FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Carving Post
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 Next Page )
Carving Post
Lake Surfer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-28 10:23 pm   Permalink

I'm feeling ambitious this week so while I work on my new project I'll share the "in progress" photos with everyone. My mind seems to think that I can get this done this week... we'll see if that happens... I have use of the digital cam until next Monday so here it goes...

I'm doing a tiki mailbox as a gift for a friend... you've probably seen them on the web... Today I picked up a white pine log from my arborist friend at the country club he works at... it measures in about 8 feet so it was real fun trying to get it in my 4 door Honda Accord, even with the back seat down... I drove the 12 miles home with 3 1/2 feet hanging out, but it stayed in the whole way...

It was a bear getting it out of the car... I'm guessing it weighs about 350 lbs right now...

(No, that's not blood, just red paint on the sweatshirt...)

So, tonight I started work the old fashioned way... with the drawknife, taking the rest of the bark off... the outer stuff had fallen off earlier...

Wrapped up for the night when it got dark... half the log is now shaved... making the effort to get the rest done by noon tomorrow...

Update tomorrow, and maybe a look at the tiki...

View Profile of Lake Surfer Send a personal message to Lake Surfer      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-28 11:56 pm   Permalink

Boy, I know that drawknife drill, but it gives the old pecks a boost! Looks like you've got a tall one there, Lake.

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Cocktail
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-29 01:32 am   Permalink

MAN! I just cracked this post (been shying away due to length). Youse guys are amazing! Was tinking of trying my hand at carving but better stick to the cloth. BK, I got to get me on of those clubs a real nasty gunstock one (and a working one too, bruddah, I'm not just wall hanging!)

Gecko, were's da wahines pics with your tiki's???

[ This Message was edited by: Atomic Cocktail on 2003-07-29 01:33 ]

View Profile of Atomic Cocktail Send a personal message to Atomic Cocktail  Goto the website of Atomic Cocktail     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
spy-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-29 10:42 am   Permalink

O.K. I know it's not really a carving, but you guys are amazing and I was feeling left out.

Had a little Tiki party a couple of weeks ago and made this 6 ft. paper mache Moai.

...And I know routers are frowned upon, but I was in a hurry.

I'm looking for carving tools at garage sales and I promise to do it the right way next time. Come to think of it, what are the essential tools for carving, best woods, etc.?

[ This Message was edited by: spy-tiki on 2003-07-29 10:45 ]

[ This Message was edited by: spy-tiki on 2003-07-29 10:47 ]

[ This Message was edited by: spy-tiki on 2003-07-29 10:50 ]

View Profile of spy-tiki Send a personal message to spy-tiki  Email spy-tiki Goto the website of spy-tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-29 10:52 am   Permalink

If you go to www.workshoptools.com and call and ask about their tools, they have great prices. All the chisels, etc. you need are there in a large kit. They likely have the best prices around. My best friend runs the place.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GECKO
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-29 4:06 pm   Permalink

nice blank you get Lake surfer, whats a log li'dat cost on da mainland?

View Profile of GECKO Send a personal message to GECKO  Email GECKO Goto the website of GECKO     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lake Surfer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-29 11:19 pm   Permalink

Howzit Gecko!
A log like that is no charge when you're friends with an arborist at a country club with lots of trees. When there are signs that one is dying he gets at at quick like... there are logs aplenty laying around drying for me and a few other woodsmiths... pine, birch,oak,ash... all I have to do is haul it home...

How's the carving going there in paradise?

View Profile of Lake Surfer Send a personal message to Lake Surfer      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lake Surfer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-31 11:11 pm   Permalink

Progress Report: Tiki Mailbox.

Missed a few days on the report but the back and shoulders have been too blown out at night to post... After much hard work and help from the chainsaw the mouth for the mailbox was finished. Still have to do some cleanup work inside the mouth, then the teeth get carved around.
Today I went full on at the face and got a good portion done in between the scattered thunderstorms. Its getting there... and after I managed to boost it up for a picture I was pretty proud... I've never carved anything of this size yet, and it's pretty cool to see it take shape... almost hate to give it away!

Chongolio
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-01 09:36 am   Permalink

Looking good Lake. You must have awfully tall post people in your Area
Thanx for postin' the progress shots.
Chongolio

[ This Message was edited by: Chongolio on 2003-08-01 09:38 ]

View Profile of Chongolio Send a personal message to Chongolio  Email Chongolio Goto the website of Chongolio     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikitony
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-03 09:56 am   Permalink

nice jOb Lakesurfer, it must have been a pain to carve out the mail box slot. . . but well worth it. Here's a Hawaiian style tiki I just finished for my girlfriend's Hawaiian neighbors, pictured in my backyard for the last time. . . so sad to see them go sometimes.

Live like a Beachcomber!
www.TikiTony.com www.facebook.com/tikitonybeachcomber

View Profile of tikitony Send a personal message to tikitony  Email tikitony Goto the website of tikitony     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lake Surfer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-03 12:09 pm   Permalink

Progress Report: Tiki Mailbox.

Finished up the carving yesterday. Tomorrow I'm off to buy a new bottle of propane so I can take the torch to it, then seal it up with a few coats of spar urethane. Affix mailbox to the inside with wood screws, then wait until the wedding reception on the 19th so I can give this one away...

Finished product pictures to come...

Octane
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-03 7:58 pm   Permalink

Been out of town for a little while. made a mistake and went through Chicago airport (it only made me about 18 hours behind and made me miss three flights).

spy-tiki that is a cool Moai, and it doesn't matter if it is routered or carved with a chisel its all tiki.

Lakesurfer i like the mail box holder it looks good. i always like the in progress shots.i agree with Chongolio do you have tall postal employees? just kidding.

TikiTony looking good, i like that one, and the tiki hut in the background. what kind of wood is it? what do you normally use?

Well i did start a carving before i left and worked alittle more on it today. here are a couple of pictures. it is one of the three Tahitian cannibal tikis. he isn't quite finished and needs to be cleaned up, and have a little stain added to him.

[ This Message was edited by: Octane on 2003-08-03 19:59 ]

[ This Message was edited by: octane on 2003-08-03 21:36 ]

View Profile of Octane Send a personal message to Octane      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-04 09:36 am   Permalink

Pretty damned cool, Octane...you should age those when you're done; that first one looks like it came straight from Oceanic Arts in the 50's, which is great! Nice work...I dug that mailbox, too, Lake, nice piece...that thing is massive. I 'm guessing the post will be sunk three to about four feet, right? That thing will be like iron in the ground. If johnny high-school ever decided to play mailbox baseball with that one he can kiss his shoulder socket goodbye! Cool pole, too, Tony. Like the hut!

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lake Surfer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-04 10:03 am   Permalink

Mahalo for the kind words guys... Kahuna, I've got it measured for 2 1/2 feet to be sunk into the ground in post concrete... after I got the postal regulations figured out (bottom of mailbox has to be 42"-48" above the ground) and redid my pattern twice...

Its not Johnny I'm worrried about... its the crazy snowplow drivers here in Wisconsin... this is going to a friend who lives out in the country... though I think it would do some damage to the snowplow!

Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-04 6:36 pm   Permalink

Kahuna is about to get wild on some weapons. I have about 8 pieces in the works, and I'm going to try and marathon them....Found lots of new photos of beautiful 19th century Fijian stuff.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation