FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Davez-tikiz - finally finished Lono 6-11 p.10
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
Davez-tikiz - finally finished Lono 6-11 p.10
Davez_tikiz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-30 2:30 pm   Permalink

Here's the next one... I'll try and post some step-by step pics... It's a 6' palm log split in half.. planning on twin marq's. I made an eye/nose template for this one so all four sets would look the same. So far I've split thelog, debarked, sanded, drawn a center line and drawn out the rough outline. About 2 hours in.. the real work still to come... feeling a cold settling in so this one may take a while.

View Profile of Davez_tikiz Send a personal message to Davez_tikiz  Email Davez_tikiz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Loki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-30 2:41 pm   Permalink

You are a machine...they look great and your progress is inspiring...keep at it and keep the pics coming

View Profile of Loki Send a personal message to Loki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PalmCityTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-30 3:32 pm   Permalink

Man you are advancing rapidly now. Twins. Great. Hope the carving is easy and the wood is a friend...good mana.

Carve on

View Profile of PalmCityTiki Send a personal message to PalmCityTiki  Email PalmCityTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-30 3:51 pm   Permalink

WHOA! Looks like you'll be busy for a while there DB. If you cut those deep, I think they'll look great. Hope you feel better soon. I hear sawdust cures the common cold.....

-Gman

http://www.oceanandislandarts.blogspot.com/

View Profile of GMAN Send a personal message to GMAN      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-30 4:54 pm   Permalink

Yeah, I can't wait to see a pile of sawdust standing next to those twins (or is it quadruplets?). They just look like a couple logs right now, but I'm sure that will chage soon.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Aaron's Akua
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-30 10:25 pm   Permalink

You can't miss with a layout that looks that good.

View Profile of Aaron's Akua Send a personal message to Aaron's Akua      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-01 07:20 am   Permalink

Those look like they'd go great flanking a doorway, maybe with the top of the Tikis set flush with the top of the door with a lintel piece across the top? I don't know of any Marquesan lintel carvings, but maybe a Tapa cloth covered lintel or a wood one with Tapa designs carved into or painted on it?

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rodeotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-01 11:30 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-11-30 22:25, Aaron's Akua wrote:
You can't miss with a layout that looks that good.

Couldnt agree more. Cant wait to see them in progress.

View Profile of rodeotiki Send a personal message to rodeotiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Davez_tikiz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-01 1:08 pm   Permalink

Loki... thanks! I'm workin on it! Stayed home sick from work today... tried to rest but the marq kept calling to me...

Gman... trying to stay true and "GO DEEP!" We'll see about the sawdust... I was out there today, "takin the medicine".

AA,Ben...thanks for the encouragement!

Freddie... I like that idea! I have been planning to put them on the wall on either side of the rack for the pool cues and balls, but hmmmm....

Rodeo... here's today's progress... should've been resting but couldn't keep away. I used the Arbortech min-grinder blade to make outline cuts, and then the Arbortech power chisel to move the wood. This log is really stringy!

View Profile of Davez_tikiz Send a personal message to Davez_tikiz  Email Davez_tikiz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-01 1:34 pm   Permalink

Nice pieces in the works there, Dou...Cool design, too...there are a lot of those sorts of poles in the London Trader Vic's. And true dat-go deep. The deeper you can get those guide cuts the better. When you cut the features you'll find that the whole thing will take on a natural contour. I love things in pairs! Looks really regal to have a pair of tikis flanking a door!

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-01 3:43 pm   Permalink

DB,

Way to go! Now go get some rest so you can get back to carving tomorrow!

-Gman

http://www.oceanandislandarts.blogspot.com/

View Profile of GMAN Send a personal message to GMAN      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-01 4:26 pm   Permalink

Lookin good doubravsky, and those palm logs really do look stringy. What kind of palm is it? Make sure those arbortech chisels are sharp!. The ones I got had to be sharpened. They were polished and Looked sharp, but had a flat edge all the way across. That stringy log needs ultra sharp tools.
Did I hear you say you took the day off "Sick"?? Right, sick because you had no time to work on these 2 logs,, We Know (wink wink) Hopefully your boss doesn't frequent TC or you are in Trouble!!

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
congatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-02 05:42 am   Permalink

Nice work in a short time Doubravsky...I just love that
Marq style....I did one as my first BIG tiki and wish I had
done a little better job...I'm sure I'll tackle another
one of these days. Yours is going to turn out great.

View Profile of congatiki Send a personal message to congatiki  Email congatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Davez_tikiz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-02 06:11 am   Permalink

Bk, Gman... thanks! I thought about taking today off too, but it would be solely to get a day of carving in... so back to work I go. I'll try and get some in tonight.

Ben... you're right... the chisels are not very sharp. I sharpened the flat ones pretty well, but I use the rounded gouge a lot, and I'm afraid I'm not very good at sharpening yet. I spent some time last night working on them.... we'll see if I can tell a difference.

Conga thanks... I say go for another!

Aaron's Akua
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-02 08:51 am   Permalink

Maybe we could get a "hands on" sharpening lesson at Coontiki. Ben?...

"Ah, good taste! What a dreadful thing! Taste is the enemy of creativeness."
-Pablo Picasso

View Profile of Aaron's Akua Send a personal message to Aaron's Akua      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation