control.....I have visual on that target.....I'm going in..." Here we have a nice, clean 7 foot, ten inch long, ten inch diameter half round of beautiful, clean white pine. I'm doing a Mai Kai vintage-style 3-figure Marquesan pole. The half-round is a nice option because it is small-floor-space friendly, 100% surface size and same look, takes oil/ochre finishes nicely, is less prone to checking as it dries, and can be direct-mounted around door frames, etc. The two railroad rail pieces an old friend who worked for the railroad gave me..they hold anything in place very nicely. The equip photo show all the freshly sharpened chisels ready along with my other carving stuff. I love a fresh palette!

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GECKO
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-15 01:40 am   Permalink

ummmmm da smell of freshly sharpen chizles, betta den pig betta den poi!! start poundin!

View Profile of GECKO Send a personal message to GECKO  Email GECKO Goto the website of GECKO     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Octane
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-15 09:14 am   Permalink

i have a question about sharpening chisels for the chisel master BK or any other chisel masters out there in tiki land. how often do you sharpen your chisels, after each carving? How do you tell when they need sharpening?

thanks

View Profile of Octane Send a personal message to Octane      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-15 09:52 am   Permalink

When I'm carving I sharpen them at the end of every day with a fine Arkansas oilstone. My sharpness gauge is whether I can closely shave a spot on my arm like a straight razor (literally). Sharp, high quality chisels make carving life a hell of a lot easier. just be careful...I've had two trips to the E.R. for stitches (that bestows on me the purple tiki medal with second award star). My wife has purchased me a lightweight steel mesh glove which I wear on my left hand now for protection when I'm really flying.

PolynesianPop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-15 10:24 am   Permalink

Damn braddahs, the work is looking ono! BK, love the plaque and Gecko, the bar is looking good. I like the way the tapa looks on the side! Keep it up!

Poly-Pop *

[ This Message was edited by: polynesianpop on 2003-07-15 15:11 ]

View Profile of PolynesianPop Send a personal message to PolynesianPop  Email PolynesianPop Goto the website of PolynesianPop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Alnshely
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-15 12:37 pm   Permalink

Gecko carved these beauties, Jungle Trader got the one on the left, Poly Pop got the one on the right.

[ This Message was edited by: Alnshely on 2003-07-15 12:37 ]

View Profile of Alnshely Send a personal message to Alnshely  Email Alnshely     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-15 8:05 pm   Permalink

Those Geckos are cherry! (But everything Gecko is cherry!) Brad wants me to carve him a couple of Barney West style Maoris for the Hale Tiii...I'm still trying to figure out how to start.

Octane
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-16 7:33 pm   Permalink

here is a tiki i'm working on. it is out of ash. the peice of wood is for a baseball bat. ash is defentially a hard wood and i'm glad i ask BK about sharpening chisels.i'm not finished as i need to clean it up and to add a body.

here is another one i made a couple of days ago, it is from palm and like the first still needs to be cleaned up a little.

View Profile of Octane Send a personal message to Octane      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-16 8:09 pm   Permalink

That'a cool, Octane...I'd definitely add a body as you have a nice piece of wood there (that's what my Fender Telecasters are made of). Hard as a rock, though.

Octane
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-17 8:09 pm   Permalink

thank you Bk for the nice words. here is the ASh tiki after day two. i got the body carved, and alot of it cleaned up.

I have a question for all the carvers out there that have stained a tiki, and that is what type of stain do you use? is there a particular color or shade you like, or would consider better for a tiki?
thanks

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation