FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events Other Events hukilau was fantastic.
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
hukilau was fantastic.
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-09 1:52 pm   Permalink

Just returned home from Hukilau and it was great. Great Music.
Great Art. Great People. Did I say great Music?? To die for. The Mai Kai put on a Special Show for Hukilau that was just Unbelievable. They went Far Above and beyond their normal Great show. The dancers were totally worn out after the first show and with the audience pushing them into a frenzy they responded with unbelievable power. They were great.
I met many TC'rs there who I hven't seen before and many that I saw last year. I can't remember everyones name, even my own, but I can say that if Any of you want a really Great time, DON'T MISS next years Hukilau with the MaiKai's 50th Anniversary celebration. It promises to be the event of the decade. We will rock the house away.
Thanks Tiki_kiliki and All else who helped make This years Hukilau such a Smashing Success. Thank you, Thank You Thank You.
HappyHappyHappy.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
McTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-09 2:10 pm   Permalink

Mucho Kuddos to Tiki Kiliki and all who were intragal to gettin this wrapped up into what it was. Simply Amazing!

Some snaps from what Ben was talking about. In the Gardens alone, I took pics of every Tiki and Blossom and Wall covering. Wow!

Mahalo Ohana

View Profile of McTiki Send a personal message to McTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pablus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-09 3:52 pm   Permalink

It was great to see all of the familiar ohana again and meet some new ones.

I'm still reeling from the Waitiki Denny tribute late last night. We finally evacuated the Mai Kai at 2:30 and hit the party at Unga Bunga's groovy pad.

I left there at 4:30 and the place was still swinging with the Haole Kats and King Kukulele and a couple of guys from Waitiki.

Awesome to hit the beach (not much surf yesterday) and strum a few tunes under the shade of the CocoPalms. Again last night in the Mai Kai gardens I sat there alone next to the big Barney West Tiki and strummed for an hour or so.

The Haole Kats are some of the best people I've ever met. And their music needs to be in every tiki bar in the world.

I got me a Lake Surfer Lono Tiki. I'll post pics in a few days/weeks when I get a chance to upgrade the Lagoon yet again.

The Mai Kai is the center of the universe.
Everything is done to perfection.

Nice touch by Basement Kahuna to give the gracious and lovely owner of the Mai Kai a hand carved Tiki that you can check out in Creating Tiki.

Thanks to all of the organizers and behind the scenes people who made it happen.

Oh and one more thing;
I've been imortalized in comic form in Tikilicious's Hukilau Coloring Book. What a gas that thing is.

More maholos later - pabby sleepy...zzzzzzzzzzzz.

p.s. - missed Al, Dr. Z and Danny this year along with Flounder, Kailuageoff and Jungle Trader. Others too - Jochen, you were missed braddah. And some other guy who drank Budweiser all the time last year - what was his name again? Reverend something or other.
Reedcloth Jimmy? Poplar Pete? I forget.

ARRRRRRRRRRRR!

View Profile of pablus Send a personal message to pablus  Email pablus Goto the website of pablus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kenike
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-09 7:04 pm   Permalink

Jeeze, I don't even know where to begin...

What an experience. As this was my very first real tiki event, I feel as though I've been officially baptized into tiki culture. I'm sure I'll think of more things to say later, so for now here's my favorite pic of the whole event. Tara of the Mai Kai preparing my Coffee Grog:

View Profile of Kenike Send a personal message to Kenike  Email Kenike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pappythesailor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-09 7:15 pm   Permalink

As I first timer, I was impressed by alot of things but two things are going to stay with me forever. First, the Mai Kai was better than my wildest dreams (although, I hope they get the roof put back on for the 50th anniversary). Secondly, the Robert Drasnin show was magical--just one of those times you can't believe you're lucky enough to be there for.

I was also lucky enough to meet Benzart! (Ben, the Wahine has approved the Lono Tiki!)

View Profile of pappythesailor Send a personal message to pappythesailor  Goto the website of pappythesailor     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-09 7:57 pm   Permalink

Sounds like a cool happening! I want to get to one of these US tiki events one day.

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikilicious
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-09 9:04 pm   Permalink

Quote:

Oh and one more thing;
I've been imortalized in comic form in Tikilicious's Hukilau Coloring Book. What a gas that thing is.

Awww sweetie, you know how much I love you! If I had known how much slimmer you have gotten, I would have drawn you like a swizzle stick! You look FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!!!!! MY GOD! When you first walked in, as you recall, I did a double-take because I barely recognized you! Youre a babe, through and through.

Thank you for letting me immortalize you! You are worth it, because you are so amazing. Steve and I cant wait to draw next year's, HUKILAU VOLUME 2!!!! People have already started signing up to be in it! Its been a blast to do. Especially when I get to draw such sweet people like you.

A great time was had by all!

*kisses!*
Will post pics tomorrow! Steve and I worked the home bar tour today and we are pooped! But I have SO many pics to post for everyone! Tomorrow.

G'night and Mahalo!

View Profile of Tikilicious Send a personal message to Tikilicious  Email Tikilicious Goto the website of Tikilicious     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Mayor Of Exotica
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-09 9:49 pm   Permalink

What a great gathering! It was made so, as is any truly quality gathering, by the people. The thing that impressed me the most was the passion everyone had for the culture, and of course, as a member of Waitiki, I saw it at its best during the performance of Robert Drasnin's music. That was a performer's dream! What a rare thing it is, especially these days, to see a roomful of people forego the urge to hang and converse in order to participate in so sublime and historic a musical event as performing and recording that music!!!

And the hangs before and after the performances were made special by the quality of people too. Thanks for your hospitality!

I would be happy to stay in touch with all of you!!

Keep sacrificing those watermelons, and whenever you see a fellow villager, don't forget the handshake! Okonkuluku!

View Profile of The Mayor Of Exotica Send a personal message to The Mayor Of Exotica  Email The Mayor Of Exotica Goto the website of The Mayor Of Exotica     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikilicious
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-10 05:45 am   Permalink

OKONKULUKUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(PS: The Martin Denny set at The Mai Kai was one of the HIGHLIGHTS of the entire Hukilau. Seriously. It was probably one of the top three most amazing fun spectacular moments that Steve and I experienced this weekend. You guys are... AMAZING. We will forever worship you, and hold that concert in our funny bones and our hearts. Mahalo!)

View Profile of Tikilicious Send a personal message to Tikilicious  Email Tikilicious Goto the website of Tikilicious     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sickmont
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-10-10 07:00 am   Permalink

Ok, Saturday night kicked ass! As a matter of fact, so did Friday night. As a Hukilau newbie, i had a blast. So, now i get to save up for next year(and i'm definitely bringing more cash with me next year!)

And to The Intoxicators: you guys were awesome! And many thanks for the good company and the beer! Couldn't have had better neighbors in a motel.

View Profile of sickmont Send a personal message to sickmont  Email sickmont     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
virani
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-10 07:30 am   Permalink

I just return from Florida...I have so much fresh memories.
It was the best time ever (although I missed my wife). I met some wonderful people, the eastcoaster took well care of me (especially Pablus), I had the pleasure to see some of my californian friends again and share a room with the great Monkeyman and Olga, the Mai Kai was a fantastic experience I'll never forget, I simply loved Robert Drasnin, the Waitiki were my favorite surprise, I loved Tongo Hiti, The Haole Kats, King Kukulele of course was great, I really enjoyed the Intoxicators, not to forget the fantastic slide show of Charles Phoenix...thanks a lot for this great week end, and now, back to boring life.

View Profile of virani Send a personal message to virani  Goto the website of virani     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Deery Luau
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-10-10 09:32 am   Permalink

What happened to the car show?

View Profile of Deery Luau Send a personal message to Deery Luau  Email Deery Luau     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pablus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-10 09:42 am   Permalink

Everyone got in a wreck on the way to the car show because they were so excited to get there. Ft. Lauderdale has some really bad drivers.

I'm not kidding about the bad drivers.

Car show was canceled and announced as such as everyone arrived.

View Profile of pablus Send a personal message to pablus  Email pablus Goto the website of pablus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-10 09:43 am   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: Chip and Andy 2012-05-01 20:35 ]

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Raffertiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-10 10:01 am   Permalink

Firstly, I will have to just "ditto" most, if not all that has been said above. And I will repeat that, Tiki_Kiliki, and associates did a knock-out job in all respects. Even though it was my first big tiki event, I felt at home with all the TC friends I was able to meet, and wish I had more time to meet countless others who I know were there, but I somehow missed. I was among the "who's who of tiki. And who are the parents of the 6 year old Christine who performed at the Mai Kai with King Kukulele? You are doing a swell job to have such a charming daughter. Thanks to all who gave me the unexpected thrill of signing your Tiki Magazines, and Books of Tiki. Heck, even my wife (not entirley into the tiki scene yet, and do to illness, missed the Mai Kai, BLASPHEMOUS, but she really gets nailed hard by a mysterious malady) wants to come back next year. And we will be there!

View Profile of Raffertiki Send a personal message to Raffertiki  Email Raffertiki Goto the website of Raffertiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation