FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Carving Post
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 Next Page )
Carving Post
Octane
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-04 6:44 pm   Permalink

thanks for the praise BK. i'm not sure if i'm going to carve all three or just stop after this one. i like the aging idea but i'm not good at it or really know how. but here is the tiki finished with stain.

[ This Message was edited by: Octane on 2003-08-04 18:45 ]

View Profile of Octane Send a personal message to Octane      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-04 7:08 pm   Permalink

I'll let you in on a secret (okay, not really a secret but works dandy): Small propane torch like you can buy at any hardware or department store, the kind that uses the 2.99 skinny blue canisters. Go easy until you get the hang of it. You don't want to burn it, just darken it until it has a uniform old oxidized brown look. Sand with a 220 grade paper after darkening. That's the chosen method of everyone from Leroy Scmaltz to Bill Westenhaver to most of the seasoned carvers on this page. Leroy Schmaltz also uses a lot of really effective painting techniques using layered shades of brown.

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikifreak
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-05 10:31 am   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: tikifreak on 2004-12-20 12:05 ]

View Profile of tikifreak Send a personal message to tikifreak  Email tikifreak Goto the website of tikifreak     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Octane
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-06 8:15 pm   Permalink

here is a Moai i carved today out of a hunk of pine i was given. first time using pine. i tried to torch it to make it look old as BK said. i'm not sure i have the right type of torch ( just a standard old propane torch) i didn't know how dark to get it, and it seemed to be splatchy, and un even. so in the end i re-sanded it a little and just stained him. i will keep trying that aging technique i'm sure the more i try it the better it will come out.

well there he is, not the best. he is 18 inches tall and 6 inches in diameter

[ This Message was edited by: Octane on 2003-08-06 20:17 ]

View Profile of Octane Send a personal message to Octane      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lake Surfer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-06 10:35 pm   Permalink

Octane... I couldn't get the propane torch to work well on the pine mailbox tiki either... ended up just staining that too in a dark walnut color... still have to post final pics yet... nice moai... very original rendering!

View Profile of Lake Surfer Send a personal message to Lake Surfer      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
procinema29
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-07 12:06 am   Permalink

Oh, there's some beautiful sculptural work on this thread, everyone. Fantastic.

View Profile of procinema29 Send a personal message to procinema29      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-07 12:35 am   Permalink

Here we have a 37" Kini Kini I just finished. If the devil himself ever designed a Polynesian war club, this one would be it (I should know...I managed to cut three of my fingers on those sharp hooks while making it!). It is a very, very sharp "D" bladed weapon with gut hooks on back. The blade spirals at the tip, leaving a much wider and harder-to-close wound. It was made to attack soft parts of the body; a 180 degree sideswipe could open throats or midsections with utter ease. It is often referred to as a Hawaiian weapon, but I am almost certain this originates in the Solomons. This one is black walnut and has all chip carved decorations as an original would, no parting tools used. The lanyard is hand-braided raffia fiber.

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikifreak
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-07 05:08 am   Permalink

Cool Beans Base..................Are you planning on starting a war?

T.F.

View Profile of tikifreak Send a personal message to tikifreak  Email tikifreak Goto the website of tikifreak     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikifreak
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-08 08:42 am   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: tikifreak on 2004-12-20 12:06 ]

Octane
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-08 11:43 am   Permalink

congrats tikifreak on the whole, News coverage angle, that has to be exciteing and yet nerve racking at the same time. the tiki your making is looking good.

Chongolio
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-08 1:49 pm   Permalink

BK, Thats one nice gut tickler you got there. That is really cool. Regarding your Torch/sandpaper tip. Use the torch after you apply the stain?
Octane, Those are looking really nice. Is it just me or does your Moai look a little bit like a certain late night talk show host.
Congrats T.F on the promo, that new carvin' is shaping up nicely also.
Chongolio

[ This Message was edited by: Chongolio on 2003-08-08 13:52 ]

View Profile of Chongolio Send a personal message to Chongolio  Email Chongolio Goto the website of Chongolio     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-08 2:14 pm   Permalink

Before the stain. Stain flammable!

Octane
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-08 3:00 pm   Permalink

thanks Chongolio i actually thought the same thing about the Leno part. not to happy with that carving though, or the wood i used (yellow pine). but they all can't come out like you would like.

Bk with the ageing with a torch, is the tiki done after you sand the burned part or do you add a stain or oil on top of that to get the look you are talking abou?

Chongolio
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-08 3:21 pm   Permalink

Bk, common sense is over rated.
I thought that maybe the flammable part was the piece of the puzzle that has eluded me and my staining efforts. Although, the stain now, burn later does have a nice "Mad Doctor" quality to it. Just got to watch the ol eyebrows.
Octane, Dont get me wrong, I think your Moai is killer. In fact, I like your tiki more than Iike Leno.
Chongolio

Chongolio.com
Stoke & Flow
Facebook

View Profile of Chongolio Send a personal message to Chongolio  Email Chongolio Goto the website of Chongolio     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-10 9:31 pm   Permalink

Just finished this Trobriand Islands war club of the Massim people. The decorations are all chip carved. Their carvings are at once crude and yet refined...some Trobriand artifacts look almost Greek in design (such as the Trobriand paddle that Vic Bergeron modeled his "Tortuga" swizzlestick after, visible on the recipe in the Grog Log). This one is 25 inches long. There is a plainer, fighting version of this club reproduced by Oceanic Arts which hung in almost every major mid-century tiki temple.

[ This Message was edited by: Basement Kahuna on 2003-08-10 21:32 ]

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation