FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Davez-tikiz - finally finished Lono 6-11 p.10
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
Davez-tikiz - finally finished Lono 6-11 p.10
Davez_tikiz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-31 07:19 am   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: Davez_tikiz 2007-06-11 15:10 ]

View Profile of Davez_tikiz Send a personal message to Davez_tikiz  Email Davez_tikiz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Davez_tikiz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-07 10:29 pm   Permalink

Question... I've been hitting the draw knife pretty heavy trying to get most of my smaller logs skinned and in the garage to make room for the larger ones... and it seems to be getting duller.

Is there an easy way to sharpen it? I was thinking maybe gluing some sandpaper on a wood block to use? Will that work? What grit is best? And the biggest question... do you sharpen the flat(bottom) side, or the side with the angle (tip side)?

View Profile of Davez_tikiz Send a personal message to Davez_tikiz  Email Davez_tikiz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Davez_tikiz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-15 09:40 am   Permalink

Tiki #3 progress.....

He started as a log, and then midway I split him to make a mask... he's about 22" tall.

it was interesting... the middle was a wet bunch of goo... I could almost scoop it out with my hands!

Still working on the headress... and shaping the head to look more round..

I'm really trying to sand this one down.. since it'll be up on a wall. My first try at headress stuff... suggestions/ comments?

Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-15 10:17 am   Permalink

Hey DB, this mask is looking good. Some palms are all mushy inside, like the queen and king palms but the outer wall is thick and hard enough to carve. Watch those pionty thingys like on the left edge, they will break foo easily in palm.
Sharpen a drawknife like a chisel. Keep the bottom flat and sharpen on the bevel. A Fine file may work. Sand paper should work, starting with maybe 100 then going to 150, then to 220 and finish with 350. All a draw knife is, is a very wide chisel and it needs to be sharpened the same way.
Keep at it, you're doing great.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-16 8:26 pm   Permalink

DB,

NICE! I can't wait to see more of it.

View Profile of GMAN Send a personal message to GMAN      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Davez_tikiz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-19 8:11 pm   Permalink

Ok... he's all ready for stain... made some improvements in symmetry this time. First try at the headress.. shaping the top of the head was tough.

I sanded him to 220... a big improvement for me. Any ideas as to how to stain him? Burn the mouth and eyesocket.. bleach or pickling stain the eyeballs and teeth? just a clear coat? I don't want to mess him up witha bad stain job!!!! Help!!

Davez_tikiz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-10 8:51 pm   Permalink

Ok.... I'm biting the bullet and trying a full body tiki. This log is palm, about 40" tall. I drew out the body to get the proportions...

This looks tough... I'll post pics along the way. I'd love any feedback or input in the process....

I tried to draw out a pretty simple body design.

rodeotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-10 9:01 pm   Permalink

Design looks really good . Just start chipping away and keep us posted . AA has some great photos of side profiles for a full body tiki that i found usefull.

View Profile of rodeotiki Send a personal message to rodeotiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-11 3:13 pm   Permalink

DB,

Don't get roped in and confined by your drawing/sketch on the wood. It looks like some of your lines are close together and you might wind up running into problems. Carve the tiki one step at a time and the other parts will fall into place. Make sure you have room to leave high spots where you need them. You sound apprehensive about the project? Just jump in and make it happen. Be aggressive and cut deep. If it's any help, I draw sketches on paper, think about how to make the particular cuts, and then cut on a clean log. I get the picture in my head and then start cutting and try to remove all the wood around the hidden tiki.

Good luck, and show us lots of pics along the way.

-Gman

http://www.oceanandislandarts.blogspot.com/

View Profile of GMAN Send a personal message to GMAN      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Davez_tikiz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-11 9:42 pm   Permalink

rodeo... thanks.. I have been looking at AA's progress pics for info.. its been a great help.

gman.. I am a little nervous about this one. I was having a tough time picturing the cuts in my head until I started carving. Its getting better. Thanks for the info... I like the idea of drawing on paper and leaving the log blank. For now I need to see it to make sure I get the size/proportions right.

here's today's update:

I just kind of started removing wood all over the place. I need to go deeper in several spots, but I can see how to get there now (I think)

I can see I didn't leave enough room for the middle of the legs.. I may try to lower the base a little and redo that part. Might be too late for that. Suggestions?

Aaron's Akua
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-11 10:52 pm   Permalink

The full body will mess with your mind the first go-round (I say that with authority, don't I? Still working on my first...). Take out all the big "air" pieces first. Some of the other cuts just can't be made till later. You may need to resketch some lines as you go deeper, but that's no big deal. I would try to focus on the side profile - that's where the biggest pieces come off first. Take your time, you're doing fine!

A-A

"Ah, good taste! What a dreadful thing! Taste is the enemy of creativeness."
-Pablo Picasso

View Profile of Aaron's Akua Send a personal message to Aaron's Akua      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Davez_tikiz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-12 9:23 pm   Permalink

AA -thanks... it actually has been easier than I thought it would be... here's today's progress shot:

Got the arms, legs, mouth roughed out. Something not quite right about the nose/eyes... I think the groove between needs to be bigger... tomorrow's project!

rodeotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-12 11:19 pm   Permalink

Looking good so far. just keep going deeper .

View Profile of rodeotiki Send a personal message to rodeotiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki beat by marcus thorn
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2005-10-13 01:28 am   Permalink

Hi doubrausky your carvings ar great keep up the good work.

View Profile of tiki beat by marcus thorn Send a personal message to tiki beat by marcus thorn  Email tiki beat by marcus thorn Goto the website of tiki beat by marcus thorn     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-13 05:25 am   Permalink

Now Heres what I'm talkin' about.. You Can DO IT. Looking really excellent.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation