FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Need Help Identifying These Door Handles
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Need Help Identifying These Door Handles
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-08 09:49 am   Permalink

At first I thought this guy is some kind of idiot to sell this and not put "Tiki Door Handles Traders Dayonta BEach" or something like that. Then I thought, maybe he was selling 10 pounds of brass. Then I had no idea what to think. It wasn't a push to sell stolen authentic tiki. I can't imagine what the purpose was. Inept and deceitful, yes.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Tiki Central Poet Laureate

Posted: 2005-09-08 09:57 am   Permalink

Maybe he was asked to install new security door hardware and locks on the doors and thought he'd try to sell the old handles on eBay to make a little money instead of throwing them away. It's hard to guess at this time.

Sabu

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-08 10:13 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-09-08 09:12, Jawa wrote:
There sure is a lot of mystery and intrigue in the world of tiki!!!

between reading this, and hearing about a compatriot visiting the former Luau Room in Louisville KY, aware that many patrons were armed, i would think QT* could get a pretty good movie out of this material

*quentin tarantino

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-08 12:48 pm   Permalink

"Blood on the Tikis" is a good working title...

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ZebraTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-08 1:23 pm   Permalink

The big question is if the manager took these door handles off, for whatever reason, what were they replaced with?

There's also the possibility that the handles on one entrance had to be replaced for an honest reason.

Where I work, we have a public safety issue with our western-facing 'brass door handles o'death' heating up during the summer, so much so that people have threatened lawsuits due to burned hands, and demanded the owner replace them, so the very expensive brass handles were wrapped in bicycle handle tape.

Yes, it looks as bad as it sounds.

Sabu, your powers of finding tiki are supernatural!

View Profile of ZebraTiki Send a personal message to ZebraTiki  Email ZebraTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Tiki Central Poet Laureate

Posted: 2005-09-08 11:28 pm   Permalink

I received this e-mail today in reply to my query to the seller several days ago:

"THE HANDLES CAME FROM TRADERS RESTAURANT IN DAYTONA BEACH WHICH I AM THE MANAGER. WE HAVE REMODELED AND REMOVED THE 2 DOORS AND REPLACED WITH ONE MODERN DOOR. SOMEONE CALLED ME THIS MORNING AT THE RESTAURANT INQUIRING ABOUT THE HANDLES ON YOUR BEHALF. THIS IS A VALID SALE. IF YOU HAVE ANY FURTHER QUESTIONS PLEASE FEEL FREE TO CONTACT ME .
THANKS
TOM SAGMILLER"

So it looks like tikigreg's call finally prompted a response to me. What do you think? Legit?

Sabu

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kono
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-09 02:21 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-09-08 23:28, Sabu The Coconut Boy wrote:
What do you think? Legit?

I'd say semi-legit.

I'm sure he didn't ask the owner: "Say, you guys don't mind if I sell these on ebay do you?"

"Sure Tom, go ahead, knock yourself out! That'll be your bonus for this quarter."

If it was 100% legit then I'd think that he'd put where they came from in the auction listing. Anybody that's got PBS knows the importance of provenance to the value of an antique. Plus, the mere fact that he has a shill account and then the odd manner in which he handled the transaction (quickly dropping the asking price from $400 to $56) tells me that he is a shady character. I'm sure that he feels that if he were to be caught, that he has some room to weasel out of trouble ("I thought you were just going to through them away") but would probably rather not have that confrontation with the owner occur.

View Profile of Kono Send a personal message to Kono  Email Kono Goto the website of Kono     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kailuageoff
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-13 1:46 pm   Permalink

I can't belive the twists and turns this is taking. Other than my home tiki bar, I've been totally out of the tiki world this summer - but this thread is just too much. I'm suddenly feeling all this pressure to find out if this guy sold those handles without the owners permission... Sorry, I didn't check it out yet.
KG

View Profile of Kailuageoff Send a personal message to Kailuageoff  Email Kailuageoff     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bananabobs
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-13 7:55 pm   Permalink

This is compelling stuff! It reads like a Hardy Boy mystery
Its no wonder that Humuhumu found those so quick, she is after all a "Special Tiki Central Agent"
I recall seeing those at Bali Hai and was bouncing in my seat until I got to Jackalopes post. Now what? Should, like the manager wake up one morning and find a bloody Tiki head in his bed? We know people who know people.

View Profile of bananabobs Send a personal message to bananabobs      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabina
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2005-09-19 8:59 pm   Permalink

Well, apparently we at least know where your set came from. I still might try contacting the owners.

To go off on a semi related tangent for one moment, I'm still wondering about the original manufacturer and where all their treasures went, as we seem to have several pairs that up until very recently were still in use (The Traders and the Bali Hai)

And in particular, I'm kicking myself, as we just took this picture of the door handle (as others here in the thread already pointed out) with the same design, at the Bali Hai this past May-

The thing is, due to the camera angle, we can't compare flaws in the casting with what you've pointed out on the set you have.

Back in college, I did some bronze casting, and I'm very familiar with the process. So what I'm left wondering is to what extent the flaws you pointed out may be common across some or all examples of the handles OR are they utterly unique to that set?

Next time someone is at the Bali Hai, could you consider trying to get a straight on picture of the door handle? I'm really interested in whether or not the defect in the teeth for example, is common in these castings.

Also, what year did the Traders open? Can we date the doorhandles to the 50's like the Bali Hai, or are they a later addition? Any chance we narrow down manufacturers by a time period?

View Profile of Sabina Send a personal message to Sabina  Goto the website of Sabina     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-21 7:42 pm   Permalink

What a cool thread. I never looked before cause door handles arent the most exciting things generally.

Sound like you got a good deal, but the dude selling them was way dodgy. Perhaps the blury pics and not listing the restaurant cause he didnt want to get caught?

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-22 02:44 am   Permalink

While we were at the new San Francisco Trader Vic's, Unga Bunga noted these doorpulls on the restrooms and snapped this pic. They're different from the other doorpulls, but what the hey, here they are:

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-22 10:33 am   Permalink

That TV handle wasn't as close as I thought it was (Damn rum). I guess what caught my eye was that they are all doing the "Fonzie pose" (thumbs up). I guess that is a prerequisite for all Tiki door handles.

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pappythesailor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-22 1:06 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-09-22 02:44, Humuhumu wrote:
While we were at the new San Francisco Trader Vic's, Unga Bunga noted these doorpulls on the restrooms and snapped this pic. They're different from the other doorpulls, but what the hey, here they are:

Same as the outside doorhandles at the Jardin Tiki in Montreal! I have a pic of them too so I'm not the only nutcase on TC. (There're different tiki doorhandles inside.)

View Profile of pappythesailor Send a personal message to pappythesailor  Goto the website of pappythesailor     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-Troll
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-19 6:30 pm   Permalink

sorry to say but something else is now missing from Traders. My husband says one of the large witco pieces from the front is gone. We don't know if anything else is missing. I just don't know why they would be getting rid of this stuff, when we were there this summer everyone there seemed really excited about it, alot nicer than some of the places we have gone that have treated us like we were nutty.

View Profile of Tiki-Troll Send a personal message to Tiki-Troll  Email Tiki-Troll     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation