[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Tiki Lamps
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Tiki Lamps
Kono
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-15 1:25 pm   Permalink

I've enjoyed the recent theme threads in Collecting Tiki such as the Treasure Craft thread and the ashtray thread among others, so in the same spirit I'd like to start a thread for everyone to share pics of their tiki lamps. Not so much for lamps that would lood good in a tiki bar (puffer, tapa, rattan, glass float) but for lamps that are actually made from tikis.

Electric lamps:

Don't know much about this one. The original base was destroyed so I rewired it with a wood base until something better comes along. Ceramic.

Bought this carved wood lamp on Oahu. I think it's fairly old based on the on/off switch (a toggle switch on the base).

Carved wooden lamp from New Zealand. The lamp shade came with it and is made of unprocessed wool.

Home made lamps:

Made these three meself. The one on the left is made from one of those tiki banks that Target was selling. The other two are made from the bottles that were sold at TJ Maxx and Marshall's. I'm planning on making one out of a Pisco bottle and out of one of those Hawaiian Open 1974 Jim Beam decanters. If I ever find another Tiki Toki decanter then I'll probably make one out of it as well.

Oil lamps:

Unmarked.

Unmarked.

Table centerpiece oil lamp from Trader Vics.

Large foam Moai oil lamp. Presumably for outdoor use. Says "Bill Hines Studio 2002" on the bottom.

Those are mine. I guess this is my contribution to the Savage Renewal deal. So...grab your camera and show us your tiki lamps!

View Profile of Kono Send a personal message to Kono  Email Kono Goto the website of Kono     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-15 1:51 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-09-15 13:25, Kono wrote:
Oil lamps:

Unmarked.

I have that same oil lamp, but it has no wick or shade. Do you have a picture with the original shade so I can look for one that'll work?

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kono
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-15 2:21 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-09-15 13:51, freddiefreelance wrote:
I have that same oil lamp, but it has no wick or shade. Do you have a picture with the original shade so I can look for one that'll work?

I don't have a shade, just the brass topper.

I just looked in Tiki Quest and they have the same oil lamp on the bottom of page 159 and no shade either.

That one is on the bottom of page 160 of Tiki Quest. Says its a Westwood design. Does that mean it's Westwood or a rip off? Dunno. Anyway, they have a shade on their's that I don't have.

View Profile of Kono Send a personal message to Kono  Email Kono Goto the website of Kono     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
I dream of tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-15 5:03 pm   Permalink

Brilliant electrical workings. Fabulous inspiration for the rest of us.

View Profile of I dream of tiki Send a personal message to I dream of tiki  Email I dream of tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
exotica59
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-15 5:37 pm   Permalink

What a nice collection! This is one area I have wanted to branch out into, but as of yet have not found anything in the wild and have lost out on eBay on the ones I like.
That is one of my hunting goals for this winter.
Thanks for sharing! Excellent thread!

View Profile of exotica59 Send a personal message to exotica59  Email exotica59     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
FreddieBallsomic
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-15 5:40 pm   Permalink

I also have the oil lamp and no shade. Mad props on the Maori lamp and the maori outrigger in the backround. Are those right from New Zealand??

View Profile of FreddieBallsomic Send a personal message to FreddieBallsomic      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ookoo lady
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-15 6:13 pm   Permalink

Glowing moai lamp, 19" tall. They sold these at Spencer Gifts last year.

View Profile of ookoo lady Send a personal message to ookoo lady      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Feelin' Zombified
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-15 7:04 pm   Permalink

This Kon Tiki lamp is discussed
HERE

-Z

View Profile of Feelin' Zombified Send a personal message to Feelin' Zombified  Email Feelin' Zombified     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
the drunken hat
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-15 7:14 pm   Permalink

here is our one and only tiki lamp:

it is a new guinea style tiki by tikitony. i believe his girlfriend did the shade. we purchased this at out first TC event at the 2004 SF tikicrawl.

View Profile of the drunken hat Send a personal message to the drunken hat  Email the drunken hat     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lake Surfer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-15 10:21 pm   Permalink

Some of the tiki lamps I make... hand carved ash...

View Profile of Lake Surfer Send a personal message to Lake Surfer      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kono
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-16 6:01 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-09-15 17:40, FreddieBallsomic wrote:
Mad props on the Maori lamp and the maori outrigger in the backround. Are those right from New Zealand??

Those are from ebay actually. Ebay of a year ago was a happy place where children played and sheep and goats ran free. I think I paid $16 for the lamp and I remember it was $101 for the canoe. What would they cost in today's vile and corrupt ebay world of $130 Tiki Bob mugs and auctions suspiciously ending early left and right? I shudder to think...

Great lamps everyone! FZ, I will always lust after that Kon Tiki lamp...

More lamps people!

ookoo lady
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-16 9:32 pm   Permalink

Check out this cool lamp that Filslash is selling on e-bay

View Profile of ookoo lady Send a personal message to ookoo lady      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TabooDan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-17 01:09 am   Permalink

I don't have alot of lamps but I do have a couple things to share.

This lamps base is made of old wooden floats that have been attached together with rope. It has a cedar wood shingle style shade which has a fish net over it. Pretty damn cool and as soon as I saw it in the local antique shop, I knew it would be perfect for my lounge.

Here are two oil lamps where the one on the right was shown earlier in this topic. I just wanted to show the other matching one. I am missing the oil lamp part but I don't think I'll have too much difficulty getting a replacement. These lamps were made by a Japanese company called Nasco. Below is a picture I got off ebay (I think) of one and it's original box.

The above picture is of a candle holder that when lit looks pretty cool. It has two different Tiki faces on each side. It has two initials scribed into the bottom so I believe this to be a home made piece.

Great topic!! Some of those lamps that have been shown make me drool all over my keyboard!! Thanks for looking!!

View Profile of TabooDan Send a personal message to TabooDan  Goto the website of TabooDan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MachTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-19 12:54 pm   Permalink

Here are a couple tiki lamps that my wife & I picked up.

This one we bought at the upstairs kiosk at the Bali Hai. It is VERY smart of them to put the kiosk right by the bar.
I've always thought that this one was very Disney looking. If anyone has info on the design/artist, I'd love to know more.

Oh, and that's a TikiTony original around his neck.

This one we bought when we were out shopping for some furniture one afternoon. We walked into this one store with a lot of higher-end stuff, so we did an immediate about-face when I spotted two of these sittiing on a bamboo bar hidden near the entryway. I quickly grabbed them and took 'em to the counter (they were very reasonably priced unlike everthing else in the store).

Both styles are cast and not carved.

View Profile of MachTiki Send a personal message to MachTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-21 5:47 pm   Permalink

I have the tiki head lamp:

http://www.after5catalog.com/details.aspx?ID=429&OVKEY=NXTG

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation