FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Carving Post
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 Next Page )
Carving Post
GECKO
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-09-02 12:55 am   Permalink

cool story Midway cafe....are you serious?

BK, no worries cuz

LS, cool tent. eh! you need to put some a dem tikis on da kine "ebay".

nice to find time to surf threw TC today. As soon as I have a few more items done for the Tikis grill & bar restaurant in Waikiki I'll post some pics. bizzy bizzy bizzy

View Profile of GECKO Send a personal message to GECKO  Email GECKO Goto the website of GECKO     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Midway Cafe
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-09-02 01:29 am   Permalink

Hey Now Gecko,

Yes, I'm serious! The Booze Cruze was great! The sun was out, the air was cool and the band was jamming. I tossed my Tiki early in the day just before slack tide. Watched it bobble in the wake of the boat for as long as I could then went off to find another beer. Keep your eyes towards the surf as you never know where the tides may carry this carving. A couple of years ago there was an article in the local paper about a carving that washed up on a Rhode Island beach. It was about two feet tall, shaped like a person and had about eighty nails pounded into it. It looked like a giant voodoo doll. A local university identified it as being of African origin. Time to get back to the work shop, got to pay the bills.

View Profile of Midway Cafe Send a personal message to Midway Cafe  Email Midway Cafe     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikifreak
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-09-02 11:47 am   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: tikifreak on 2004-12-20 12:11 ]

View Profile of tikifreak Send a personal message to tikifreak  Email tikifreak Goto the website of tikifreak     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-09-03 09:24 am   Permalink

All is cool. I just finished rigging a 7-foot long, 48-inch wide ship's shroud line for Hale Tiki complete with 4 antique blocks, along with a 56-inch traplight and a coolie hat light. Fixing to begin work on 10 weapons for the place plus more stuff for the Mai Kai. This funeral plus two more summer Neato bookings to play and I'm off the hook. Great display, Lake...you can see the sizes better in that shot.

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
FastCo
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-09-07 3:11 pm   Permalink

My second attempt at doing a carving; "Larry The God of Martini's"...

Hardly "traditiona;l," but he was a blast to carve, and I learned a lot from it. ( Mostly how damn good some of the guys on here are)

View Profile of FastCo Send a personal message to FastCo      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Pirate
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-09-07 3:46 pm   Permalink

Thats awesome! Good Job FastCo

View Profile of Tiki Pirate Send a personal message to Tiki Pirate      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiMaster
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-09-07 8:03 pm   Permalink

Aloha,

Here is a double headed tiki totem made out of monkeypod!

Mahalo Nui Loa,
Tikimaster
www.tikimaster.com

View Profile of TikiMaster Send a personal message to TikiMaster  Email TikiMaster Goto the website of TikiMaster     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GECKO
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-09-08 12:29 pm   Permalink

nice carvings. I like that sign too, creative.

I'll be done with Mr. Martin Dennys commisioned tiki this week and will post pics for your viewing. I just gotta do the sanding and the finish and attach the brass plack to the back.

Aloha

View Profile of GECKO Send a personal message to GECKO  Email GECKO Goto the website of GECKO     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
McDougall
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-09-08 7:49 pm   Permalink

Midway, I bet somebody enjoys that Tiki you threw in the bay, lots of surfers there if I remember correctely, used to race in Narraganset regularly. I just started carving and am mostly carving 2-3 inch tiki pendants out of hardwoods- rosewood, walnut, mahogony, cocobolo(sp)-anyone carve with this very hard, heavy, beautiful wood before? Like the small stuff as I live in an apartment in the city and a my roomate won't allow any chainsaws just yet.

View Profile of McDougall Send a personal message to McDougall  Email McDougall Goto the website of McDougall     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Octane
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-09-09 09:44 am   Permalink

nice work Fastco, great sign, it may not be traditional but is still aswome and as da Gecko said creative.

Tiki master that totem style tiki is aswome, i like how the dark part of the wood runs right down the middle of the mouth. great detail.

here is a set of cabnet/bar legs i carved for a cabnet/bar for my room.

here is my last carving, it is only about a foot tall. unstained

stained

View Profile of Octane Send a personal message to Octane      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-09-09 10:20 am   Permalink

That's a cool idea. I just got some triangular white pine 6" stanchions I'm fixing to "carve to death" ala the Oceanic Arts posts (the wavy, Maori influenced lines). I COMPLETELY missed Tony's post a few pages back. Nice tiki!...Looked like a fun day with Al and Ben.

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lake Surfer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-09-09 12:37 pm   Permalink

Ok Octane... fess up! Where's all this great ash coming from that you're carving up?!

Great work everyone... TikiMaster, dazzeling as usual, incredible detail...

Octane, hot stuff... like the cut through the back of that tiki... a little something different...

[ This Message was edited by: Lake Surfer on 2003-09-09 12:38 ]

View Profile of Lake Surfer Send a personal message to Lake Surfer      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Octane
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-09-09 1:08 pm   Permalink

were does all that ash come from? the hardware store, not sure if it is at every harware store. they are baseball bat blanks, they have them in other woods to, but they aren't all round like the ash. i can only find them at a specailty hardware store that sell exotic woods and moldings, it is called Higgins. they sell teak, mahagony, ebony and every other exotic wood you can think of. they are cheap like 20 dollars or less and about 3 1/2 feet long by 3inches in diameter. they are perfectly round, and are sealed on both ends, and never have cracks. i ussaully get about three tikis out of each bat, depending on if the tiki has a body, ect,ect...
they are good for times when i'm can't get any good size wood.

View Profile of Octane Send a personal message to Octane      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chongolio
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-09-10 10:19 am   Permalink

Wowza, Thems is some might fine looking tikis by everybody.
FastCo very creative sign you got there.
One of kind rules, nobody will be tripping into K-mart and picking up anything like that! Keep it up
Tikimaster, digging the detail of all of your work. I have a few monkeypod tikis, That type of wood seems to really lend itself to detailed work . where do you get your wood?
Octane, dang braddah, you have been busy. You have that Marquesan style nailed, er chiseled. Higgins huh? I may have to stop in there on my next cruise through Slo town at the end of the month.
I am just about finished with my first tiki done with my new palm chisels. Again, I have resorted to using marginal wood I had lying around. I got ansy and wanted to start using the new tools. Boy oh boy, My gouge is getting a lot of use. That seems to be the one I am reaching for most often. It is amazing how much of a difference good sharp tools can make.
Anybody else have a certain tyope of chisel they find that they use the most?
Keep up the carvin'
Chongolio

Chongolio.com
Stoke & Flow
Facebook

View Profile of Chongolio Send a personal message to Chongolio  Email Chongolio Goto the website of Chongolio     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikitony
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2003-09-10 1:31 pm   Permalink

Tikimaster... your name says it all, nice! Octane, those legs are great, looks so precise and identical. have you made any lamps from that ash yet? Basement Kahuna... yes it was a gnarly day, my back is still aching from carving with no table. Also, i've been checking out the "tiki finds post", dude, you get the gnarliest stuff, your shack should be a museum of TiKi. I can't wait to see the Denny-Tiki, damn, do you know how special you are to be carving a tiki for Martin Denny, aloha nui gecko. heres a link to my tiki neck pendant, keychain, & hula dash diety
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=5462&forum=5&0

View Profile of tikitony Send a personal message to tikitony  Email tikitony Goto the website of tikitony     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation