FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Creating Tiki » » Tiki Carving » » Davez-tikiz - finally finished Lono 6-11 p.10
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
Davez-tikiz - finally finished Lono 6-11 p.10
Davez_tikiz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-03 4:19 pm   Permalink

I second that request, Ben!!!!

Here's today's update. Got much of the chiseling done on #1. My daughter says "it's me! that tiki looks like me!"

I think I need to do something between the bottom of the nose and the mouth..I spaced it out a little far between nose and mouth. I'm gonna try going deeper in in a "V" shape, and I'll probably add tattoing on the nose/ nostril area. Oh, and the desing on the top of the head, too.

Any other suggestions beforeI start cleaning it up?

View Profile of Davez_tikiz Send a personal message to Davez_tikiz  Email Davez_tikiz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Davez_tikiz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-05 06:31 am   Permalink

Here's the weekend update... twin #1 is finished. I burned the dark spots, stained the rest with Minwax Golden Pecan, and one coat of lacquer.

Time to start twin #2!

View Profile of Davez_tikiz Send a personal message to Davez_tikiz  Email Davez_tikiz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Loki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-05 06:45 am   Permalink

Nice work. Great color.

View Profile of Loki Send a personal message to Loki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Aaron's Akua
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-05 12:23 pm   Permalink

Nice! You're right - that would make a killer pool cue rack.

View Profile of Aaron's Akua Send a personal message to Aaron's Akua      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-05 2:31 pm   Permalink

Dang DB! You're cruising now. I like it. Are you going to do #2 the same way or change it up a bit? Those hot rod tools are a real help aye?

-Gman

http://www.oceanandislandarts.blogspot.com/

View Profile of GMAN Send a personal message to GMAN      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
turbosickboy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-05 3:15 pm   Permalink

Nice work on that one. And a really cool old-school Santa Cruz behind it!

View Profile of turbosickboy Send a personal message to turbosickboy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Moondance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-05 4:04 pm   Permalink

Doubravsky-
Sweet little girl, before you know it she will be taller than that fine Tiki you just finished. I really like the way you finished it also.
What tools are you using on those twins??
Moon

View Profile of Moondance Send a personal message to Moondance  Email Moondance Goto the website of Moondance     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Davez_tikiz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-05 5:33 pm   Permalink

Loki... thanks... I like the golden pecan stain with the lacquer combo. Gives it a nice tone...

Aaron.. thanks! I'll post a pic of them in place when the youngertwin gets done..

G... the plan is for identical twins.. they should be pretty close (hopefully). Yup, that power chisel really speeds things up!

Turbo... you like the board eh? I've had that sucker since about 1985.. (shows how much I use it since the deck is still unbroken!)

Moon.. thanks! She is a great girl. I used.. 1) chainsaw to split the log, 2) arbortech power chisel to carve most of it, with a minigrinder to cut the guide lines.

Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-05 5:45 pm   Permalink

DB, Looks great. Looks like you are getting along with that power chisel pretty well. It Really can move some wood can't it? Nice.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-05 9:07 pm   Permalink

Twin # 1 looks the goods. Cant wait to see the other matching one

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JohnnyP
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-06 06:12 am   Permalink

That two tone look is growing on me a lot! I need to start looking for power chisels, you've done a lot in a short time.
JohnnyP

View Profile of JohnnyP Send a personal message to JohnnyP  Email JohnnyP Goto the website of JohnnyP     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
turbosickboy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-06 10:44 am   Permalink

Yeah i like that board. are you the owner of the other one aswell??
Take it easy with the Santa cruz, you don´t find them easily in these days

View Profile of turbosickboy Send a personal message to turbosickboy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Davez_tikiz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-28 7:35 pm   Permalink

Well, since got the 5 Henry Taylor chisels I wanted for Christmas, and a piece of 2x8 Cherry wood.. it's time to try a Maori face.Thisone is straight out of The Art of Maori Carving. There is a step-by-step demo piece... Here is the work so far:

So far it's primarily a couple straight chisels, and a 1/2" medium gouge. I don't have much time in with chisels, so it's slow going. Another growth opportunity!

Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-29 06:03 am   Permalink

Doubravsky, the Makin's are All there for an excellent Maori face and you will learn about all those chisels on this one.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Davez_tikiz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-07 06:39 am   Permalink

Here aremy latest efforts...

a yipwon I've been playing with. It's from a 2x8 piece of cherry about 24" long... nearly done.

and a Lono I've been kind of laying with for a long time. He's 7' tall from Mexican Fan palm. I started him with a saw.. then switched to hand chisels after cutting the headress and some arm guide cuts. The rest has been by hand...

Sorry for the flash... it washes it out quite a bit.

Imade the deadress cuts too shallow towards the head... butI think when I make the cuts up there I can work around it.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation