FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving surfntiki 2009
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
surfntiki 2009
Moondance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-21 9:46 pm   Permalink

6" it is then, Thanks for the guidance.
Wes

View Profile of Moondance Send a personal message to Moondance  Email Moondance Goto the website of Moondance     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Moondance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-22 7:56 pm   Permalink

Here are the finished photo's of the wiring process:

This what the center looks like with the aluminum wire ties

No work tomorrow and the weather will cooperate. Time to make the mortar.
Wes

View Profile of Moondance Send a personal message to Moondance  Email Moondance Goto the website of Moondance     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
capotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-23 08:41 am   Permalink

How close is the wire to the tube?You want some mud to be between the tube and the wire for best results.IF the wire is very tight on the tube the mortar might not want to stick.I normally use 2 layers of wire,the top being looser the inner wire.The wire is the frame that supports and strengthens the mortar.

View Profile of capotiki Send a personal message to capotiki  Email capotiki Goto the website of capotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
McTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-23 08:56 am   Permalink

There is a product I am using right now on the godforesaken waterfall I am eternally a slave to. Its diamond wire. It definately holds mud and comes in a version that is prebacked with paper so as to allow some of the mud between the wire and the substrate paper while keeping waste to an absolute minimum. It bends very nice and cuts skin very easily. Use gloves.

View Profile of McTiki Send a personal message to McTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Moondance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-23 09:33 am   Permalink

Capo-
It's pretty tight as you can see. In fact I tried to make as tight as possible. I'll go over it with chicken wire before I start. Thanks again for the guidance.
Wes

capotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-23 10:39 am   Permalink

Diamond wire is wicked stuff,I have some permanent damage from it,It holds the mortar great but the edge is just too sharp,one wrong move an your screwed. Your on your way to a great creation,something to Cherish forever.More wire and you are all set to start slinging some mud.capotiki

View Profile of capotiki Send a personal message to capotiki  Email capotiki Goto the website of capotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dancin' Lizard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-26 12:29 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-09-09 16:19, capotiki wrote:
I have a secret sauce that I texture the tiki with

Any chance of finding out what the super secret sauce is?

View Profile of Dancin' Lizard Send a personal message to Dancin' Lizard  Email Dancin' Lizard     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
capotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-26 3:09 pm   Permalink

somethings must remain a secret for now.patent pending.capotiki

Moondance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-27 7:19 pm   Permalink

Capo-
Should I all of the cement all at once or do layers?
How much should I mix up at first? One more, Should my mix be half sand and half portland?
Thanks in advance!
Wes

capotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-27 8:11 pm   Permalink

cover the entire piece with mortar,three parts sand to one part portland,you can go 4 to one,from my experience it makes little difference,the more sand the rougher texture you will end up with.The portland rises as you work the mortar.The most important part is the water added,keep it just wet enough to flow when applied.After you cover the unit finish off the parts with little detail,the back side
and so on.Then start building up the features.Your wire frame should speed up this part.Keep moving adding small layers.You will get a feel when the mortar has set enough to hold more bulk.Temperature and humidity will effect setting time.Do not concentrate too much on detail at first ,try to get the dimension you are after and then get the detail.Keep a paint brush and water handy,if the surface seems to dry brush with water,also after complete smooth entire piece the same way,maybe after setting for 30 to 40 minutes.If is a good idea to mist with water every 1/2 hour or so for 2 or three hours to slow down the drying process.If it drys too fast it could get surface cracks.capo

Moondance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-28 06:48 am   Permalink

Capo,
Thank you very much for all of your help.
Wes

capotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-28 08:27 am   Permalink

I am looking forward to seeing your finished work.I see bigger things ahead for you.If anyone wants to purchase statues I do have many on hand.http://WWW.motikis.com.my site is not up to date due to webmaster issues,the person who updates my site is missing in action.capotiki

Dancin' Lizard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-29 09:45 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-09-26 15:09, capotiki wrote:
somethings must remain a secret for now.patent pending.capotiki

Awwwww. Just a hint? Eye of newt, toe of frog...then what?

View Profile of Dancin' Lizard Send a personal message to Dancin' Lizard  Email Dancin' Lizard     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
capotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-29 12:15 pm   Permalink

I use 2 dry materials and 4 liquids to get the effect you see.It is a 3 step process.I came up with it thru a couple of years of experimentation,no animal byproducts,newts are a protected species around here.I am not much help am I?capo

Philot
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-29 12:48 pm   Permalink

Awsome work guys! Thanks for sharing. I'd been thinking about doing something like this, but didn't know if it would work.

Could one be designed like a Mexican chimenea pot, so it could breath fire from it's mouth and eyes? Would the Portland cement hold up to the heat? What if I mixed in some fire clay from the fire place store?

This may be what I needed to get motivated and build something!

View Profile of Philot Send a personal message to Philot      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation