[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Kahiki collecting for the family
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Kahiki collecting for the family
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-25 10:14 am   Permalink

actually, in the early 80's, according to Linda, there WERE boxes of the stuff in storage but were tossed away in the trash by another family member when they were cleaning out the storage unit. As for the stuff prior to the kahikis demise, she said some of it has dissappeared, mainly the photos of all the celebrities that once hung in the upper offices and some in the bar.....

as for finding old mugs, here's one of my old secrets i'll share with you....i have always done well when happening across former employees of tiki bars...they always kept some mugs and stuff for themselves and now, years later are happy to get rid of it for a few bucks......I made a huge mai kai score some years ago....a woman I met was a waitress at the mai kai back in the day. she owned a vintage store in florida years ago and had stashed in the back room, a couple dozen mai kai mugs and bowls. i bought all of it plus some mugs from a couple other places. she said her and her roomate at the time used to bring home mugs and stuff all the time when they were working there.....I've had similiar luck with other bars as well.

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kono
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-25 1:25 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-08-25 10:14, Tipsy McStagger wrote:
here's one of my old secrets i'll share with you....i have always done well when happening across former employees of tiki bars...

Now tell us the secret of how to find former employees of tiki bars!

View Profile of Kono Send a personal message to Kono  Email Kono Goto the website of Kono     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Joe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-25 7:09 pm   Permalink

Why is everybody pissing on Swanky?

His heart is in the right place and he played excellent tunes at the Hot Rod Hula Hop last weekend.

No one is going to stop bidding on the Kahiki stuff.

We're all addicted to tiki, it's our version of crack!

But don't be mean to Swanky, he doesn't deserve it.

Besides, if this is the girl I saw in the picture on the Fraternal Order of Moai site posing with Mr. Sapp, she's hot!

View Profile of Tiki Joe Send a personal message to Tiki Joe      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-25 7:44 pm   Permalink

Well, you can at least feel good about losing an auction to the kahiki builder's family

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
umeone
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-26 6:56 pm   Permalink

Hi, Linda here(umeone). from the Kahiki.
I would like to thank Swannyfor trying to help me in my quest to collect memorabillia from my past. My husband and I had the privilege of spending time with Swanky and Tikiskip this past weekend at the Voodoo Lounge in Columbus, OH.and wer had a great time.

Since Craig and I Started buying on eBay, we have acquired several new items from b adler, rusassy,kdougwell, and many others. However, our interest is in the older items that relate to my father and mother.

We are nor sellers on eBay, nor would we sell or trade our purchases. We intend to pass them onto our children and eventually their children.

Best of all, we have made great new friends that have turned us on to the Tiki affection that I assume we all share.

I am saddened by the seeming attacks and cynicism that has come from my new friends help. Being the optimist that I am, I look forward to meeting more nice people through our affiliation with Tiki Central and eBay.

May we all have success in our personal quests.

As for me, my new friendships are priceless.

View Profile of umeone Send a personal message to umeone  Email umeone     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kono
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-26 8:25 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-08-25 19:09, Tiki Joe wrote:
Why is everybody pissing on Swanky?

Errrr...I just re-read this thread and can't say I really see anyone "pissing on Swanky."

Quote:

On 2005-08-25 19:09, Tiki Joe wrote:
Besides, if this is the girl I saw in the picture on the Fraternal Order of Moai site posing with Mr. Sapp, she's hot!

Well, God Dangit!, can we have a link please!?!?

Uanemone, are we allowed to bid against you or not?

Please don't be just another TC ebayer. Tell us your personal history re: the Kahiki and your thoughts and feelings about the history of the establishment. There are many Kahiki freaks here who would love to hear what you have to share.

View Profile of Kono Send a personal message to Kono  Email Kono Goto the website of Kono     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TheMuggler
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-26 8:59 pm   Permalink

This thread reminded me to re-post the photo album of the Kahiki Salvage, so here it is:

http://www.haxan.com/kahikisalvage/

Warning: don't look at these pictures unless you are prepared to see the Kahiki as it was torn down.

-m

View Profile of TheMuggler Send a personal message to TheMuggler  Email TheMuggler Goto the website of TheMuggler     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rum Numb Davey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-27 12:47 am   Permalink

Dear Linda:

We are all friends here, and we all get a bit manic about our hobby and mug collecting habit. I wish you well at preserving you family and their heritage. I am sure you understand that once something goes up on eBay..it is simply a matter of highest bidder takes the item. It is not done to keep your family history from your kids. but I am sure that you understand other folks feel passionate about these vintage items, as well. I can assure I will never bid against you. Good luck on your quest to reclaim some more of your past from your families history business.

View Profile of Rum Numb Davey Send a personal message to Rum Numb Davey  Email Rum Numb Davey Goto the website of Rum Numb Davey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-27 07:28 am   Permalink

Here is a still from the video John Holt graciously offered to me to edit into a short Kahiki tribute. I was very amazed to know there was video of the end of the Kahiki and it's hey-day.

Linda, you really should post a bit about the Kahiki. The people of TC would eat it up. These are the fans.

[ This Message was edited by: Swanky 2006-03-07 16:09 ]

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TheMuggler
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-27 1:44 pm   Permalink

I had a 3-chip DV camera out there as well and shot a lot of footage, especially the water fountain and the fireplace Moai being pulled out the hole in the roof, but they ran over schedule and I had to leave without capturing the actual building demolition, unfortunately.

I can dig that footage up if you want to use it for anything non-commercial, Swanky.

[ This Message was edited by: TheMuggler 2005-08-27 13:45 ]

View Profile of TheMuggler Send a personal message to TheMuggler  Email TheMuggler Goto the website of TheMuggler     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation