FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Bamboo Ben Masterpiece
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
Bamboo Ben Masterpiece
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-29 2:08 pm   Permalink

I've spent a lot of time looking into flicker control boxes, and was leaning towards building my own. That price is very good, especially when you consider that each box gives you three independent channels of "flicker." I've spent a lot of time looking at the flicker effects at Disneyland, and while it's well done nearly everywhere, I've seen a few cases where they've strung a bunch of lights into a single control, which gives a strange throbbing effect as they all flicker in unison. Thanks for the great tip.

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
stentiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-29 2:34 pm   Permalink

Awesome tiki hut! Congrats Tiki Lee and props to Bamboo Ben. Love that tapa and outrigger carving. Ben's da man!

Arty

View Profile of stentiki Send a personal message to stentiki  Email stentiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikitony
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-29 4:08 pm   Permalink

WHOOOA. The richness of that hand twined bamboo ceiling, and the natural thatched "roof" underneith the bamboo slats are freakin amazing. The carved tapa panels are so hitmotizing all lined up. Nice orchestration of the materials. It looks like an elaborate Polynesian hut for a great Chief. A full on walk-in installation. Nice work Bamboo Ben and congrats Tiki Lee.

Live like a Beachcomber!
www.TikiTony.com www.facebook.com/tikitonybeachcomber

View Profile of tikitony Send a personal message to tikitony  Email tikitony Goto the website of tikitony     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Polynesiac
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-29 7:16 pm   Permalink

HOLY SHIT, ben, you do some damn fine work. I've not seen any of your installations until these fine photos. I'm FLOORED. Not just a kick ass bar man....

lee - you are one lucky dude to have a custom BB and I really thank you for sharing with the rest of us. I can't wait to see the crazy al tiki in there...it's gonna be awesome!

OMG! I'm on Instagram!

View Profile of Polynesiac Send a personal message to Polynesiac  Email Polynesiac Goto the website of Polynesiac     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pablus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-29 7:42 pm   Permalink

Astounding.
BB - all I can mutter is an awed arrrrrrrrrrrrr.

View Profile of pablus Send a personal message to pablus  Email pablus Goto the website of pablus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-29 7:46 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-09-29 13:39, Tiki Lee wrote:
Add to that some incredible Papua New Guinea masks, figures and spears,

p.s. Tiki Lee forgot to mention that the above masks, etc. are the "real tiki deal" and he hand picked them out/up from the Trader Vics warehouse in Oakland.

Glad you're all diggin' the room.

Arrrrrrrrrrr!!!

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Lee
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-09-29 8:16 pm   Permalink

Yes, I did neglect to mention that I got some amazing things from the Trader Vic's stash. I added five photos to the gallery of some of the masks and spears. After we finish the shell of the room, and we see what we have to work with, we'll probably head back and pick up a few more things.

http://tiki.unkrich.com/tiki_hideaway/index.html

[ This Message was edited by: Tiki Lee 2005-09-29 20:17 ]

View Profile of Tiki Lee Send a personal message to Tiki Lee      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-29 9:22 pm   Permalink

Just a Minor Oversite, but we'll forgive you. I believe everyone is still in shock and you could get away with more yet.
Just Beautiful.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
stuff-o-rama
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-29 11:18 pm   Permalink

All I can say is Luckee!

View Profile of stuff-o-rama Send a personal message to stuff-o-rama  Goto the website of stuff-o-rama     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kirby
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-30 12:30 am   Permalink

Bamboo ben is the greatest tiki cunstucter in the world...

View Profile of kirby Send a personal message to kirby  Email kirby Goto the website of kirby     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bongofury
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2005-09-30 08:58 am   Permalink

Very nice Tiki Lee.......Bamboo Ben does some great stuff!

View Profile of bongofury Send a personal message to bongofury  Email bongofury     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rob Roy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-30 10:06 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-09-29 19:46, RevBambooBen wrote:
p.s. Tiki Lee forgot to mention that the above masks, etc. are the "real tiki deal" and he hand picked them out/up from the Trader Vics warehouse in Oakland.

Is the TV warehoure in Oakland open for the public or do you need to know sombody to buy items from there?

[ This Message was edited by: Rob Roy 2005-09-30 10:07 ]

View Profile of Rob Roy Send a personal message to Rob Roy  Email Rob Roy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Lee
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-09-30 10:36 am   Permalink

Unfortunately, you gotta know someone. Or know someone who knows someone, which in my case was Ben.

Which is why I didn't mention the TV stash in the first place, but since Ben mentioned it, what the hell...

It's actually not as dramatic as what you might be envisioning. I had been envisioning something along the lines of the end of Raiders of the Lost Ark, but it's actually just a back room full of shelves in the rear of an Asian antique business. Apparently the turnover is so high with stuff coming in and then going right back out to new TV's that they don't need much stoarge.

View Profile of Tiki Lee Send a personal message to Tiki Lee      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DawnTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-30 11:05 am   Permalink

Consider my timbers shivered! Arrrrr-mazing!

View Profile of DawnTiki Send a personal message to DawnTiki  Email DawnTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikinoobie
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-09-30 11:54 am   Permalink

Is the man in those pictures the man who makes the Bamboo Ben tiki things? My mom and I went by the Bamboo Ben store but they weren't open. I wondered if the man who is working is from that store. Maybe that is why the store was closed. It looks like he needs some help when he is on the ladder. It is very pretty with all those decorations. That seems like a lot of work, but it is really neat with all the shapes and the things that look like they are carved with a knife.

View Profile of tikinoobie Send a personal message to tikinoobie      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation