FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving AAC Carving Post
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
AAC Carving Post
Aaron's Akua
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-27 09:36 am   Permalink

Moondance,

The Maoi looks great! One word of advice, though. When you do this piece in AAC, you might want to make the neck/base a little thicker or wider. You don't really want the AAC to fall over, it's liable to crack in half. AAC is a bit fragile, but it's okay if all the edges are rounded (like your prototype). But it can break if dropped. My little boy destroyed a half finished piece that I had sitting on the patio that way. But he had fun doing it.

Aaron

"Ah, good taste! What a dreadful thing! Taste is the enemy of creativeness."
-Pablo Picasso

View Profile of Aaron's Akua Send a personal message to Aaron's Akua      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Sperm Whale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-27 9:11 pm   Permalink

Hey I thought it would be about time to actually get in on the action in creating Tiki. So here are some pics of the start of my first Moai. Aaron's Akua gave me some AAC a few months ago and I found some free time today to get started. So here is my explanation of so far- the first two pic's is the AAC that Aaron started before he gave it to me and the other three pic's is what I did this morning. These are just progress Pic's I have alot more to do to this thing.

I still have alot to do to this guy but I thought I'd stop and think about my approach more so I don't wreck it. I'll be sure to post more Pic's when I do more. I used to Paint alot and a big part of my problem at being an Artist is I like to think too much and never finish anything. But I promise that I will finish this guy. A big Mahalo goes out to Aaron's Akua.
Later,
Spermy

[ This Message was edited by: The Sperm Whale 2005-08-27 21:14 ]

View Profile of The Sperm Whale Send a personal message to The Sperm Whale  Email The Sperm Whale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Palama Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-29 05:33 am   Permalink

Moondance: really nice work on your Moai! can't wait to see the AAC version! Glad to hear Annie is feeling better.

Spermy.... lookin' good! we definitely want to see the finished product on this one!

View Profile of Palama Tiki Send a personal message to Palama Tiki  Email Palama Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Moondance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-29 08:04 am   Permalink

Aaron, Benzart & Palama Tiki,
Thanks for the positive encouragement. I'm waiting for Annie to get a little better so we will tackle this together. She can't wait, well me too. It's not so hot here now so she is on the uphill!
Thank you,
Annie & Wes

View Profile of Moondance Send a personal message to Moondance  Email Moondance Goto the website of Moondance     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Aaron's Akua
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-29 12:24 pm   Permalink

Looking good, Spermy. You're definitely going about it the right way. Keep us posted.

"Ah, good taste! What a dreadful thing! Taste is the enemy of creativeness."
-Pablo Picasso

View Profile of Aaron's Akua Send a personal message to Aaron's Akua      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Moondance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-01 7:37 pm   Permalink

Well I've been kind of postponing my AAC project since I receive 3 pieces of it a few weeks ago. For one my sweet Annie has been under the weather due to the heat we have had. She has MS and heat affects her greatly. Two I only have 3 pieces of AAC and I want to wait for Annie before I start.
A few weeks ago I met a gentleman who took the time to show me how to carve his version of a "Tiki Moon". He was very generous with his knowledge as all artist here have been. He told me to make as many as I want. What a nice person. Well since Annie and I love moons I was very excited to give it a shot. He carved one in front of me and explained as he worked. His name is "Tiki Jim" and he live in Florida (where else, Florida has all of the Great Tiki Artists) I posted the Tiki he helped me with. I stained it blue with Rit Dye, 3 parts water, 1 part dye. (his recipe) It's too dark for me so he told me I can lighten it by sanding it more.
I would of started a new thread but I don't thing it's worth all that. I hope you enjoy the "Tiki Moon"!

I sure hope the photos come out OK. (I mean big)
Wesley

-- Chinese proverb

[ This Message was edited by: Moondance 2005-09-01 19:47 ]

View Profile of Moondance Send a personal message to Moondance  Email Moondance Goto the website of Moondance     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Palama Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-02 05:21 am   Permalink

nice moon! i was actually thinking of doing one in AAC once i get thru all my other projects.

View Profile of Palama Tiki Send a personal message to Palama Tiki  Email Palama Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-02 05:46 am   Permalink

Spermy, I can't wait to see how you do with this Moai, It's a great start and looks like you are already doing well. My only concern? You're Not Done YET???
Moondance, the moon looks fantastic. Can't wait to see your tikis.. You're not Done YET Either??

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Moondance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-02 08:03 am   Permalink

I don't think this guy would be real stable in AAC. The gentleman that passed the design on to me sells them for $100. (double sided moons)
I'm trying to do as much carving as I can before I lay a chisel to the 3 pieces of AAC I have.
Ben-
Your are right I'm not finished Yet.
Wes

[ This Message was edited by: Moondance 2005-09-02 12:10 ]

teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-02 10:03 am   Permalink

I came up with a tiki moon design on paper about a month about. I am planning of useing it of up and coming art as a logo. Its funny to think it up and then see this. I like how it came out.

Now you have to post an AAC pic since you posted here.

View Profile of teaKEY Send a personal message to teaKEY  Email teaKEY Goto the website of teaKEY     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Moondance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-02 1:03 pm   Permalink

How do you or I guess anyone start a new posting?

Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-02 1:48 pm   Permalink

Down on the bottom left or upper right, righ next to the "Post Reply" button there is a button that says "New Topic". Click on that, give it a heading and Post away.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Moondance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-02 4:16 pm   Permalink

If it was a snake...

Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-03 8:04 pm   Permalink

...it would have bit us All.

Moondance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-04 7:19 pm   Permalink

Here is my second Moai carving, looks strangely like the first even though I didn't use the first as a reference.

I didn't like how the neck came out so I chopped it off. I can make a necklace out of it. He is almost 3" tall.

This is my third candidate for an AAC carving. He is 3.5" tall and it's not completed. I have about 2 hours into this one so far. I like how this one is turning out so far.

I've looked at so many Tikis I don't know if it's a copy of someone's or it's me. It looks like parts of different carvings I've seen. Does this make any sense to anyone here??
I welcome all comments, Please.
Wes

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation