FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Events » » Other Events » » A Gathering of the Minnesota Ohana
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
A Gathering of the Minnesota Ohana
Scott McGerik
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-22 2:41 pm   Permalink

Just a quick reminder to let all know the Minnesota Ohana are meeting at Psycho Suzi's Motor Lounge at 6 PM today. I look forward to seeing everyone. I can be reached at 612 669-8856.

View Profile of Scott McGerik Send a personal message to Scott McGerik      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikimnky

Posted: 2007-09-23 05:16 am   Permalink

How was Psycho Suzi's? I was really looking forward to this outing, but as I am finding increasingly to be the case in the life of a new parent, I don't always get to do what I want to do with my evenings.

[ This Message was edited by: tikimnky 2007-09-23 05:16 ]

View Profile of tikimnky Send a personal message to tikimnky  Email tikimnky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Scott McGerik
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-23 06:53 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-09-23 05:16, tikimnky wrote:
How was Psycho Suzi's? I was really looking forward to this outing, but as I am finding increasingly to be the case in the life of a new parent, I don't always get to do what I want to do with my evenings.

I heard children will do that to you!

It was a good time. Four new people showed up for the event. The weather was perfect for sitting on the patio. It stayed comfortably warm even after dark.

Several of us had gone to Tiki Oasis 7 in San Diego, so we discussed that. We also discussed Varla and Quince_at_Dannys recent trip to Hawaii. We talked about La Esquina Del Tiki's annual hotrod BBQ he holds in his backyard in Bloomington. There was a small world event when two of the new people and one of the regulars discovered they knew each other. There was also discussion about going as a group to Hukilau next June.

I'll be putting out a call for another gathering some time next month. It would be great if you could make it.

View Profile of Scott McGerik Send a personal message to Scott McGerik      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr. Ho
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-24 09:36 am   Permalink

Okonkuluku folks on TC!

Mr. Ho going to be in Minneapolis this weekend - is psycho suzi's all there is to see for tiki? Exotica? drinkos? I am coming out to see some of the nordic roots festival and hang. never been!

mahalo!
http://orchestrotica.com/ ••• New album Nov. 2013

View Profile of Mr. Ho Send a personal message to Mr. Ho  Email Mr. Ho Goto the website of Mr. Ho     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Scott McGerik
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-24 10:07 am   Permalink

Quote:

Mr. Ho wrote:
Mr. Ho going to be in Minneapolis this weekend - is psycho suzi's all there is to see for tiki? Exotica? drinkos? I am coming out to see some of the nordic roots festival and hang. never been!

Psycho Suzi's is our only remaining Tiki bar. Look above to see my
response to Dr. Shocker for info about Psycho Suzi's.

David Fong's is an old-school Cantonese restaurant with decent cocktails. Several years ago, Quince_at_Danny's had this to say about David Fong's:
Quote:
Next time you're in the Twin Cities, check out David Fong's in Bloomington. No tiki eye candy to be had, but it has a nice red vinyl/vintage cantonese chop suey joint feel to it, and they still serve up some good grub and classic drinks (Mai Tai, Zombie, Puka Puka, Rum Swizzle, etc.. ) Inexplicably, the drinks are great even though they use bottled sweet and sour mix, maraschino cherry juice, cheap rum and little to no fresh juice. I could make a better drink with really good ingredients, but I could never match what they do using what they use... That's alchemy!

You can also find decent cocktails and good Thai food at King and I Thai in Minneapolis.

For retro lounge, I would recommend Nye's Polonaise Room and Mancini's Char House and Lounge.

When will you be in town? I might have time to meet up with you on Friday evening and Sunday. I'm unavailable on Saturday.

I'll send a note to some of the other Tiki people in the Twin Cities. Maybe they will chime in with suggestions.

I, Zombie
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-24 11:45 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-09-24 09:36, Mr. Ho wrote:
Okonkuluku folks on TC!

mahalo!

Excellent. Nordic Roots is supposed to be terrific. Haven't been myself, but the reports have always been positive, so should be a good event. David Fong's, if you'r willing to risk the Fong Fever, might be the ticket. Look forward to seeing you.

~glen

View Profile of I, Zombie Send a personal message to I, Zombie  Email I, Zombie Goto the website of I, Zombie     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr. Ho
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-24 4:27 pm   Permalink

maybe we can get a hang together. Fong's eh? man, would they let me work the bar? no fresh juices? fakey syrups? come on minnesota ohana - send in those complaint sheets and petition for high quality Approved cocktails! thanks for the other recs - the mancini's looks awesome too. thai place interesting although low quotient of rum cocktails, my particular fave...

haha. so, maybe thurs or friday we can do a hang. flying back sunday afternoon. gotta check my schedule with my travel partner...

mr ho

View Profile of Mr. Ho Send a personal message to Mr. Ho  Email Mr. Ho Goto the website of Mr. Ho     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
I, Zombie
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-24 7:45 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-09-24 16:27, Mr. Ho wrote:
maybe we can get a hang together. Fong's eh? man, would they let me work the bar? no fresh juices? fakey syrups? come on minnesota ohana - send in those complaint sheets and petition for high quality Approved cocktails!

Yeah, let's do it. Thursday or Friday is cool with me, though Friday is better for the working stiffs. Looks like we can round up a small group to meet ya out.

Drink-wise David Fong's is on par with Bali Hai in Lynnfield and/or South Pacific in Newton (sans cool huts and murals) -- none of which have seen a fresh lime in like two decades!

I sat at the bar at Bali Hai one night with Quince_at_Danny's and we were frightened by the jugs of who-knows-what we saw the bartender working with! David Fong's can be frightening like that. But like Bali Hai, the magic happens more often then it doesn't happen.

Azia is another place that makes high end cocktails. Pricey, but very well made. Mancini's is great for Manhattans, Martinis, and steak bread. Let's see what Quince thinks. Quince?

[ This Message was edited by: I, Zombie 2007-09-24 19:52 ]

View Profile of I, Zombie Send a personal message to I, Zombie  Email I, Zombie Goto the website of I, Zombie     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Quince_at_Dannys
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-24 8:43 pm   Permalink

Fresh juices, quality syrups? Your best bet for good drinks that fit the bill is the home bar action. I, Zombie mixes up some pretty mean potions and I'm no slouch myself. I'd definitely be up for serving up some authentic Barrels O Rum, Mai Tais, Samoan Typhoons, Navy Grogs and a few of our originals!

View Profile of Quince_at_Dannys Send a personal message to Quince_at_Dannys      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
I, Zombie
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-25 07:44 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-09-24 20:43, Quince_at_Dannys wrote:
Fresh juices, quality syrups? Your best bet for good drinks that fit the bill is the home bar action. I, Zombie mixes up some pretty mean potions and I'm no slouch myself. I'd definitely be up for serving up some authentic Barrels O Rum, Mai Tais, Samoan Typhoons, Navy Grogs and a few of our originals!

Quince,

Sounds great to me. I like the home bar idea. Mr. Ho, you up for a home-bar stop? How 'bout the rest of the MN Ohana? We could swap some mixology tips as well as be assured of superior cocktails. Let me know and I'll work out details with Quince.

Now we just have to work on Ted to open up his amazing Shag abode for an evening of happy-happy...

Mr. Ho
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-25 07:53 am   Permalink

oh that sounds great! i would be totally into the home bar thing. friday is good for me and hannah...best actually since thursday has a show we want to see for the fest. is mancini's food good? i love the pics etc - it reminds me of what you might see people eating at on that new amc show "mad men." im not a big martini drinker (everyone else is!) so is the food worth it? totally down with paying for high quality cocktails so send a link for that other place you mentioned Zombie...

oh yea, if you all have chambourd in stock, we can make you some of the brand new Okonkulukoolers - the official drink of WAITIKI as created by Beach Bum Berry. Does the tiki bar come with exotica music?

We're renting a car so we could drive somewhere...anything tiki enough in say a ....2-3000mi radius should be ok.

Scottes
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-25 08:23 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-09-25 07:53, Mr. Ho wrote:
oh yea, if you all have chambourd in stock, we can make you some of the brand new Okonkulukoolers - the official drink of WAITIKI as created by Beach Bum Berry.

Okonkulukoolers??

Recipe??

Yum!!

View Profile of Scottes Send a personal message to Scottes  Goto the website of Scottes     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
I, Zombie
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-25 1:43 pm   Permalink

Excellent! Home bar it is. We'll post more details as we get them.

Quote:

On 2007-09-25 07:53, Mr. Ho wrote:

totally down with paying for high quality cocktails so send a link for that other place you mentioned Zombie...

Here you go, HO:
http://www.aziarestaurant.com/catepillar.htm

Mr. Ho
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-25 2:14 pm   Permalink

i dont get notified when posts are replied here so if somebody wants to send me a coconut mail at brian@waitiki.com moving forward with details that would be great. ZOmbie probably has my number too already (mobile).

ho

ted tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-26 08:05 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-09-25 14:14, Mr. Ho wrote:
i dont get notified when posts are replied here so if somebody wants to send me a coconut mail at brian@waitiki.com moving forward with details that would be great. ZOmbie probably has my number too already (mobile).

ho

Hi there Mr. Ho, I will be hosting Friday night and Zombie will be getting in touch with you soon enough with details. My pad is small, but there will be top notch drinks-that I can promise-I won't be making them, but they will be good. If people want to get out eventually Friday night, I know of a big bash at the Vegas Lounge in NE Mpls. I think it would be a hoot if I brought a big group to it. Looking forward to meeting you.
Ted Tiki

View Profile of ted tiki Send a personal message to ted tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation