FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Damn! Got out-sniped again!
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Damn! Got out-sniped again!
PolynesianPop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-11-12 2:24 pm   Permalink

Saw this set of Westpac mugs on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=732486791&rd=1

Thought there was only 3 different types in the set - I guess there's actually 4!

Poly-Pop *

Bartender, make mine a glass of WATAHHH!!!!!

View Profile of PolynesianPop Send a personal message to PolynesianPop  Email PolynesianPop Goto the website of PolynesianPop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
midnite
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-11-12 2:31 pm   Permalink

"Live by the snipe, die by the..."

Those mugs are pretty nice, but I waved from the dock as it left the $20 level. What I wanted was that "Hawaiian Village" mug Gecko just won yesterday. Another one will come along, they always do.

Looks like Marty added some more to his already huge collection. I simply haven't the space! Still, midnite frowns upon electronic means employed for sniping. Not sporting.

Ebay should extend the auctions automatically until 2 minutes transpire without a bid. Ebay should also change the feedback system so it's worthwhile and relevant.

Oh, and there should be root beer in the drinking fountains.

midnite

View Profile of midnite Send a personal message to midnite      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PolynesianPop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-11-12 2:46 pm   Permalink

Poly-Pop *

Bartender, make mine a glass of WATAHHH!!!!!

[ This Message was edited by: PolynesianPop 2013-02-05 10:12 ]

View Profile of PolynesianPop Send a personal message to PolynesianPop  Email PolynesianPop Goto the website of PolynesianPop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
midnite
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-11-12 2:53 pm   Permalink

Pop,
You are unaware of Esnipe?

http://www.esnipe.com/

Ebay should allow auctions to be extended for a minute after the last bid. It's a fundamental flaw of Ebay, but it makes them money. I shall not be awaiting for them to change the process.

midnite

View Profile of midnite Send a personal message to midnite      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KokomoTikiBar&Grill
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-11-12 3:14 pm   Permalink

My name is Donald and I am a SNIPER also. Many times I have tried to avoid it, but it keeps calling out my name "DONALD Snipe someones auction, SNIPE THEM NOW!" and I cant help myself. I am on my 12 steps to recovery now. #1 was to admit I snipe! I am a dirty no good for nothing bastard!

View Profile of KokomoTikiBar&Grill Send a personal message to KokomoTikiBar&Grill      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KokomoTikiBar&Grill
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-11-12 3:18 pm   Permalink

Oh, I forgot my new signature on the last post.

What if the Moai Listened to the Sex Pistols?

[ This Message was edited by: KokomoTikiBar&Grill on 2002-11-12 15:27 ]

View Profile of KokomoTikiBar&Grill Send a personal message to KokomoTikiBar&Grill      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PolynesianPop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-11-12 3:27 pm   Permalink

Quote:
Pop, You are unaware of Esnipe?

Ummm...kind of. I am aware of sniping software, I just don't use it. I'm so spontaneous with my collection sometimes I'll put in an early bid only to decide I no longer want the item later. That's why most of the time I wait until the end. If I still really want it, I'll bid on it then. Saves me a little $$$ - not to mention keeping the auction price on an item low.

* * * The Polynesian Popster * * *

[ This Message was edited by: PolynesianPop on 2002-11-12 15:36 ]

[ This Message was edited by: PolynesianPop 2013-02-05 10:13 ]

Trader Woody
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-11-12 3:45 pm   Permalink

I must chime in and say the old Westpac mugs are pretty foul-looking! While I realise that they are a little tricky to get hold of, they remind me of those rubber balls shaped like monsters that used to be popular in the 80's.

Does anyone like them for their aesthetic rather than rarity value?

Trader Woody

View Profile of Trader Woody Send a personal message to Trader Woody  Email Trader Woody     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigreg
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-11-12 7:53 pm   Permalink

Quote:

Being a regular to eBay, I thought he was an avid competitor like the rest of us - now I know he's just a cheater.

In all fairness to edgeoftexas, if you check the bid history on the item, he placed his bid four seconds before PolynesianPop did. So he can't really be accused of sniping in this case.

[ This Message was edited by: tikigreg on 2002-11-12 20:05 ]

View Profile of tikigreg Send a personal message to tikigreg      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
stentiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-11-12 8:25 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2002-11-12 14:53, midnite_tiki wrote:
Pop,
You are unaware of Esnipe?

http://www.esnipe.com/
midnite

Wow, Midnight!

I had no idea about this sniping thing (can't read all the posts, I guess).

I feel for you, Popster. Like the rest of us, I yearn for all those great rare mugs that I fear I will never possess. But I will say that I made a great trade with Midnight sometime ago and I think we should continue to encourage trading -- especially here where we all lust for many of the same mugs. I just made a great trade this past weekend and I hope to continue this ritual (of the suburban savage) with those that would partake.

I've been watching edgeoftexas for sometime now and I am tiki green with envy. All I can say is that I'd like too see his collection!

Uncle Arty

"I do not shun adventure if it comes my way"

- Thor Heyerdahl

[ This Message was edited by: stentiki on 2002-11-12 20:28 ]

View Profile of stentiki Send a personal message to stentiki  Email stentiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
midnite
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-11-12 8:40 pm   Permalink

But I will say that I made a great trade with Midnight sometime ago and I think we should continue to encourage trading --

Uncle Artry,
Hiya! Yes, that was the best trade. My "Aloha Hut" mug is just about my fave mug, at least top 3.

"I just made a great trade this past weekend and I hope to continue this ritual (of the suburban savage) with those that would partake."

Agree. Just traded with TikiHula for one of my Kelvin's mugs. I wish we could do more mug/item trading here on TC. I do sell a lot more outside of ebay, I am too impatient at times to wait for that week to end. Plus, no one bids until the last day...that drives me crazy!

"I've been watching edgeoftexas for sometime now and I am tiki green with envy. All I can say is that I'd like too see his collection!"

Marty does have a great collection, he overbids me on enough things, that's for sure. He's a first-rate Tiki collector. I bet he doesn't have an "Aloha Hut" mug...nahh, he probably does.

Happy hunting,
midnite

stentiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-11-12 8:51 pm   Permalink

Hey Midnite,

Call me crazy but when I first saw edgeoftexas out there he was collecting very basic stuff like Orchids of Hawaii and common Otagiri. In the past few months I have seen his tiki obsession grow with him dropping a shitload of money on rare items -- far more mula than most of us can keep up with (he is currently bidding on Trader Pup's Don the Beachcomber mug -- I feel a snipe approaching!).

This may sound petty but I hope he doesn't have Aloha Hut! Gives us one up on him!!!

By the way, I traded the my last Aloha Hut duplicate along with a number of mugs for something very special. I will post as soon as I can muster a picture!

Uncle Arty

"I do not shun adventure if it comes my way"

- Thor Heyerdahl

[ This Message was edited by: stentiki on 2002-11-12 20:52 ]

[ This Message was edited by: stentiki on 2002-11-12 20:59 ]

View Profile of stentiki Send a personal message to stentiki  Email stentiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SugarCaddyDaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-11-12 9:06 pm   Permalink

Quote:

stentiki wrote:
In the past few months I have seen his tiki obsession grow with him dropping a shitload of money on rare items...

I've always wondered....is a shitload more or less than a truckload?...

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

SugarCaddyDaddy

View Profile of SugarCaddyDaddy Send a personal message to SugarCaddyDaddy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikifish
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-11-12 9:09 pm   Permalink

Edgeoftexas is registered on the board, and was the one who was the main conspirator in the great Mauna Loa 'Buy It Now' tragedy of 2002.

He's watching us. All of us.

The crow flies at midnight.

View Profile of tikifish Send a personal message to tikifish  Email tikifish Goto the website of tikifish     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-11-13 12:48 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2002-11-12 21:09, tikifish wrote:
He's watching us. All of us.

creeeeeeeepyyy....

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation