FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving surfntiki 2009
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
surfntiki 2009
capotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-16 6:32 pm   Permalink

Go for it!I hope more try also,I am looking forward to seeing the results.

View Profile of capotiki Send a personal message to capotiki  Email capotiki Goto the website of capotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Moondance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-19 07:07 am   Permalink

Capotiki-
I have a 8", 10" & 14" tubes ready to rock! I'm going to take photo's as I go. I've decided to do the 10" X 48" first. I'll take photos tonight to show you my progress.
How do you attach the wire to the tube. I was thinking that I can drill the tube and run wire through it to attach. Also I two sizes of wire, small square and chicken wire. Thank you Capo!
Wes

View Profile of Moondance Send a personal message to Moondance  Email Moondance Goto the website of Moondance     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
capotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-19 08:31 am   Permalink

I would use the chicken wire,what I use is 20 gauge wire with 1 inch hole.I wrap the tube by rolling the wire around the tube completely 2 times.Take pliers,and bend the cut edge of the wire back under the inner wire wrap and secure it that way,no need to drill.You can go around the tube tightening the wire by bending with pliers,just grab a section of wire and turn your wrist.Your wire can be loose but you do not want it to move on the tube.Have fun!After you get the tube covered with mortar make some reference lines and start sculpting,

View Profile of capotiki Send a personal message to capotiki  Email capotiki Goto the website of capotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-19 11:08 am   Permalink

Capotiki, your process is great, thanks for sharing it with us. You make it look so easy. The finish you use is really interesting as it almost looks like fired clay. Love it.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Moondance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-19 9:45 pm   Permalink

I see, I was thinking I needed to use a harder, firmer wire so I could have more dimension to the Moai. I'll take photos of what I have so far.
Wes
I tend to over think projects at times, in fact all of the time.

View Profile of Moondance Send a personal message to Moondance  Email Moondance Goto the website of Moondance     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
capotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-20 10:54 am   Permalink

you could add more wire to build up the face,the smaller the hole in the wire the better it holds the mud.When you are building,build in layers,adding more as the mortar sets.even out with a paint brush and water. The nose will take the most time as far as building up layers,go slow,and have fun!capotiki

teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-20 11:21 am   Permalink

there is a balance too. the smaller the holes in the wire, the harder it is to bend in 360 degree ways.

View Profile of teaKEY Send a personal message to teaKEY  Email teaKEY Goto the website of teaKEY     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Moondance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-20 5:49 pm   Permalink

Here's what I have so far:

I'll post tonights progress tomorrow, now it's back to work.
Wes

capotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-20 8:54 pm   Permalink

I see where you are going,I might have put wire around the tube first and then added foam and more wire,it would cut your prep time down,you could just wire the foam to the wire on the tube.aw some engineering,waiting for progress photos.capo

Moondance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-20 11:02 pm   Permalink

Capotiki-
I used the foam as a guide, so it made it easier to wrap. The foam was applied with 3M spray glue. I'm kind of doing it this way so I can learn more with emphasis to dimension. I assume this is the long way to getting close to the same results but I didn't want to bug you about all aspects of your creative process. I very much appreciate all of your guidance and insight. Thanks again and I'll post photos after I get home from work. I need to get some sleep. This work thing is getting in the way Tiki's.
Wesley

capotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-21 08:39 am   Permalink

There is a learning curve to any process,most of the dimension I get is mainly from the mortar not the wire.add, let it set,add some more.With your determination and planning I am sure the final result will be great.I am going to build a baseball theme tiki today so challenges await me as well,I will always help when I can.capo

Moondance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-21 6:58 pm   Permalink

After each coat, except for the final coat do I scratch the surface to allow the next coat to adhere to the previous coat? Thanks again Capo!
Wes

capotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-21 7:45 pm   Permalink

No scratching necessary,you will get a feel for the mud,the moisture in the mortar will cause the new and old to bond ,just work the new into old not using too much pressure,with the inner wire structure you created the process may go faster.IF something does not look correct remove it and start over.What type of tool are you using to apply with.use something with a flat nose and 2 or 3 inches wide.
capo

Moondance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-21 8:48 pm   Permalink

Capo-
I was thinking a small margin trowel. About 2" wide by 4" long. Do you think that would work?
Wes

capotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-21 9:19 pm   Permalink

6 inches long would work better,that is my preference.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation