FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Martiki is a Trader Vic's Bartender!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Martiki is a Trader Vic's Bartender!
midnite
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-17 12:58 pm   Permalink

Martiki's got skills. Serious mixologist talent.

I've been to a bunch of Vic's, tried a whole lotta cocktails. Martin's semi-professional work from his home bar was as good, if not better, than most of the stuff I've been served at Vic's.

Seems like a perfect fit, and a real asset for SF Vic's. Now, I have to visit the place. Kudos MC, this news actually made me smile.

midnite

ps An added plus: no hairs in my Navy Grog!

View Profile of midnite Send a personal message to midnite      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
weirduncletiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-17 1:59 pm   Permalink

A treat indeed! Y'all should see the look on his face as he shakes up the drinks. All business, as in: This dude is serious! Never seen a bartender slap the mint before either(and no, that's not a euphemism). Having spent last Saturday hanging out with the man and not hearing a peep about this remarkable development, I was taken totally off guard. I was the first of the gang in the door last night (and thus the first to discover the secret. So, nyah nyah nyah, I'm so cool!) and as I approached the bar, the fellow on the other side greeted me with a friendly "Hi." I responded, "How ya doin'?," and kept walking. I truly did a major double take and spun around to confirm what was happening. What I figured to be an elaborate prank by our man, turned out to be a fine reality. Great going Martiki!

-Weird Unc

View Profile of weirduncletiki Send a personal message to weirduncletiki  Email weirduncletiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
the drunken hat
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-17 2:00 pm   Permalink

holy crap!! dude why would you keep this a secret? congrats and good luck! we'll have come out and see you there sometime soon!

View Profile of the drunken hat Send a personal message to the drunken hat  Email the drunken hat     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-17 3:19 pm   Permalink

Well, can you tell us the secret ingredients then?

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Selector Lopaka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-17 3:30 pm   Permalink

Nice! Puamana and I can't wait for our next San Francisco adventure. Congrats to you Martin!

View Profile of Selector Lopaka Send a personal message to Selector Lopaka  Email Selector Lopaka Goto the website of Selector Lopaka     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pablus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-17 4:05 pm   Permalink

The best part of this is that soon, all of the Trader Vics executives will know about martiki's skills and love of the "old ways" and knowledge of rums... and they will ask him to travel the world to teach all of their bartenders how to mix drinks... and Trader Vics will be on the cover of Forbes magazine as "the comeback company of the year" owing it to the bar being rejuvinated... and companies all over the world will emulate them... and all will be able to get great drinks all over the place and it will all be due to martiki.

I'm sure that's been his plan all along.

[ This Message was edited by: pablus 2006-08-11 12:28 ]

View Profile of pablus Send a personal message to pablus  Email pablus Goto the website of pablus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dogbytes
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2005-09-17 4:55 pm   Permalink

Martiki! great news on the new gig ~ we'll definitely look for you when we get out to SF...

hey, maybe you can talk the bossfolks into letting you come to seattle and train the TV bartenders~

elicia

View Profile of dogbytes Send a personal message to dogbytes  Email dogbytes Goto the website of dogbytes     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DawnTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-17 5:02 pm   Permalink

Good going Martiki, a BIG Congratulations!

View Profile of DawnTiki Send a personal message to DawnTiki  Email DawnTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Molokai Mike
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-17 8:14 pm   Permalink

Congrats Martiki,
Finally a bartender who doesn't stare blankly when the subject of Tiki culture and history is mentioned...If I'm not mistaken, you must be the first TCer to shake up the juice for the Vic. (Well, I'm sure you're the first Grand member to do so at least)
Maybe you could sub in Emeryville sometime...[Edited as Vic's people read this- but I know what you mean! - martiki]

[ This Message was edited by: martiki 2005-09-18 12:37 ]

View Profile of Molokai Mike Send a personal message to Molokai Mike  Email Molokai Mike Goto the website of Molokai Mike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Krustiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-17 8:29 pm   Permalink

Do they service Bears? Tiki Bares? Be careful not to pick up that dropped umbrella. He knows where you work

View Profile of Krustiki Send a personal message to Krustiki  Email Krustiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-17 8:30 pm   Permalink

You have joined the halls of Tiki Vallhalla. Where surely the drunk shall live forever. I knight you Sir Martiki, of Friscoshire. Liege of Sir Joel, of Atlantashire, and servant of King Victor. And now, for the Jigger Creed...... This is my jigger. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

My jigger is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life.

My jigger, without me, is useless. Without my jigger, I am useless. I must measure my jigger true. I must pour straighter than the competition who are trying to put me out of business. I must put him out of business before he puts me out of business. I WILL...

My jigger and myself know that what counts in this tiki bar is not the aloha shirt we wear, the noise of our Martin Denny, nor the hell we raise. We know that it is the drinks that count. WE WILL DRINK...

My jigger is human, even as I, because it is my life. Thus, I will learn it as a brother. I will learn its weaknesses, its strength, its measuring lines, its accessories, it's spout and it's capacity. I will ever guard it against the ravages of weather and damage as I will ever guard my legs, my arms, my eyes and my heart against damage. I will keep my jigger clean and ready. We will become part of each other. WE WILL...

Before God, I swear this creed. My jigger and myself are the defenders of my tiki bar. We are the masters of our competition. WE ARE THE SAVIORS OF POOR SCHMO'S EVERYWHERE WHO HAVE NEVER TASTED A GOOD DRINK.

So be it, until victory is Tiki's and there are no bad drinks, but pure, unadulterated tropical hedonism

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikivixen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-17 9:42 pm   Permalink

For once, I'm speechless. Holy crap, Martiki, I am SOSOSOSOSOSOSOSO
SO VERY HAPPY FOR YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But on a subtler note, you're owed an extra round of applause. I NEVER had the slightest CLUE what a talented actor you are until now!!! You Tiki Olivier you, I swear, we were completely fooled by your flawless "poor (sniffle) weary me, overworked and bored at (snuffle) dweadful BevMO, I can't even make it to a single (wah) party cuz I always hafta wooorrrkkk" jazz.

I nominate you for an Oscar, dear.

Can't wait to order my first Mai Tai from Martiki!

XOXOXOXOX tikivixen

View Profile of tikivixen Send a personal message to tikivixen      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikivixen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-17 9:45 pm   Permalink

p.s. That was a truly amazing post, BK. Especially tipsy...wow. I'm dazed here.

p.p.s. Pablus is right.

View Profile of tikivixen Send a personal message to tikivixen      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-17 9:55 pm   Permalink

You da woman, Vixen...

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Royale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-17 10:11 pm   Permalink

Well done Martin!
I look forward to ordering a drink from you soon.
Aloha,

View Profile of Tiki Royale Send a personal message to Tiki Royale  Email Tiki Royale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation