FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events Other Events New England Tikiphile Events
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 Next Page )
New England Tikiphile Events
johnman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-26 09:12 am   Permalink

Hi all. Hope you had a great Thanksgiving.

Well I'm ready for some tiki tonight. I have a feeling this place won't be very tiki, but even a little will do nicely.

Pappy did you convince the wife to come out tonight? I'm sure she'd have a good time.

Bargoyle - are you able to make it? I can only drink so many representative drinks (already going to handle Granite's Mai Tai)

See you at the Ho Kong tonight!

View Profile of johnman Send a personal message to johnman  Goto the website of johnman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pappythesailor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-26 09:30 am   Permalink

Yep. Mrs. Pappy will be there with baby belly. Look forward to it! The Ho Kong can't be worse than the Makaha disaster so we're good.

View Profile of pappythesailor Send a personal message to pappythesailor  Goto the website of pappythesailor     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
johnman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-26 2:12 pm   Permalink

Well my ride is here. I'm on my way to the Ho Kong - c ya in a bit Pappy!

View Profile of johnman Send a personal message to johnman  Goto the website of johnman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikisgrl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-27 06:46 am   Permalink

I hope the Ho Kong trip was a success!!

I'm off on another scouting trip today to Leominster & Fitchburg to see what their Tiki places are like! Give you an update when I get back. I even have a camera now so if I can figure it out (ha ha) I will take a shot or two.

View Profile of Tikisgrl Send a personal message to Tikisgrl  Email Tikisgrl     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikisgrl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-27 4:14 pm   Permalink

Well cross Leominster & Fitchburg off the great Tiki Quest List :0( One is gone and the other is a Tiki take out!

At least you all have located some good ones!!! So far I keep finding the duds.

View Profile of Tikisgrl Send a personal message to Tikisgrl  Email Tikisgrl     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
johnman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-27 4:20 pm   Permalink

Ahh yes - the Ho Kong trip was a success. It pretty much lived up to the description here on TC. I'll be posting an detailed review on Locating Tiki later tonight or tomorrow. But in summary:
- Food: good (dishes were a little bland)
- Drinks: strength ok, authentic recipes - negative
- Atmosphere: the most tiki I've seen in RI. Matting on some walls, bamboo dividing rooms in some areas, thatch roofs here and there, very cool hanging lamps, tiki outside (above entrance), and two tikis in the bar. Definitely locals in the bar area - but no attitudes to be found.
- Service: Excellent - I don't hand that kind of rating out often but our server (her name escapes me) was very friendly and quick.

Basically if you're in RI and need a tiki fix, this is the place to go.

Pappy and Leah I hope you guys had a great time last night. Keith and I certainly did. Oh yeah, I grabbed a shot of the tikis in the bar and will post them later. Hope we didn't fill you with too much dread about your upcoming addition to the family. Kids really are fun to raise (right now mine are literally crawling up my back as I write this). Well back to being a responsible parent!

Aloha!
JohnMan

Bargoyle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-28 11:41 am   Permalink

Sounds like a nice joint. Post the pics when you get a sec johnman. Sorry i couldnt be there. I think the timexpo trip will be the next time I have the time, money, and energy to go anywhere.....

unless da wahine & I go to the outlet malls in Lee, Mass for XMas shopping....then we'll hit the Luau Hale.

Ugh, the "Holiday Season" has just started and I've had enough of it already!!

Bah Humbug!! heh heh

View Profile of Bargoyle Send a personal message to Bargoyle  Email Bargoyle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
johnman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-28 9:23 pm   Permalink

Hey Bargoyle - yeah it wasn't a bad place. Certainly worth my 30 minute drive. No rush on the timex trip man - just give us a shout when you're up to setting it up. And don't let the holidays wear you down. Just head to your private bar and travel to the South Pacific. That's what I'm going to do.

Tikisgrl let us know if your finds are worthy. And you're always welcome to come out with the group - Lowell isn't too far away:)

Pappy - I think you snapped some better pics than I did. Post em up man:) Oh yeah - after you left we hit the bar again. That's when I grabbed the pic of the back of the bar (tiki masks). The girl that waited on us asked us if we were out of town. I almost fell over - I'm a tourist in my own state (actually I was born in Woonsocket which makes it that much funnier). I explained the affliction and I think she got it.

Ok enough blabbing. I'll talk to everyone soon!

Pictures and review of Ho Kong are here:
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=8217&forum=2

pappythesailor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-29 06:20 am   Permalink

I added a couple pics in "Locating Tiki".

Dammit, I wanna go to the Timex Museum now! I think I'm also going to go to the Hu Ke Lau before baby comes. Who knows when I'll get out again afterwards????

Johnman, it was good to see you but next tiki event, I expect more people!

View Profile of pappythesailor Send a personal message to pappythesailor  Goto the website of pappythesailor     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pappythesailor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-29 06:48 am   Permalink

johnman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-29 10:09 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the pics Pappy. I'll use the one above as a guide in case I forget who I am.

I'd love to hit the Hu Ke Lau soon. The drum show sounds cool. That would definitely have to be a new year thing for me. Its time for the wallet to take the Christmas hit so it'll need time to recuperate.

The Granite Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-09 10:12 am   Permalink

I drove by Kowloon last night on my way to a gig at Polcari's, and I thought of all of you.

The snow is falling down heavily on the Granite Tiki Lounge right now!

I hope I can make the next event!

View Profile of The Granite Tiki Send a personal message to The Granite Tiki  Email The Granite Tiki Goto the website of The Granite Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rain
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-09 10:42 am   Permalink

wow, i HAVE been away too long (again). providence, RI, reporting for duty!

View Profile of Rain Send a personal message to Rain  Email Rain Goto the website of Rain     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
johnman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-10 11:25 am   Permalink

Hi Rain - welcome aboard. Checked out your site - great artwork! While there I noticed a poster for NonTiki at the Century Lounge. Is this an annual event? I'm there in March if it is.

Granite - Loving the snow eh? We got abot 6 inches dumped on the Krakatoa Room (a wanna-be tiki joint for now...). Got to leave work early too. You have to love that on a Friday:)

I'm totally itching to hit some kind of local tiki soon. The rest of this year is out so maybe we can start thinking about something mid to late January? Start off the year with a show at the Hu Ke Lau?

Well time to get back to the kids before my DVD player becomes a toaster.

Aloha!
JohnMan

Rain
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-11 05:47 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-12-10 11:25, johnman wrote:
poster for NokTiki at the Century Lounge.

well, that was the first time we did it, but we managed to throw two big tiki parties over the summer (not at the club) after that. i'm sure i can get them to do a NokTiki II - it was a pretty big success last time.

View Profile of Rain Send a personal message to Rain  Email Rain Goto the website of Rain     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation