FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Kon-Tiki Raft Voyage to be Re-Created!
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Kon-Tiki Raft Voyage to be Re-Created!
pappythesailor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-28 02:45 am   Permalink

Kon-Tiki Raft Voyage to Be Re-Created

By DOUG MELLGREN, Associated Press Writer Tue Sep 27, 8:43 AM ET

OSLO, Norway - An effort to recreate the late Thor Heyerdahl's famed 101-day Pacific crossing aboard the Kon-Tiki balsa raft resumed Tuesday after a postponement forced by last year's southern Asia tsunami.

The team, which includes the Norwegian adventurer's grandson, Olav Heyerdahl, plans to sail from Peru in late April, a year later than originally scheduled.

"It is very good. It is fun. And now the financing is in place," the 28-year-old Heyerdahl said of the $900,000 project.

After the Dec. 26, 2004, tsunami that killed thousands in southern Asia, the team postponed the project for a year because key sponsors had diverted funds to help victims.

In 1947, Thor Heyerdahl's team sailed a raft 4,900 miles from Peru to Polynesia to show that prehistoric explorers could have migrated across vast oceans. Heyerdahl, who died in 2002 at age 87, documented the harrowing voyage in a best-selling book and Oscar-winning documentary, both called "Kon-Tiki."

Outside the Kon-Tiki museum in Oslo, some of the team arrived aboard a half-scale model they built of the original raft, sailing part of the way. Young school children lined the wharf.

The team has introduced a program of building model rafts in schools as part of the educational dimension of their project.

"We wanted to make raft building a school subject and we did it," said team leader Torgeir Saeverud Higraff, a 32-year-old teacher and journalist.

On shore, the adventure's grandson said he had discussed it with the family before deciding to be the second Heyerdahl to set off a balsa raft, this time to be named for Tangaroa, the Polynesian god of the ocean.

"As long as it was a serious project, they were in favor," the younger Heyerdahl told The Associated Press. "If they had been negative, I would have said 'no.'"

Heyerdahl, a building engineer, carpenter and diver, will head to Ecuador in January to select balsa logs, and lead the construction of the raft in Peru.

The project is endorsed by the Kon-Tiki Museum, and is backed by the Norwegian Environment Ministry, private businesses and Heyerdahl's home town of Larvik, in southern Norway.

In addition to honoring Heyerdahl, the team wants their own 101-day voyage to draw attention to environmental threats, do scientific research, test ancient navigational techniques and be an educational tool.

Although the Tangaroa will be primitive as the Kon-Tiki, it will also be loaded with modern technology, including solar panels for electricity, and satellite communications that will allow the team to transmit Internet updates.

The six-member team will include four Norwegians, a Swede and a Peruvian, who has yet to be selected.

View Profile of pappythesailor Send a personal message to pappythesailor  Goto the website of pappythesailor     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
johnman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-28 10:12 am   Permalink

Think this could be an IMAX movie? Seems like a prime candidate!

View Profile of johnman Send a personal message to johnman  Goto the website of johnman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pablus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-28 12:33 pm   Permalink

I wonder if they need a bartender/musical type guy?

View Profile of pablus Send a personal message to pablus  Email pablus Goto the website of pablus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pappythesailor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-28 12:40 pm   Permalink

Me first. Just by accident, my wife's best friend's husband was Olav Heyerdahl's room-mate in college. Maybe he can put in a good word for me. I can pass for a pale Peruvian.

View Profile of pappythesailor Send a personal message to pappythesailor  Goto the website of pappythesailor     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-28 4:45 pm   Permalink

Cool! But where they gonna get the balsa? They had enough trouble last time didnt they? Looking forward to hearing more about it.

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PapeToaTane
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-28 4:56 pm   Permalink

I want to be there for the Christening! Is it more proper to smash a bottle of Meyers on the bow rather than champagne?

View Profile of PapeToaTane Send a personal message to PapeToaTane  Email PapeToaTane Goto the website of PapeToaTane     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-28 4:57 pm   Permalink

DAMN, he beat me to it. I wanted to do this. But I would only do it in a bubble.

This is soo cool. Can't wait to hear more.

View Profile of Jungle Trader Send a personal message to Jungle Trader  Goto the website of Jungle Trader     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kong-Tiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-09-29 03:51 am   Permalink

Some pictures from yesterdays event in the Oslo harbor taken from the official web site. The model is being sailed from the dock outside the Town Hall and to the Museum where it is going to be on display.

View Profile of Kong-Tiki Send a personal message to Kong-Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikitony
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-29 3:00 pm   Permalink

Adrift Clothing is an unofficial sponser of "Tangaora" Marcus has been in contact with the voyage's leader. They did eventually find the balsa logs, but it did take them much longer than they had thought. The Adrift team is going to head down there for the launching, then head to Easter Island from Chile.
http://www.adriftclothing.com
http://www.adriftclothing.com/adrift2/ new catalog

Live like a Beachcomber! www.TikiTony.com www.facebook.com/tikitonybeachcomber

View Profile of tikitony Send a personal message to tikitony  Email tikitony Goto the website of tikitony     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-29 8:32 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-09-29 15:00, tikitony wrote:

The Adrift team is going to head down there for the launching, then head to Easter Island from Chile.

Excellent!

As a launching will occur, it promises to be even more authentic than Thor's original.

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Fez Ape
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-30 11:42 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-09-28 12:33, pablus wrote:

I wonder if they need a bartender/musical type guy?

I think a petition should be started to have Pablus placed with them as the official spokesperson for all tiki fans.

View Profile of Fez Ape Send a personal message to Fez Ape      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-10 6:05 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-09-28 02:45, pappythesailor wrote:
Kon-Tiki Raft Voyage to Be Re-Created

By DOUG MELLGREN, Associated Press Writer Tue Sep 27, 8:43 AM ET

OSLO, Norway - An effort to recreate the late Thor Heyerdahl's famed 101-day Pacific crossing aboard the Kon-Tiki balsa raft resumed Tuesday after a postponement forced by last year's southern Asia tsunami.
. . .

In addition to honoring Heyerdahl, the team wants their own 101-day voyage to draw attention to environmental threats, do scientific research, test ancient navigational techniques and be an educational tool.

Although the Tangaroa will be primitive as the Kon-Tiki, it will also be loaded with modern technology, including solar panels for electricity, and satellite communications that will allow the team to transmit Internet updates.

Although I know that the Team will attempt to keep it real, it would seem that they would be able to substantially reduce the 101 day travel time.

After all, they know where they are going and have maps, GPS, etc to get there.

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pappythesailor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-11 02:54 am   Permalink

I dunno--Thor and company had maps and a good astral navigator. On a raft, you're almost 100% at the mercy of the wind and currents. Unless the new raft has a motor, I think this is the same voyage with the same dangers.

hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-11 07:28 am   Permalink

Still a big bit of water and a little raft, motor or no. Your fancy plastic boats loaded with technology sink in the oceans, a balsa raft strapped together aint endearing me much confidence. As much as I think its cool, I dont think you could pay me to do it. Im a land lubber me thinks.

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bargoyle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-13 11:07 am   Permalink

I'm with you Hewey...I get sea sick on the Flume Ride at 6 Flags.

I think its pretty cool that they're recreating the voyage, but electricity?? Internet Blog updates??? GPS???

I guess I shouldn't be one to throw stones, seeing as how I wouldnt get on it if it were the size of an aircraft carrier and sealed in a climate controled bubble...but still...

View Profile of Bargoyle Send a personal message to Bargoyle  Email Bargoyle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation