FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums ╗ ╗ Locating Tiki ╗ ╗ Tiki Boyds, Denver, CO, Denver, CO (bar)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Tiki Boyds, Denver, CO, Denver, CO (bar)
MrBaliHai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-13 06:02 am   Permalink

Quote:

i heard that Tiki Boyd's is run by this guy who HATES homosexuals? Is this true?

I suspect you're referring to Boyd Rice, who contributed extensively to the decor and record collection, which is why the bar is named after him. He hangs out there occasionally, and serves in sort of a consulting role to the owners, but he doesn't run the joint.

Boyd is a pretty controversial figure. He's a self-admitted misanthrope, prankster, and chauvinist who likes to challenge groups that he perceives as having a political agenda. He is often accused of being a fascist, and he used to be a follower of Anton LeVay, founder of the Church of Satan.

It would probably be a good idea for you read this
interview on his website in which he discusses his opinions freely, and decide for yourself whether or not he's Hitler, Satan, or just some misunderstood attention-seeking crank, and if his presence at Tiki Boyd's would be a big enough turn-off to keep you away.

I found him pretty easy to chat with for the most part, but I deliberately chose to stick to topics of mutual interest like tiki, lounge music, the early punk scene in Southern California, The Holy Grail, and the influence of the occult on the counter-culture movements of the 60s.

[ This Message was edited by: MrBaliHai 2005-11-13 08:55 ]

View Profile of MrBaliHai Send a personal message to MrBaliHai  Goto the website of MrBaliHai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ZuluMagoo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-22 09:41 am   Permalink

I will be presenting two different tiki slideshows here in the bar on December 1st and December 15 documenting tiki history. See my other thread in Tiki Events for details.

View Profile of ZuluMagoo Send a personal message to ZuluMagoo  Email ZuluMagoo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2005-12-01 12:39 am   Permalink

Here's an excellent reason to visit Denver:

Local publications and pundits have long found pleasure in labeling Denver a Cow Town, an oversized burg with big-city pretensions but lacking the sophistication and culture to back it upů those decriers may have had a foot to stand on. But no more. Denver is now a real city. A full-fledged metropolis. And if you think I'm saying this because of the recently opened opera house, you couldn't be more wrong. I'm saying it because Denver finally has a Tiki barů Tiki Boyd's [is]ů a portal to another world, a better world, where the shackles of modern life can be traded for the trapping of savage sophistication. Where a man can drink rum from a pinapple, listen to Martin Denny and drift into Polynesian Paradise."

-- Frank K. Rich
Modern Drunkard Magazine, 10/1/05

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr. Dale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-01 4:06 pm   Permalink

To quote Mr. Samual Jackson, "I'm goin' man, I'm just f----n' goin"

[ This Message was edited by: Mr. Dale 2005-12-01 16:07 ]

View Profile of Mr. Dale Send a personal message to Mr. Dale  Email Mr. Dale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
naugatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-02 4:41 pm   Permalink

Looks like they're moving, that was quick.

From the tikiboyd's website-

Tiki Boyd's has moved! Yes, that's right folks, we're no longer located inside The Ramada Inn on East Colfax Avenue, or associated in any way with the East Coast Bar (E.C.B.) contained therein.

After our designer, Boyd Rice, converted the floundering, ill-conceived sports bar known as the E.C.B. into a Polynesian paradise (out of his own pocket), the management of that establishment enjoyed many months of prosperity, success and renown; but following irreconcilable differences between the E.C.B.'s management and the main movers and shakers behind Tiki Boyd's (designer Boyd Rice; head mixologist and bartender Lorin Partridge; bartender and webmaster Brian Clark; and the assorted Modern Drunkard Magazine liasons employed there), it was decided that Tiki Boyd's ought to be moved to greener pastures.

We have since pulled-out of the E.C.B. and left them to re-design their bar as they see fit. But fear not tiki enthusiasts - Tiki Boyd's will be back before you know it, in a new bigger, better, gr00vier location, with far more financial backing and much larger design budgets! If you thought Tiki Boyd's at E.C.B. was a happenin' locale, our new location will absolutely blow you away!

Until thenů Aloha!
- Tiki Boyds, L.L.C.

View Profile of naugatiki Send a personal message to naugatiki  Email naugatiki Goto the website of naugatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
poptiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-05 04:39 am   Permalink

That's probably a GOOD thing.

The first hand report I got was PBR's stacked high and horking on the bar. Not too cool.

The vinyl was right on though.

View Profile of poptiki Send a personal message to poptiki  Goto the website of poptiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MrBaliHai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-05 06:08 am   Permalink

The E.C.B. location had a lot of cool tiki history behind it, but since almost nothing remained of the original bar, nothing's really going to be lost by moving.

The clientele that wandered in from the Ramada while I was there left a lot to be desired as well; I certainly didn't appreciate the clueless bitching about the drinks and complaints that the music sucked. Hopefully, the new location will be standalone.

Weblog:
Eye of the Goof

View Profile of MrBaliHai Send a personal message to MrBaliHai  Goto the website of MrBaliHai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Fink
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-24 10:20 am   Permalink

It is a kind of blessing in disguise that Tiki Boyd's closed as early as it did. Quite frankly there was an overwhelmingly obvious limit to what could be done with the space at the E.C.B.@ the Ramada Inn. I would liken it to trying to decorate a modern hotel room to make it feel more homie. At the end of the day what you have is a Hotel room that looks like you decorated it to look more like an apartment. Simply put, dispite the best efforts of Boyd and his team, Tiki Boyd's looked more like a bland hotel bar decorated for a Tiki party. This is not to say that Boyd is not capable of creating something special, on the contrary, is is abundantly clear that to have done A+ job on E.C.B. would have cost a shitpile of tealeaves.

As a result of having made this first brave attempt it was discovered that there is indeed a market for Exotica in Denver which is comforting to know. The last attempt of creating a "Tiki" bar was a disaster called Tabu. This place had a truly ass kicking interior but they neglected the most important factor. THE CULTURE. Instead of Denny or Drasnin and the like, the music was nothing but techno. They even had adds done by Shag for Crissakes.

What Tiki Boyd's had in spades and will have again is the culture. I for one am glad that no more effort was wasted at the E.C.B. location. I have a feeling that when the right venue avails itself Tiki Boyd's will become the institution that is is destined to be. An A+++ Classic Tiki bar destination that people will travel to see.

For my part, I am still good for a bunch of cool tiki stuff when they get settled.

P.S. Dave Flomberg is still an idiot! Go MDM!!

Tiki Fink

View Profile of Tiki Fink Send a personal message to Tiki Fink  Email Tiki Fink     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Kevin

Posted: 2006-08-20 7:12 pm   Permalink

Any chance the new Tiki Boyd's will be open in September? I will be in Denver then and would love to check it out. Been a follower of Boyd's for many years, since his involvement with ReSearch, his faux Art Gallery opening and noise performances.

View Profile of Trader Kevin Send a personal message to Trader Kevin  Goto the website of Trader Kevin     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Eleio the fleet
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-21 08:53 am   Permalink

Latest word is that Boyd and his crew are pursuing other interests and that the tiki bar is on hold indefinitely. There's another tiki attempt in the works, The Hut, but they're not supposed to open till around October.

If you happen to be visiting during the weekend of September 16th, I'd like to encourage you to consider the Denver Ohana's Tiki Links mini-golf tournament. You can find the event listed in the "other" section of "events".

View Profile of Eleio the fleet Send a personal message to Eleio the fleet      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
progrocktv

Posted: 2007-10-24 8:23 pm   Permalink

Quote:

Local publications and pundits have long found pleasure in labeling Denver a Cow Town, an oversized burg with big-city pretensions but lacking the sophistication and culture to back it upů those decriers may have had a foot to stand on. But no more. Denver is now a real city. A full-fledged metropolis. And if you think I'm saying this because of the recently opened opera house, you couldn't be more wrong. I'm saying it because Denver finally has a Tiki barů

Denver *IS* a cow town! I just got back from San Francisco (had a GREAT time at the Tong Room) and after that I realize how the majority of this place is so under cultured it isn't even funny. All that's out here are sports bars. There isn't even a good place to dance anymore!

[ This Message was edited by: progrocktv 2007-10-24 20:23 ]

View Profile of progrocktv Send a personal message to progrocktv      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
gabbahey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-10 11:34 am   Permalink

Anyone have pictures of this place? I would really like some shots of of the bartenders (Melon, Lorin etc) because I am making my own Tiki Boyd's drink book. Miss this dive.

View Profile of gabbahey Send a personal message to gabbahey      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
gabbahey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-07 12:38 pm   Permalink

bump

View Profile of gabbahey Send a personal message to gabbahey      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation