FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Central Ohana Thoughts for PJ
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
Thoughts for PJ
Tangaroa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-19 4:54 pm   Permalink

I'm totally shocked. I can't imagine how that must feel, PJ.

Were you able to save anything at all?

View Profile of Tangaroa Send a personal message to Tangaroa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiPug
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-19 7:21 pm   Permalink

Your description and pictures brought tears to my eyes. My thoughts are with you and your family.

View Profile of TikiPug Send a personal message to TikiPug      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Raffertiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-20 3:03 pm   Permalink

PJ, I don't know what to say. Just get through this, and collect as many karma points as you can.

View Profile of Raffertiki Send a personal message to Raffertiki  Email Raffertiki Goto the website of Raffertiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Fez Ape
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-20 9:24 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-09-18 17:44, Benzart wrote:
Well PJ, that slide show was more heartbreaking than anything I have seen yet, and to know that was your home in ruins just doubles the agony. I truly hope things are looking up for you and the rest of your family. Just know we care......

Ben pretty much said it for me, I can only hope that the passage of time will flow quickly for you and yours and heal as much in it's passing.

View Profile of Fez Ape Send a personal message to Fez Ape      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MakeDaMug
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-20 9:40 pm   Permalink

PJ's sculpt is a few days out from being done. I have decided upon the launch & the price... 500 pieces at $40 per mug. I have a full cost matrix at the office which I am going to share with a US Governemnt Federally certified not for profit company who will oversee the sales. I propose a prebook/prepay with the shipping happening in January 2006. This way, we can fund PJ post haste. All upfront fees (sculpting, tooling, packaging materials, production pieces, etc.) will be paid for to my artists & factory in advance to push the project forward quickly.

There is A LOT of great feedback regarding how to roll this out. Especially awesome was the post from Bax. However, I am donating my time 100% to this and I need to keep it simple. I've already got a lot of hours into this and I need to keep the Farm moving forward, too. It will be an awesome good-will project and there are some fun future elements involved through some great TC input (i.e. individually hand glaze painted mugs visa vie our fellow noted Tiki artists and a "paint your own contest" where not only will PJ benefit but so will the winner of the contest). All for now... I'm out and snooze bound!

Mahaloz & our thoughts I'm sure are all with you PJ!!
Holden

On a great separate note... Squid, my very good friend and longest time sculptor for TF is doing this project for $100!!! That's unheard of and he didn't bat an eye - when I described the project to him, he stepped up to the plate like the unbelievable guy that he is and simply said "I'm in"... please send him an email thanking him - you can reach him at
dave@squidart.com

View Profile of MakeDaMug Send a personal message to MakeDaMug  Email MakeDaMug Goto the website of MakeDaMug     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DawnTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-20 10:14 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-09-20 21:40, smogbreather wrote:
he stepped up to the plate like the unbelievable guy that he is

Talk about stepping up to the plate?!?! It takes one to know one! Holden, this project sounds unbelievable to me, what a wonderful thing your making happen. It's nice to know people are helping where and however they can. I can't wait to see the final piece.

[ This Message was edited by: DawnTiki 2005-09-21 07:20 ]

View Profile of DawnTiki Send a personal message to DawnTiki  Email DawnTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikivixen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-21 04:52 am   Permalink

I was managing okay until I saw that book with "CAT" on the cover lying in the midst of the wreckage. Our happiness is such a fragile thing. I'm so sorry. Words fail me completely.

This may sound like a weird thing to say, but I love your house, PJ. It's just darling. Oh, I hope you can salvage it!!!

Even through the ruins, I can see what a wonderful home you had, and will have again.

(Know what? I've got extra dishes and kitchen stuff galore. Do you dig 1940's Homer Laughlin Eggshell Nautilus, for example? A whole set for like, eight people? Or?? Oh, there's more. I'm starting to go through my storage unit, and I'm definitely keeping track of things.)

Holden, I can't thank you guys enough for getting this effort together!!! I'm there the minute signup begins...

love from tikivixen

View Profile of tikivixen Send a personal message to tikivixen      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-21 07:17 am   Permalink

Dawn tiki took the words right out of my mouth about Holden, Thanks Smogbreather.
Unfortunately, Mother Nature may not be done with that gulf coast area yet. Ms Rita seems to be headed for a Texas visit. Lets pray she wanders off into nowhere land. Hang on tight!!

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bongofury
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2005-09-21 08:15 am   Permalink

PJ.......those pictures are hard to look at. We have all seen the devastation on the news, but it is hard to see someone we know going through it. Hang in there......we are all behind you waiting to help where we can.......

View Profile of bongofury Send a personal message to bongofury  Email bongofury     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-04 4:06 pm   Permalink

I sent PJ a Money Order for $505 today. Thanks to everyone who contributed. I will be taking more contributions at Hukilau. She says she'll be living in the hotel in Baton Rouge for at least another month. Try to imagine that...

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
codelisa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-04 8:58 pm   Permalink

I really feel for you PJ, and all the others affected by Katrina. It takes a tragedy like this to make us realize how much we take all the little things in life for granted. A few of my family members were deeply affected by Katrina also, but not as bad. Hang tough PJ, and everyone else, there WILL be better days ahead... My heart goes out to you all.

Have a drink on me...

View Profile of codelisa Send a personal message to codelisa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-05 05:29 am   Permalink

pj, let us know when you have an address to mail to, we will have some [useful] holiday gifts lined up for you if you're so inclined...

[ This Message was edited by: Johnny Dollar 2005-10-05 05:29 ]

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kon-Hemsby
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-05 11:12 am   Permalink

Hey PJ, let us know if there is anything we can help with (even if it is tricky from over here). Let us know your address when you can so we can send some stuff over to you, even if it is only a 'thinking of you' card.

Si

View Profile of Kon-Hemsby Send a personal message to Kon-Hemsby  Email Kon-Hemsby     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RichKoster

Posted: 2005-10-26 10:41 pm   Permalink

My workplace in New Orleans was destroyed by Katrina, but we're rebuilding. Except for construction workers (wearing protective gear) which our company hired, none of us on the staff are allowed to be in there even at this point months later, so I'm working from my home, making graphics. I drove around the place today as well as other parts of the city. It's like a bomb went off there -- and a ghost town compared to before. When we came back home after evacuating to Texas, I was sure my palm trees were not going to be there -- but thankfully they were just fine and our house only had some very small damage. The Polynesian-style foliage we had planted, however, needs TLC. We're very thankful that we were among the lucky ones but I'm wondering when I'll be able to get back to work.

Anyway, this place helps get my mind in a better frame of mind and helps me remember my Tiki vacations.

I'm glad to have found this board.

Polynesian Resort forum

View Profile of RichKoster Send a personal message to RichKoster  Email RichKoster Goto the website of RichKoster     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
purple jade
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-20 10:51 am   Permalink

Well, after waiting for roughly ten weeks for our insurance claim to be processed and a check cut so we could have some idea of how to get on with our lives, we just found out today we're going to be supremely screwed by FEMA, who *OOPSY!* ran out of money to pay off all the claims before they could get to ours, despite the fact we've been paying premiums for over ten years and filed our claim less than 24 hours after the storm. So we can't pay our mortgage, which means the bank will foreclose, and we'll lose the last thing we might have had to our names, our piece of sh*t flooded property that we might have at least sold to some carpetbagging opportunist for half its value. And, last we heard, after Jan. 7th, FEMA will no longer pay for temporary housing in hotels. The only other option given is an 8 X 30 trailer with one window the size of a TV tray, either in one of the lovely trailer communities in the middle of nowhere ( not feasible since we need to be within range of a hospital with a good cardiac unit )or we could put in on a merciful friend's or relative's property. But we can't have the cats in it. So that's not an option at all.

I've really tried to stay optimistic about this but I don't think I can do it anymore. I'm tired of driving four hours every day to clean up a house that I'm most likely going to lose, throwing away what little money we have on ridiculously expensive gasoline. I'm tired of the blocked sinuses, dry cough, and headache from the mold, the back and body aches from hauling out wet books and clothes and furniture. Tired of walking away from an ever-increasing pile of garbage every day that used to be valuable collectibles and treasured sentimental objects and having to keep telling myself "they're just things". I'm tired of having to be polite to the daily ubiquitous five or six church groups that stop by not to pitch in and help but to waste the very limited work time I have to ask me if I "know who my saviour is". Tired of being cramped in a less than luxurious hotel room with a toilet that runs noisily and constantly, and upstairs tenants that apparently have Ubangi Stomp marathons at 3:00AM. Tired of spending just about every waking hour cleaning some thing or another. Tired of trying not to face the facts that my husband and I will not be able to enjoy a comfortable retirement because of recent events. Tired of worrying about having no health insurance and a husband who has had two heart attacks. Tired of worrying about dragging my cats around to strange places and not being able to afford to keep their vaccinations current.

To those TC members who have tried to help me out, I do thank you so much, and it's for you that I've tried to keep a happy face. But I don't think I can pretend anymore that "everything's going to turn out alright". Because I just don't see how it can. And it's unbelievably hard to listen to people here talk so casually about breezing in and opening clubs and having Mardi Gras gatherings in MY city that has been cruelly ripped out from under me, MY home out of which I have been cast. There's no party there for me, no fruity umbrella drinks, no jazz and beads and girls gone wild, no funky folks and vintage clothes. The French Quarter might still be a great place for the tourists and "bohemians", but if you bother to step outside of it, here's a hell of a lot of devastation elswhere. It's just a lot of broken dreams and heartache.

[ This Message was edited by: purple jade 2005-11-20 10:56 ]

View Profile of purple jade Send a personal message to purple jade  Email purple jade Goto the website of purple jade     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation