FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Carving Post
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 Next Page )
Carving Post
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-17 8:36 pm   Permalink

Damn Octane, you're pretty good!!

For redwood I use Howard's Citrus Wax after burning and cleaning. Don't know if it would work well with ash. But you could try it on the back maybe.

Oki NiKsoKoWa
(Hello all my relatives)
TikiJungle.com

View Profile of Jungle Trader Send a personal message to Jungle Trader  Goto the website of Jungle Trader     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-17 8:52 pm   Permalink

Pimp recognize pimp. I'm gonna say right here that Octane and Monkeyman are brawlers. They're country grammar. They may end up making Gecko, Me, Keigs and Lake look like some played out, 3rd base, Kangol sh*t

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-17 10:02 pm   Permalink

I am constantly inspired by the talent on TC. It's very encouraging to see artists in a variety of mediums. This whole Tiki movement is going to be huge mon.

Speaking of mediums,.....What do call a psychic midget that escaped jail?........a small medium at large. .....yuck, yuck...get it?

View Profile of Jungle Trader Send a personal message to Jungle Trader  Goto the website of Jungle Trader     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lake Surfer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-17 10:19 pm   Permalink

Octane... that's hot stuff... ash is fun... did some tiki lamps out of it a little while ago... holds great detail and I love the grain in it...

Damn, I gotta step up... I finished three in the last week and a half, I just have to shoot digital and get them posted...

BK... can't wait to see how the 7 footer is progressing... looking forward to the day I surpass the 5 foot mark!

View Profile of Lake Surfer Send a personal message to Lake Surfer      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikitony
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2003-07-18 01:14 am   Permalink

octane, your progressing so fast. gnarly papaun basement kahuna. gecko, nice clean bar, can't wait to attempt one myself. i been making these tangaroas for my surf school students. the largest one is 1.5 inches hi.

View Profile of tikitony Send a personal message to tikitony  Email tikitony Goto the website of tikitony     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Octane
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-18 09:39 am   Permalink

thanks jungletrader, BK, Lake, Tikitony for the complements. though i have been told even a blind squirl can find an acorn every once in a while.

BK i would also agree with lake on wanting to see how that big dog (7 ft) is progresses. your in progress shot are cool to look at and learn from.

Lake, i like your carvings from the past posts and it would be great to see your new ones.

TikiTony those little guys look good, it has to be a challange to carve something so small.

thanks

View Profile of Octane Send a personal message to Octane      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chongolio
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-18 10:05 am   Permalink

The bar is getting awfully high in here. Killer work everybody. Octane that one is coming out nice. Good luck with the stain. I can never get them to look ancient like the dark Maori by Gecko. It looks like its been around forever. BK, thanks for the post of the progress shots. Very helpful to see how it getting done. How long have you been carving for? You have a ton of tools! Where is everybody buying there chisels? I searched around for the brands (Sheffield and Henry Taylor )suggested but came up with nothing locally. I just ordered the catalog from lee Valley and perused the website. Lots of choices . Thanks again, BK for da link I have be putting off any new carvins till I get some decent tools to work with but Seeing all the new post is getting me ansy to get another log.
Chongolio

[ This Message was edited by: Chongolio on 2003-07-18 12:11 ]

View Profile of Chongolio Send a personal message to Chongolio  Email Chongolio Goto the website of Chongolio     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lake Surfer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-18 2:43 pm   Permalink

Chongolio... I get my Henry Taylor tools from Woodcraft of WV... I have a store in town and they take good care of me with some comp. sharpening and they know their stuff... you can check them out at www.woodcraft.com... get their catalog, its full of goodies!

View Profile of Lake Surfer Send a personal message to Lake Surfer      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chongolio
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-18 3:06 pm   Permalink

Thanks lake, I just ordered the catalog. Now I just have to decide which one to start out with. There are some pretty good looking kits at both sites.
Chongolio

Chongolio.com
Stoke & Flow
Facebook

View Profile of Chongolio Send a personal message to Chongolio  Email Chongolio Goto the website of Chongolio     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Octane
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-18 6:23 pm   Permalink

the chisel i use are just Home depot bought. they are Marples, and a carving set they sell Buck Brothers. i also have some older chisels from my dad as backups. i have no idea about chisel quality, but on the budget i'm on these fit the bill.

View Profile of Octane Send a personal message to Octane      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Octane
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-21 9:27 pm   Permalink

Here is the Ash tiki finished with stain.

And here is one i worked on over the weekend and have almost finished. just needs to be cleaned up. it is my first tiki over 18 inches. it is a inch under 4ft.

this one has the inspiration peice on top

Lake Surfer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-21 11:49 pm   Permalink

Sweet work Octane! How much does the moai weigh? Not only is that 4 foot but the width is really big... I take it that's a palm trunk?

Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-22 12:05 am   Permalink

Damn, Octane....what you 'tryin to pull, brotha? Geck...we gotta make a showing real soon, my friend...this young buck's got some major game...

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikifreak
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-22 06:39 am   Permalink

Cool man. Good work........

T.F.

View Profile of tikifreak Send a personal message to tikifreak  Email tikifreak Goto the website of tikifreak     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-22 07:59 am   Permalink

Uh-huh, looks like I gots to get carvin' again.

Oki NiKsoKoWa
(Hello all my relatives)
TikiJungle.com

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation