FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Carving Post
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 Next Page )
Carving Post
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-16 7:42 pm   Permalink

...We all though you'd met some millionaire hunk and retired to Tahiti! Whenever is fine, Fille, no hurry...Christmas delivery sounds real cool. Look forward to seeing the 7-footer...

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiGardener
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-17 1:15 pm   Permalink

Hey,
I've been trying to wade through this fantastic series of posts, and was wondering if it isn't time for a "Carving Tiki" forum? It seems as though there is enough volume on the topic, and it would allow for the topic to be explored in greater depth.

TG

View Profile of TikiGardener Send a personal message to TikiGardener  Goto the website of TikiGardener     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Octane
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-18 4:26 pm   Permalink

i have a couple of questions for everyone.

the first question deals with carving stone or lava style rocks. has anyone ever tried to carve any of these? is it like carving wood? what kind of tools do you use?

the second question deals with pricing on tiki's. for those who sell tiki's or buy them from carvers, do they sell them by the foot and if so what are some standard prices per foot? or do they just price them depending on the difficulty of the tiki?

any help on either of the topics would help, thanks

View Profile of Octane Send a personal message to Octane      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-18 9:38 pm   Permalink

Octane, I believe the best carvers sell at minimum 100 clams per foot. Although Chikitiki, Gecko and others sell some of their carvings for more. The ratty, crude carvings sometimes get about 50 per ft. Bosko sells for less than 100 sometimes, but only cause he's bangin' 'em out faster then Bax's blue pancakes.

Oki NiKsoKoWa
(Hello all my relatives)
TikiJungle.com

View Profile of Jungle Trader Send a personal message to Jungle Trader  Goto the website of Jungle Trader     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Pirate
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-08-18 11:07 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-08-17 13:15, TikiGardener wrote:
Hey,
I've been trying to wade through this fantastic series of posts, and was wondering if it isn't time for a "Carving Tiki" forum? It seems as though there is enough volume on the topic, and it would allow for the topic to be explored in greater depth.

TG

I agree, this thread is getting cumbersome to review, but all the same it has some great pictures and information of great value in it. It would be much more convienient to have a whole forum devoted to carving!

View Profile of Tiki Pirate Send a personal message to Tiki Pirate      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GECKO
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-19 01:30 am   Permalink

eh braddahz, heres a cocnut stump on da chop block unfinished and still needza lil mo chizlin.

in dis nex pic you can see da body needs to be mo even. wraped his arm with some rope jus so you can see da hole goes all da way trew.
still in da works. dis buggah already sold in case anybody like know.

mahloz plenty

View Profile of GECKO Send a personal message to GECKO  Email GECKO Goto the website of GECKO     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GECKO
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-19 01:49 am   Permalink

it's all up to you Octane on da prices. How eva you feel your work iz worth and wat da peopo wen like pay fo dem.

I have charged unda $100 a ft to ova $200 a ft. jus rememba you gotta pay some dues first. Don't jump in at a high price. I've sold a tiki at $30 when I first got onto da seen....I'm not saying to do dat at all, I was jus outta a job at da time. But I tink you know wat I'm saying braddah. Take it slow cuz.

Sven, still searchin fo'dat perfect log fo Mr. Martin Denny. I might jus have to go with wat i get. Da man's getting no younga like you wen sed!

aloha

View Profile of GECKO Send a personal message to GECKO  Email GECKO Goto the website of GECKO     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Octane
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-19 10:48 am   Permalink

thanks for the help with da pricing on tikis Gecko and jungletrader.

Gecko I dig that tiki, that is great, how tall is it? Oh, by the way not much of a suprise, that he would have already sold. how much would one like that cost, and do you do the same tiki more then once or do you do one style and move onto another.

[ This Message was edited by: Octane on 2003-08-19 11:28 ]

View Profile of Octane Send a personal message to Octane      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GECKO
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-19 12:26 pm   Permalink

I sold a Tangaroa on ebay last year and got 2 emails from 2 peopo dat got outbidded and asked could I make them one so, I did. I made 3 of the same tikis back to back. I don't have a problem with making the same style. I'm making them fo da customer not me. If dats what they want, thats what i carve.

The Tiki's grill project in Waikiki is going to be no knew styles. everyone he ordered is one that I've done already. For example, if you look at da Martin Denny post you'll see da tiki between da both of us, I got and order for 2 of those from them. They pay, I carve, no worries.

the one in the pic is a little over 2 1/2 ft tall and it sold for $450.

Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-19 9:37 pm   Permalink

That's 'lookin fine, Geck! I'm working on another Marquesan pole soon. That's my favorite style and it seems like only a few carvers are doing it. I have to agree with Gecko on the pricing, Octane...Take a new piece out and show it around and get an "ooh and ahhh" reading on it. Plus a lot of it depends on your time, effort, and how much in your gut you feel like your effort is worth. Don't oversell a lemon but never, ever undersell a cherry! This stuff is too damned time consuming to give away.

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiGardener
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-19 9:48 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-08-18 23:07, Tiki Pirate wrote:
Quote:

On 2003-08-17 13:15, TikiGardener wrote:
Hey,

TG

I agree, this thread is getting cumbersome to review, but all the same it has some great pictures and information of great value in it. It would be much more convienient to have a whole forum devoted to carving!

My thoughts completely. One could have a thread for photos, and carvers could start threads dedicated to each carvers progress, you could watch each carvers style evolve, and the possibilities are endless, and it would apparently be a very popular forum.

TG

Edited for typo ( I'm sure I missed more...)

[ This Message was edited by: TikiGardener on 2003-08-19 21:50 ]

View Profile of TikiGardener Send a personal message to TikiGardener  Goto the website of TikiGardener     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Octane
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-20 6:42 pm   Permalink

here is a tiki i made today. don't laugh, but i got bored and didn't want to add a body so i made this tiki a business card holder. the tiki is in a Hawaiian style simular to a picture i took from Trader Vic's in Emeryville (see locating forum).
It turned out i think to be more work to cut the card hole, and add the shelf, then it would have been to add a body, oh well.

Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-20 10:28 pm   Permalink

This is a Sawfish Cula Cula I just finished. The bills of these sharks are valued by primitive seafaring cultures all over the world. The Cula Cula is a Fijian type of club seen in many variations of one basic shape in wood.... This thing is a great looking and dangerous sonofabitch! I've been looking for a good sawfish bill for over a year now to make one of these with...this one is for me!

tikitony
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2003-08-22 1:08 pm   Permalink

gecko, I love your style so much, octane, i can't believe the progress you've made this summer, your tikis are outstanding. i recognize the morro bay tiki hut tiki, nice! lakesurfer, you must be very good friends with the recipient of that mailbox tiki, thats one gnarly job! basement kahuna, your weapons... killer, ha ha. well, here's me, carving at a the first annual tiki fest on catalina island last weekend also pictured with the world famous Bamboo Ben and Crazy Al. I was so nervous carving on stage, let alone next to the masters of our subculture; ben & al.

View Profile of tikitony Send a personal message to tikitony  Email tikitony Goto the website of tikitony     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Octane
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-22 7:26 pm   Permalink

tikitony great tiki and thanks for the kind words. Man i don't know if i could carve out on a stage like that with everyone watching. that had to be a little nerve racking.

Bk, that sword bill weapon looks wicked. where do you find a sword bill?

well i almost finished a tiki to day. i have been working on it for a few days, and it is ready for a little more clean up and some stain. just a warning i used a red Sharpie to out-line the tiki on the pole and i couldn't get the red off, it left a pink hue i'm going to stick with pencil. it turned out ok there are parts i like and others that piss me off, oh well.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation