FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Carving Post
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 Next Page )
Carving Post
Octane
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-22 09:48 am   Permalink

Thanks for the compliments, i'm lucky right know that it is summer and i'm out of school so i can have alot of free time to carve away.
it is palm wood but it still weighs in the 300bls-350bls. the log is cut in half(vertically), and this is just the first half. the reason being, i couldn't move the log to my house when it was whole, and this way, i can carve two tikis that can stand against a wall and that are some what moveable.

BK i sent you a private message, about a book

[ This Message was edited by: Octane on 2003-07-22 09:51 ]

View Profile of Octane Send a personal message to Octane      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Octane
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-25 12:49 pm   Permalink

alright here is the last peice of my ash i couldn't add a whole body as i ran out of wood. it is simular (but not exact)to the one in the book of tiki on page 112. i'm not very good with stains or picking stains so this guy came out a little dark for me.

View Profile of Octane Send a personal message to Octane      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lake Surfer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-25 11:57 pm   Permalink

Finally got some digital shots of recent tikis... ( I have to borrow my cameras)

This tiki is now in my personal collection and is the one that I am most proud of in my 2 years of rookie carving... it is carved from a piece of linden wood...

Here's a shot I took of pretty much all the tikis I've carved from last December until now... its pretty neat to think that they were all just a chunk of blank wood and now they are all neat individual wood sculptures...

[ This Message was edited by: Lake Surfer on 2003-07-25 23:59 ]

View Profile of Lake Surfer Send a personal message to Lake Surfer      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-26 08:09 am   Permalink

(Lips moving very quickly) "Be swift and wary, young Octane, for my chisel strike fast and true, like Chao-Lin dragon and phoenix" Here's the latest from the Isle Of Kahuna, a 7 foot, 6-inch, half-round Marquesan pole, modeled after the ones you see so many of in the Mai Kai. I truly love the Marquesan/Tahitian/Bora-Bora style, at least as much as the Maori stuff. This one is painted java brown, in keeping with most of these poles you see in the classic tiki temples, but accented in "nutmeg" and black.

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-26 08:28 am   Permalink

Also...here's the first of the Samoan Knife reproductions for the Mai Kai shop. The task given me was to do a good looking knife completely out of wood; no metal. I selected the style in the middle of the first photo (taken by manager Kern Mattei of actual Samoan knives in the Samoa roon at the Mai Kai). I made the blade out of black walnut sliced to the right thinness by a Japanese saw (shown). It is a very, very hard wood. getting that thing cut and working around that delicate hook with a scroll is tricky. The completed blade is fitted into a fruitwood handle, then shimmed and pegged. The bindings are Lauhala strap, and the grip cords are hand braided jute fiber. Then I age and apply simulated hand wear. My knife is the one shown in the last two photos....I think it turned out fairly good, though strictly a wallhanger!

[ This Message was edited by: Basement Kahuna on 2003-07-26 08:28 ]

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chongolio
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-26 09:38 am   Permalink

Sweet mutha of pearl B.K. those weapons are some bad ass ju ju! It's unbelievable how fast you work. NIce work to you Octane our stain job looks fiine to me, but I know what you mean about not getting the look you were trying for. Hey Lakesurfer, are you selling any of you tikis? I have an Aunt behind the cheddar curtain (Wisconsin) who has been asking me about tikis.

Chongolio

Chongolio.com
Stoke & Flow
Facebook

View Profile of Chongolio Send a personal message to Chongolio  Email Chongolio Goto the website of Chongolio     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Octane
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-26 11:48 am   Permalink

Lake Surfer, that first tiki is very cool. that detailing around the head is great. the eyes are cool they almost fallow you, they really make him look alive. wow you have done alot of good looking tikis. that shot with all of them in rows is impressive.

BK, confusious say "one who chisels faster, gets done quicker"i see that you are a true master of Chao-Lin dragon and phoenix. i like the 7fter it turned out great. did the blue moss or funguss cause any trouble.

i'm very impressed with that knife. wow that thing turned out great, a true masters work (a bow to you).

BK, how did you learn to age your master works? did you read it in a book, see it on the net, or just picked it up over your carving experiences?

Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-26 9:53 pm   Permalink

I forgot to add awesome tikis, Lake and Octane. I was just 'ribbin you, buddy! The "blue stain" is no problem, just a residual effect of a surface mold on summer wood. It just makes a carving in progress ugly because it's not that clean, white "pallete". It does nothing to the wood except that. The aging thing is just sort of a trial and error skill. Gecko is really good at this, too. I've had a computer glitch (major error) and have been off line for a day...my computer literate/genious wife had to completely re-program everything due to this. We have lost our saved e-mails but everything else is shaping up back to normal

Lake Surfer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-27 11:59 am   Permalink

Mahalo Kahuna... and beautiful work once again on the pole... and the weapons are very cool! Tomorrow I go to pick up two 8 foot 18 inch diameter chunks of white pine from my arborist friend. He works on at a country club that has many different types of trees and as soon as one goes I get a crack at it. Hopefully tomorrow afternoon after debarking I will get to start on the new mailbox tiki! Pictures to come!

View Profile of Lake Surfer Send a personal message to Lake Surfer      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-27 1:01 pm   Permalink

I just saw some (uncarved) palm logs in an empty lot just off the San Marcos Blvd. on ramp to the W. 78. Looks like they're gonna be carted away with some other cut down trees & scrub, so someone with access to San Diego North County & a pick-up truck could appropriate'em pretty easily...

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-27 8:32 pm   Permalink

I'd like to try some palm sometime. Lake, white pine is a great carving wood. Just watch the grain splitting when doing a curved cut (can turn into cracks later). You can plunge really deep in white pine with one good chisel whack; I usually can finish guide cuts effortlessly in the stuff.

Octane
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-27 8:53 pm   Permalink

Hey BK or anyone else,have you ever tried sugar pine (at least that is what the guy told me it is, i'm not a woodologist), or cypress for carving? i was just given a few chunks of each yesterday.

Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-27 10:05 pm   Permalink

Haven't tried cypress. We live in a mountainous area so not much around here. Lots of hardwoods and pine.

Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-28 09:46 am   Permalink

Hey, Geck....Where you at, braddah? (I wanna get a look at that tiki you just carved for Martin Denny).

Chongolio
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-28 09:50 am   Permalink

Most of my tikis were carved out of cypress. (I got picks on this thread) Its not to hard a wood, but all my tikis developed minor cracks even after using the prune seal. Ther bark was kind of sappy also.

Chongolio

Chongolio.com
Stoke & Flow
Facebook

View Profile of Chongolio Send a personal message to Chongolio  Email Chongolio Goto the website of Chongolio     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation