FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Creating Tiki » » Tiki Carving » » AAC Carving Post
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
AAC Carving Post
Palama Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-11 06:07 am   Permalink

Inspired by a suggestion from Aaron's Akua, I'm starting an AAC carving post for any artists who are working in this medium.

A-A is TC's resident expert in Autoclaved Aerated Concrete and has assembled alot of good info on the topic.

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=10055&forum=7&hilite=AAC

It was he who got me searching for a block of it and also provided helpful tips on carving the stuff.

I'll start off with posting some samples of AAC Moai that I have recently carved.

Feel free to post any AAC work that you have done.

View Profile of Palama Tiki Send a personal message to Palama Tiki  Email Palama Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-11 06:21 am   Permalink

AAC works well on Moai as they look 'natural' in stone.

Here's my AAC work. Its about 2 foot tall:

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Aaron's Akua
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-11 9:13 pm   Permalink

This stuff is great, especially if you've never carved before and want to get your feet wet. I know of a few TC'ers that spend time on the Creating Forum, but haven't really tried to produce art yet, for whatever reason. Well, here's your chance! We know you want to carve, so get started!!

Here's mine:

Quote:

On 2004-11-11 17:55, Aaron's Akua wrote:

Tiki No. 1 (AAC Block)
Moai

This tiki was made from a block of Autoclaved Aerated Concrete (AAC)

For everything you would want to know (and more) about this material, SEE THIS POST.

For examples of tools that work well for AAC carving, SEE THIS POST

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Tiki No.’s 2 and 3 (AAC Block)
Moai and Original Design

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

BTW, it's also great for experienced carvers. Enjoy!

Aaron

"Ah, good taste! What a dreadful thing! Taste is the enemy of creativeness."
-Pablo Picasso

View Profile of Aaron's Akua Send a personal message to Aaron's Akua      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Aaron's Akua
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-11 10:01 pm   Permalink

I found out about AAC Block carving from an art book that I borrowed from the local library. The example was a Moai design. That's what eventually led me to Tiki Central, and I've been here ever since. After I posted those first pics, Benzart offered up some links to Gavtiki's work. So you could say Gav is the original resident expert on AAC at Tiki Central. I'm going to email him to see what he's been up to lately. In the mean time, here's some pics from some of his old posts.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Gavtiki lives in Melbourne, Australia. Here are a few of his killer tikis.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

A-A

"Ah, good taste! What a dreadful thing! Taste is the enemy of creativeness."
-Pablo Picasso

View Profile of Aaron's Akua Send a personal message to Aaron's Akua      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Moondance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-11 10:22 pm   Permalink

All of those AAC carvings are just great. I still have no luck locating AAC in the North East. Damm!
Ann & Wesley

View Profile of Moondance Send a personal message to Moondance  Email Moondance Goto the website of Moondance     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Palama Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-12 07:03 am   Permalink

Moondance: if you are willing to pay for shipping, I can send you a block or two for you to try out.

A-A, thanks for posting all those great photos! more inspiration for me!

View Profile of Palama Tiki Send a personal message to Palama Tiki  Email Palama Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Palama Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-12 07:05 am   Permalink

Hewey: we are anxiously awaiting your Moai twins post!

hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-13 12:36 am   Permalink

yeh yeh

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Palama Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-14 4:21 pm   Permalink

here's my latest 2 foot tall AAC Moai:

hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-15 9:18 pm   Permalink

Here is my 2nd carving. Sorry for the crap pic, but I had to put it in the flatbed scanner (no digi-cam). A crap pic is better than none though.

tiki beat by marcus thorn
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2005-08-22 4:01 pm   Permalink

Hi Palama Tiki - I like your work so far - it takes a while to get your own style happenin - but once it does its magic! Keep carving and learning and enjoying the magic of tiki.

View Profile of tiki beat by marcus thorn Send a personal message to tiki beat by marcus thorn  Email tiki beat by marcus thorn Goto the website of tiki beat by marcus thorn     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Palama Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-23 06:21 am   Permalink

thanks Marcus, i'll definitely keep working at it!

Palama Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-24 05:29 am   Permalink

Here’s my latest attempt to capture the Ideal Moai style…

Moondance asked if I would describe my AAC Moai carving process, so here goes..

SAFETY NOTICE: Always wear a cartridge respirator and goggles when working with AAC. It’s very dusty. Wear clothes that you don’t mind getting really cruddy. The dust is insidious.

I sketch the outline on both sides of the AAC block using a cardboard template.

Make the initial very rough cuts with a small handsaw; just a cheap one that you find at Wal-mart or Home Depot.

Also see page 4 of this post (A-A’s post on tools for use on AAC)
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=10451&forum=7&start=45

At first it seemed odd to use a handsaw on concrete, but trust me, once you start working with AAC, you’ll quickly figure out how it works and then you’ll start experimenting with other tools. Just remember that the AAC will really dull the blades.

Be patient; at this stage, the carving looks really crappy.

Once the rough cuts are made, I use an angle grinder with a sanding disc attachment to start shaping the carving. I also use the following tools: rasp, chisels, surform or plane, sandpaper (36, 60, and 100 grit). The 36 grit helps in shaping areas that are too tight for the angle grinder. A-A also lists rifflers, etc. that he uses. I use an old butcher knife as a draw knife as well.

When using the chisels, I don’t use a traditional stone carving technique of mallet-on-chisel; the action is more like using a putty knife to scrape paint. That action helps shape the carving.

You can also use a Dremel tool with the stone attachments, which I use to carve out the ears. I’ve also been using that to make AAC tombstones for Halloween decorations. ( I know this part isn’t tiki, but it IS the AAC post ). I distress the slab of AAC using hammer, big butcher knife, etc, then sketch out the lettering with pencil.

I then use the Dremel cutting tool guide with a drywall bit set to ¼ inch depth to initially carve the lettering, then I go over the grooves of the lettering with the tapered stone bit to get the depth to the lettering. After that, more sanding and distressing with paint. Coat with clear concrete sealer, and you have some pretty cool Halloween decorations.

Anyway, back to the Moai… once you have the basic shape, it’s all hand sanding from there. Not to sound coy, but it’s really hard to describe; you just have to sand away till you get the subtle shapes that you want. Use the 60 grit to smooth down the rough spots, then use the 100 grit to close the “pores” of the AAC. You’ll notice that with the heavier grits, the pores tend to open up more.

When finished, brush the dust from the carving, and coat with clear concrete sealer, leave as-is, or you can paint with regular spraypaint or Fleckstone spraypaint.

I hope this helps.

Moondance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-26 4:03 pm   Permalink

Here is a prototype of the Moai we will do for our first AAC carving. It is 3" tall and carved out of Basswood. Also it's my first small carving I've done.

It only took about 3 or 4 hours. I'm not too hip about the ears. I'm going to do a bigger one tonight.

How addicting is this?

THANK YOU ONCE AGAIN JEFF FOR ALL OF YOUR ENCOURAGEMENT & KINDNESS.
Annie is feeling a little better today.
Wesley
I can't figure out how to post pictures bigger than this!?

[ This Message was edited by: Moondance 2005-08-28 22:36 ]

View Profile of Moondance Send a personal message to Moondance  Email Moondance Goto the website of Moondance     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-27 07:36 am   Permalink

Hey Moondance, good luck on this. You will find it VERY Addictive once you start, you can't quit. Can't wait to see your works.
When you post from shutterfly, open the thumbnail or you post the thumbnail

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation