FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Davez-tikiz - finally finished Lono 6-11 p.10
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
Davez-tikiz - finally finished Lono 6-11 p.10
Polynesiac
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2006-03-08 9:38 pm   Permalink

listen to aaron (especially his leaving extra space tip) and everyone else.

When I carve my bigger tikis I only use chisels, so my advice will refer to my technique. Powertools may offer you other options.

I'd carve the shape of the arms first. After you have the shape of the arms down, you can do a through cut to separate the arms from the body - but make sure you have the basic shape of the arms already done. Once you have the shape of the arms down, you can start adding details, like muscles and curvature to the limbs.

most importantly, just carve. It will come eventually and they'll never look perfect to you.

OMG! I'm on Instagram!

View Profile of Polynesiac Send a personal message to Polynesiac  Email Polynesiac Goto the website of Polynesiac     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Davez_tikiz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-08 9:40 pm   Permalink

Ben... thanks! I am enjoying working with something different than palm..

Aaron.. you're right.. totally screws with your head! Thanks for the advice. I drilled a little tonight.. I'll start on the arms tomorrow. I was kind of trying to remove everything around them so there would be nothing left but arms.. I think Gman was right in that there is not enough diameter to really bring out the elbows. I'll try moving the hands to the thighs.. it might be too late for that.

Thanks again... keep the suggestions coming!

DAve

View Profile of Davez_tikiz Send a personal message to Davez_tikiz  Email Davez_tikiz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Davez_tikiz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-15 8:54 pm   Permalink

progress little by little. Got slowed down quite a bit by the tattoo. Here's the latest. The arms are a liitle more defined. Hard to tell... the pics were with flash so they washed out some.

Still a struggle. Can't wait until the day when I can see the stuff in the log better and attack it in a quicker way.

View Profile of Davez_tikiz Send a personal message to Davez_tikiz  Email Davez_tikiz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Aaron's Akua
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-16 9:13 pm   Permalink

I was looking for the tattoo on this tiki till I saw your other thread. Great tattoo by the way! If I had mine to do all over (common lament I'm sure), they would all be black tribals (no color). We will have to compare notes - that polynesian tattoo place sounds interesting.

Back to this thread, the Ku looks good, nice progress. You have left plenty of extra wood for more definition later. I see that huge Lono standing guard still in the back (Folks, I saw this one in person - it's an amibitious project to say the least!).

Nice work Dave, se ya in the backwoods of Tennessee.

Aaron

"Ah, good taste! What a dreadful thing! Taste is the enemy of creativeness."
-Pablo Picasso

View Profile of Aaron's Akua Send a personal message to Aaron's Akua      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Davez_tikiz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-17 07:40 am   Permalink

Thanks, Aaron, appreciate the kind words! See ya in Tennessee!

Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-17 08:00 am   Permalink

Doube, really looking great. I Love what you are doing, even though you have to "Work it out" . I'm Still the same way, I have to work it until it looks right. I'm not one of these guys (like Marcus) who just throws on a few lines and whacks at it a few minutes and then have this Perfect Body. Legs, arms, chest and All. I HATE those guys. Not really, I just hate not being able to do that.
Also I Love your garage, it looks a lot like mine with tools put away Exactly where you would need them. No sense in putting tools where they Are not gonna be used, like a tool box or anything like that. COmfortable woork space, Love it.
Like that big old Lono too standing around waiting his turn. Careful lest he runs out of patience..
Tenn Here we come.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Davez_tikiz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-17 08:42 am   Permalink

Ben, I love it when you say that! There's hope for me yet... but then again, if you still do it that way, hmm.....

You're right, the tools are right where I need 'em! And once every couple of months I clean up whether it needs it or not!

Lono has been real patient so far.. he gets ignored for a month, then worked on every night for a while, then ignored. Hope he doesn't get irritated, cause he's a lot bigger than me!

JohnnyP
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-17 4:24 pm   Permalink

I think you are off to a great start and are closer than you think. For me anyways, I don't know about anybody else, this is point of the carving process where I really get discouraged. As Benzart says, just keep going, it will come.

People can actually see what is in the log?
JP

View Profile of JohnnyP Send a personal message to JohnnyP  Email JohnnyP Goto the website of JohnnyP     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Davez_tikiz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-22 07:13 am   Permalink

Well, I finally finished something! Here is a Yipwon... from PNG. "The book" says they used to splash the blood of their vanquished enemies on these guys! It's about 2 1/2 ft. tall... cherry wood. I used the .... oh, wait a minute... (what is learned at Coontiki stays at Coontiki) I used asecret process passed down in secrecy from the revered Basement Kahuna to gived it an aged look. How'zzzat?

Here it is on the wall....

congatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-22 10:14 am   Permalink

very cool Dave...looks like some of those coontiki skills are starting to show up. I
have always dug the Yipwon's....or at least "always" since I have been into Polynesian
art.

View Profile of congatiki Send a personal message to congatiki  Email congatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-22 10:46 am   Permalink

A Yipwon is on my wish list. I had not thought of mounting it that way on the wall. Here is a picture of a bunch of them I wish I had bought, which were about 8 feet tall. All in a line would have been cool.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-22 3:51 pm   Permalink

DB,

That looks sweet! Now let's splash some blood on it!

-G

View Profile of GMAN Send a personal message to GMAN      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Davez_tikiz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-22 4:36 pm   Permalink

hmmmm..... I dooooo have this neighbor.....

GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-22 6:28 pm   Permalink

View Profile of GMAN Send a personal message to GMAN      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Davez_tikiz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-23 09:29 am   Permalink

oK... so I also finished this Ku made with some redwood Aaron traded me..... he's about 2 1/2' tall. Had a lot of trouble with the brittle sapwood... next time I'll choose a simpler design with this wood. It's a Merlot stain.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation