FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Central Ohana Thoughts for PJ
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
Thoughts for PJ
bongofury
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2005-09-03 10:37 pm   Permalink

Glad to hear you are O.K. P.J.........Keep us posted. Aloha.....

View Profile of bongofury Send a personal message to bongofury  Email bongofury     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
virani
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-04 01:50 am   Permalink

I wasn't able to check internet the last week, but thought about you a lot PJ. I'm glad you and your family are fine.
Bravo tikifish, you had a wonderful idea with the auction.

View Profile of virani Send a personal message to virani  Goto the website of virani     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
purple jade
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-05 11:16 am   Permalink

I'm watching a news report now about rescuing abandoned animals from the evacuated areas, trying to find out if I can possibly locate my feral outside cat, Fellini, that I had to leave behind because I couldn't catch him.
I have been heartsick wondering if he survived the storm and if so, would he even would allow rescuers to pick him up? He is a beautiful silver tabby whose tail curls into a perfect circle.

If you haven't already decided on a worthwhile effort to give a donation, please consider some of the national animal welfare organizations that are taking the time to rescue, care for, and reunite the abandoned pets with their owners.

Again, thank you all for your efforts and concerns on our behalf. The eBay auctions are incredible, I don't know how I will ever be able to express my gratitude to everyone.

View Profile of purple jade Send a personal message to purple jade  Email purple jade Goto the website of purple jade     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
blacksandz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-05 1:30 pm   Permalink

Wow! I feel bad that I am posting this so late. P.J. this has been a very tough year for you and your family. From Tropical Storm Dennis to this unbelievable disaster of Katrina, the Tiki Gods have not been kind. Even though we have not met, I would like to send out my best to you and your family. Plus any other Louisiana native that has had to deal with this tragedy. From myself to every T.C.er, stay strong! God bless!

View Profile of blacksandz Send a personal message to blacksandz      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
vintagegirl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-05 4:29 pm   Permalink

Hey PJ, so sorry you had to leave one of your kitties behind. I've also been hearing about pet rescue efforts in New Orleans. Even despite the many terrible things that have come out of last week, it would still seem that the eventual reunion of people with their animal companions could really help a lot with the emotional healing after all they've had to endure.

You can read about what the Humane Society is doing here:
http://www.hsus.org/

In the video on the site, they said they will take pics of the animals they find and post them on petfinder.com:
http://www.petfinder.com/

BTW, I'm really glad you are able to post on TC right now. After all the awful stories on the news it's just good to know that you are surviving this and staying well.

View Profile of vintagegirl Send a personal message to vintagegirl  Goto the website of vintagegirl     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
beachin
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-06 06:55 am   Permalink

I'm OK.

I'm sorry to worry y'all, but we've had no phones, internet, or way to get in touch.

PJ...I want to try to get together with you now that you are in BR and help you any way I can. I've been worried sick about you and only had your home telephone number. I'll send you a PM.

Thank you all for your thoughts. We had a tornado touch down on our house during the hurricane and it blew over a 100-year-old oak tree that fell right on our house. We've been removing that.

When we got the all-clear, we drove to Waveland, MS, where we had been last Thursday burying my grandfather (who died the week before the storm). His house is devastated, but was still standing with all of his worldy possessions in about a foot of mud. We went back to take out what we could but there was something in the mud that made us very sick.

Today has been an attempt at returning to normal. The gas lines are long and prices high and getting to work has been difficult. On top of that, my car broke down last night and it's now in the shop! All the same, I have been counting my blessings that the people I love lived through this. I can't write for long, as I'm at work and I must attempt to do something today.

I just want to thank you all for your kind words of support and compassion. The outpouring of kindness and support in this tragedy doesn't often make the news, but it's everywhere. I have witnessed humanity at it's best, and that is what I will take with me through all of this.

Your friendship is so valuable to me!

Kimberly

View Profile of beachin Send a personal message to beachin  Email beachin Goto the website of beachin     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-06 08:08 am   Permalink

How about a carving to jump start your future new tiki room? Just shoot me a PM.

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
purple jade
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-06 8:47 pm   Permalink

I wanted to say I'm sorry I haven't been able to respond personally to everyone who has sent anything to us, from donations to email good wishes. It's getting more and more difficult to get an internet connection (we don't have wireless here), and well, I'm just not altogether...together. Please, please, please include your names and snail mail addresses so that I can properly thank you if and when I have my wits about me again.

Kimberly, it's so great to hear from you, I've been fretting about your welfare too.

I'm not having such a great day today, sorry not to have any really great news. Although they've been letting some people in to the city, my house is still completely cut off...if you've seen the pictures on the news of the football stadium full of water, that's about three blocks or so from my house.

My husband had accepted a job as vice-president of a locally owned industrial machinery company about a week before the storm. Three of the company's branch offices were destroyed and the main office was cleaned out by looters. Long story short, there's no company anymore, and he now has no job.

It is doubtful that I will be able to enter my own house after the water drains because of the contagion situation. Even if anything is salvageable, it would probably be too contaminated for me to handle because of my health issues.

People have made comments about my "getting back to work" and purchasing future PJT products. I'm sorry to say, that's not very likely. I just won't have any time, energy, or finances to spare on that for a long time. Honestly, at this point, I can't imagine ever feeling like doing it ever again anyway.

I've never had to accept charity before in my life and I don't exactly know how to do it gracefully. I don't really have much choice otherwise. Please forgive me as I stumble through this unfamiliar territory.

View Profile of purple jade Send a personal message to purple jade  Email purple jade Goto the website of purple jade     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ookoo lady
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-06 9:16 pm   Permalink

PJ, just take care of one moment at a time. Try not to worry about responding to e-mails, or getting back to work, or dealing with everything that seems overwhelming right now.

If you can, let us know what you need. We want to help.

View Profile of ookoo lady Send a personal message to ookoo lady      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-06 9:30 pm   Permalink

PJ, we would love to help in any way that will suit you, please let us know.

[ This Message was edited by: hiltiki 2005-09-06 21:41 ]

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-07 07:03 am   Permalink

I got a reply email from Mary Wahl this morning. She and Armead live in Metarie:

Hi Tim,
Thanks so much for checking on us. Armead and I are both doing fine. She evacuated to Panama City, Florida with her family and I with my husband and family and all our animals to Birmingham, Alabama. (This was the closest place that we could find a hotel) We are staying at a Pet Friendly hotel up here and will be indefinitely until we see how long we will have to stay out of Jefferson Parish. We live about 20 miles from downtown New Orleans where all the bad flooding is. If that 17th Street Canal would have broken on our side of the levee, we would have had about 15 feet of water in our house. Seems none of us had bad wind damage, just a few shingles off and some wood showing on the roofs. Armead said her house did not have water in it at all but my husband is going into town tomorrow to see how our house made out, water wise.
A friend told us that there was a water mark on the outside of the house so we MAY have taken on a little water but not much. I am so ancy to know. And we left the house so suddenly that Sunday, that I had a few things on the floor at the house that I hope did not get ruined. Otherwise we made out OK.
I don't know how long it will be till we can return home but they say at least another 2 or 3 weeks till the conditions are healthy and safe. I will be so disappointed if we don't get to come to Hukilau. I have been so looking forward to it all year long. And really need it now with all the stress.
There has been a vendor that signed up for Hukilau that I have been in touch with, that lives in New Orleans. Name is Purple Jade Tiki. I wonder how he
made out?
I'll keep in touch and let you know how things are going and if we are able to make it down to Hukilau for sure. But I'm not gonna give up. I'll wait until the last minute to decide before I make that decision. If we are not back home yet, there is nothing I can do then. Just depends on the power coming on, safe drinking water etc.
That is wonderful of you to do the fundraiser. Thanks so much! We personally don't need anything at this time but hearing from friends like you that
care means a whole lot.
Thanks again for your thoughtfulness and I'll keep you posted on conditions with us.
-Mary

Mai-Kai Memories Series Custom ceramic mugs!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-07 08:23 am   Permalink

I'm working with Kiliki to see if we can't put the idea into action on the Hukilau site. Rather than going through Ebay where they take a cut and then potentially PayPal takes a cut, we could do a direct PayPal, mail-in "sale" and get more bang for the buck there. "Swizzles against Katrina" maybe.

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrsmiley
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2005-09-07 11:48 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-09-06 20:47, purple jade wrote:

I've never had to accept charity before in my life and I don't exactly know how to do it gracefully. I don't really have much choice otherwise. Please forgive me as I stumble through this unfamiliar territory.

PJ-You would not be accepting charity because you and your husband are LAZY, you would be accepting it because you two NEED it. There is nothing to be ashamed of with that. This hurricane is not something you two caused. How do you accept charity gracefully? Simple-just say thank you. People are willing to help, I hope you allow us. Thanks--bruce

View Profile of mrsmiley Send a personal message to mrsmiley  Email mrsmiley Goto the website of mrsmiley     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrsmiley
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2005-09-07 12:00 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-09-06 20:47, purple jade wrote:

I'm not having such a great day today, sorry not to have any really great news.
People have made comments about my "getting back to work" and purchasing future PJT products. I'm sorry to say, that's not very likely. I just won't have any time, energy, or finances to spare on that for a long time. Honestly, at this point, I can't imagine ever feeling like doing it ever again anyway.

In my sometimes wrong opinion, it seems too early to think of things like your incredible tiki products. PJ, I am talking to the OTHERS here and not you. You don't need any pressure right now. I know the TC folks dOn't mean it as pressure, but it seems in my opinion that PJ needs our best wishes, prayers and some breathing space right now. We shouldn't be asking her to do stuff for US. Even if we do want those tiki treasures in the FUTURE.
I hope no one misunderstands what I am trying to say. Does any of this make sense??
If you like it, it is ZAZZ! If you don't it is RAZZ!

View Profile of mrsmiley Send a personal message to mrsmiley  Email mrsmiley Goto the website of mrsmiley     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-08 09:00 am   Permalink

Heard from Mary after she actually got to see her house. Worse than she thought:

<<Hi Christie,
Thanks so much for checking up on us. We appreciate your concern. We are doing fine. Armead's house is fine and had minor damage. All her Tiki's (or my inheritance, as she calls it) were fine and she didn't lose anything.
I just found out today that my house flooded. I think I had about a foot to 18 inches of water in the entire house at one time. The water is gone now but the damage is done. Furniture ruined, floors ruined, hole in roof and mold already starting to form on the wet walls. I am saving all of the tiki stuff that I can. That just makes me sick to my stomach to think what I may have lost but I just don't know yet.
My husband is going back into the house tomorrow to get more things out so we can save them. It may be 3 or 4 weeks before they will let us back into Metairie again and by then it will be too late to save anything. I will keep you posted on progress but as I told Tim, I am holding out until the last minute to let you know whether or not we will make it to Hukilau. I am thinking
realistically we will not make it but I want to wait a couple more weeks and see. Now that I know my house DID FLOOD, it doesn't look good for us to be leaving on a trip at that time. That might actually be around the time we may be moving back into the neighborhood.
Luckily my husband and I own a house next to the one we live in that is vacant and we will most probably be living there for awhile. That is where alot
of my tiki stuff is and that house was not flooded. It is built off the ground and is a two story house. We used to live there before the house we are in, but now we use it for, and appropriately call it, "The Storage Unit" .
I will keep you guys posted on our progress and if we can't make it to Hukilau, we will definitely make it to a Tiki Torch Night when things get more back to normal and we can enjoy it. I just can't believe that ANOTHER
hurricane has ruined our Hukilau trip. Last year it was Ivan.
Metairie, LA, where we live, was damaged and flooded but not like New Orleans so hopefully it won't be too long. Hope to see you sooner rather than later !!! and Thanks so much for thinking of us.

MARY>>

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation