FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Davez-tikiz - finally finished Lono 6-11 p.10
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
Davez-tikiz - finally finished Lono 6-11 p.10
Palama Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-13 05:59 am   Permalink

let go of the fear and relax.... you'll do great!

View Profile of Palama Tiki Send a personal message to Palama Tiki  Email Palama Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Davez_tikiz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-20 10:19 pm   Permalink

So here's the next one... it's a 4 1/2' KU... definitely a big stretch! I used a little modelI got in Hawaii and lots of progress picsfrom Aaron's Lono... they really help!

I've used a lot more chainsaw to get down to the rough shape. Not sure how to start the legs, though.

Also, I was gonna leave wood to run the headress down past the shoulders, but oops cut too much, so he will just have it down to theneck

suggestions and comments would really help!!!!

View Profile of Davez_tikiz Send a personal message to Davez_tikiz  Email Davez_tikiz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-21 4:51 pm   Permalink

Yes sir! Now you're cooking with Crisco oil!!!!!!! Those are some deep cuts.

-Gman

http://www.oceanandislandarts.blogspot.com/

View Profile of GMAN Send a personal message to GMAN      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Davez_tikiz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-23 1:22 pm   Permalink

Thanks G! The piles of sawdust agree with you!

Here's today's update:

The legs have been the hardest thing I've done to date... tryingto wrap my head around how to liberate them from the wood was tough! They are going to end up too skinny, but that's ok.

Nesxt tough challenge... shaping the arms!

View Profile of Davez_tikiz Send a personal message to Davez_tikiz  Email Davez_tikiz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Davez_tikiz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-27 4:26 pm   Permalink

latest update.... about 4 more hours of work:

got the legs mostly done.. the back of his head, some of the eyes, deepened the mouth. Still need to do the arms before starting more detailing. Man, this is a lot of hours!!

congatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-27 4:28 pm   Permalink

nice work so far doubrouvsky.....he's really coming
around...he's gonna be your best one!

View Profile of congatiki Send a personal message to congatiki  Email congatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-27 5:13 pm   Permalink

I agree. It looks like a winner. Definitely your best one yet. Keep going! More pics....

-Gman

View Profile of GMAN Send a personal message to GMAN      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-27 7:17 pm   Permalink

doubrouvsky.....he's really looking good.. Sometimes I have a hard time seeing the legs and have to just work them out a little at a time. Looks like they are gonna be super. The Perportions are excellent. I think this is going to be one of your biggest challenges and it looks like you will breeze right thru it. Can't wait to see more pix.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Davez_tikiz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-27 10:01 pm   Permalink

Conga... thanks! I think he will definitely be the best one yet. He is certainly the most challenging! I'm learning a lot about the body proportions.

Gman.. thanks for the props.. I was feeling today like I wasn't getting anywhere... helps to hear such great praise. This one has been tough!

Ben... nice to hear that even the master struggles sometimes! The legs were the hardest, and ended up being skinnier than I wanted. He has been by FAR the biggest challenge yet... trying to figure out proportions and angles and where cuts should be has been a mindbender! Still... its been a lot of fun. Long ways to go though....

Aaron's Akua
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-27 10:08 pm   Permalink

Dave, it looks great - just like it should right now. You're just about to that "clean slate" stage where you're ready to regroup and start detailing in earnest. You've got the full body thing goin' on and not screwed up anything in the process or taken too much off anywhere. Get the eyes roughed out & you're ready to go. This is where that fancy-schmancy recip carver or yours will come in handy. The proportions are great, and it's looking pretty smooth. Bases are loaded...

"Ah, good taste! What a dreadful thing! Taste is the enemy of creativeness."
-Pablo Picasso

View Profile of Aaron's Akua Send a personal message to Aaron's Akua      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Davez_tikiz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-28 06:05 am   Permalink

Thanks Aaron.. the recip carver has come in real handy throughout.. and I used the chainsaw a LOT more than I ever have before. One nice byproduct has been the sawdust hasn't been flying everywhere from the grinder as much as before.

GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-28 2:54 pm   Permalink

Hey DB,

What kind of wood is that you're choppin' on? It looks a bit stringy, like palm? Anyhow, I'm floored by the steps you've taken in the last few weeks. I think everyone here agrees you've hit lightspeed....

-Gman

Davez_tikiz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-30 08:27 am   Permalink

G... wow... you put a big smile on my face! Thanks for the encouragement. You're right it is palm.. a Washingtonia. It's really stringy on the outside. Fortunately with this one, not much of the outer wood is left!

finkdaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-30 09:28 am   Permalink

That's looking like one nice tiki! But hey, where are the finished pics of the last ones? Don't hide 'em, bring 'em out!

View Profile of finkdaddy Send a personal message to finkdaddy  Email finkdaddy Goto the website of finkdaddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Davez_tikiz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-15 10:00 pm   Permalink

Well, my wife wanted a tiki with his tongue out, so here goes... he's about 4-5 hours in and about 5 1/2 ft tall.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation