FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Events » » Other Events » » hukilau was fantastic.
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
hukilau was fantastic.
tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-12 12:39 pm   Permalink

Jet Pilot was my theme for the year.

Weds:
-2 jet pilots

Sat:
-1 jet pilot
-1 mai tai
-1 zombie
-1 shrunken head

I decided that after getting so accustomed to the Trader Vic's mai tai and zombie after visiting the Chicago, Emeryville, SF, and Atlanta Trader Vics all in the past year, that I would like to compare the Mai Kai versions.

The shrunken head was picked for my by Dave from Turner newtowrk, who wanted me to hold the mug while he did an interview. I protested that the mug isn't actually a Tiki... but that's showbiz.
At least they sprang for the cost of having a real drink in it at the time!

View Profile of tikibars Send a personal message to tikibars  Email tikibars Goto the website of tikibars     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
professahhummingflowah
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-12 3:06 pm   Permalink

Here's my drink rundown from da Mai Kai:

Weds:
Mara-amu (had to get a mug!)
Bora Bora
Jet Pilot

Sat...
(during tongo-hiti):
Shrunken Skull
151 Shizzle-my-nizzle
Zombie
Deep Sea Diver

(during dinner):
mai-tai
chocolate snowball

(between dinner and denny tribute):
jet pilot

(after martin denny tribute, thanks to dave levy):
barrell o' rum

Damn, you can see, I love those MAI KAI COCKTAILS!! thanks to JT for introducing me to the Jet Pilot!

As we'd say in good ol' Hawai'i Nei....... Maika'i (haole trans.: yee-haw)!!!

View Profile of professahhummingflowah Send a personal message to professahhummingflowah  Email professahhummingflowah Goto the website of professahhummingflowah     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Rick
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-10-12 4:46 pm   Permalink

Moved pictures to the thread for that purpose.

"It's Five O'Clock Somewhere!"

[ This Message was edited by: Trader Rick 2005-10-13 09:20 ]

View Profile of Trader Rick Send a personal message to Trader Rick  Email Trader Rick     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-12 10:21 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-10-12 15:06, professahhummingflowah wrote:
Sat...
(during tongo-hiti):
Shrunken Skull
151 Shizzle-my-nizzle
Zombie
Deep Sea Diver

(during dinner):
mai-tai
chocolate snowball

(between dinner and denny tribute):
jet pilot

(after martin denny tribute, thanks to dave levy):
barrell o' rum

Damn, I would not have let you on stage if I knew you had all of those cocktails in you!

How do you play so well with seven Mai Kai drinks in your gullett?

View Profile of tikibars Send a personal message to tikibars  Email tikibars Goto the website of tikibars     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Traitor Vic
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-12 11:13 pm   Permalink

Dang!!!

All I remember (really well, anyway...) is the Mystery Bowl!!!

Okay... I actually remember a couple of Black Magics in the bar. And I ordered (and consumed) something so that I could bring a mug home... And then I had something else during the WaiTiki show...

Hey! I Remember My Name, Though!

View Profile of Traitor Vic Send a personal message to Traitor Vic  Email Traitor Vic     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki G.
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-13 10:16 am   Permalink

I have been reading alot of post & praise on all the bands and performers who performed at this year's Hukilau (which is definitely deserved by all), but nothing mentioned about "Slip & the Spinouts" on Thursday night for the meet and greet. These guy's were jammin'. We really enjoyed grooving to some good old Florida Rockabilly/Bluesy beats. Trish and I were out there getting our groove on, cutting some rug trying to break the ice for the crowd.

Nice talking with you Slip. Your one Smoothe Cat. We thought you guys sounded AWESOME!!!!!! Hope your back next year.......

G.

[ This Message was edited by: Tiki G. 2005-10-13 10:59 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Tiki G. 2006-02-15 05:38 ]

View Profile of Tiki G. Send a personal message to Tiki G.  Email Tiki G. Goto the website of Tiki G.     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-13 8:39 pm   Permalink

Just now resurfacing for a short bit... my sincerest apologies to anyone at Hukilau who thought I seemed a bit aloof -- what I thought at first was a strangely un-kickable hangover turned out to be the flu. I spent too much of Hukilau, especially at the Mai Kai, in a daze. But oh what an environment to be dazed in! It was a beyond fantastic time, for all the reasons everyone else has laid out already. Personal highlights: Waitiki, Unga Bunga's afterparty (never listen to my party planning tips), listening to Drasnin, Waitiki, meeting Yma Sumac, Waitiki, Black Magic, sharing the Mai Kai with Hanford, Waitiki, the Wreck Bar, buying too much stuff, Waitiki, Waitiki and Waitiki.

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
professahhummingflowah
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-14 12:06 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-10-12 22:21, tikibars wrote:
Damn, I would not have let you on stage if I knew you had all of those cocktails in you!

How do you play so well with seven Mai Kai drinks in your gullett?

Ahhh that is the secret trick of the Villagers of Okonkuluku... no, actually the real question is, "how did we load all that equipment on stage", with seven Mai Kai drinks in my gullett ... !!

View Profile of professahhummingflowah Send a personal message to professahhummingflowah  Email professahhummingflowah Goto the website of professahhummingflowah     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
professahhummingflowah
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-14 12:09 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-10-13 10:16, Tiki G. wrote:
I have been reading alot of post & praise on all the bands and performers who performed at this year's Hukilau (which is definitely deserved by all), but nothing mentioned about "Slip & the Spinouts" on Thursday night for the meet and greet. These guy's were jammin'! We really enjoyed grooving to some good old Florida Rockabilly/Bluesy beats. Trish and I were out there getting our groove on, cutting some rug trying to break the ice for the crowd along with "Crazy Al" and a swinger....

Nice talking with you "Slip". Your one "Smoothe Cat". We thought you guys sounded AWESOME!!!!!! Hope your back next year.......

yo, i gotta agree - SLIP is one cool mofo, and thanks again for letting me use your flaming bass on the drasnin rehearsal! slip, we gotta learn to play uke though, then we can really jam with the haole kats!

-randy of waitiki

Jawa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-14 05:49 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-10-14 00:09, professahhummingflowah wrote:
-randy of waitiki

Argh! Professah, the Waitiki site is unavailable, and I need some jams here at the office!

Edit...site is back up now! Woo Hoo

[ This Message was edited by: Jawa 2005-10-14 10:28 ]

View Profile of Jawa Send a personal message to Jawa  Email Jawa Goto the website of Jawa     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Mayor Of Exotica
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-14 1:42 pm   Permalink

[quote]
On 2005-10-13 20:39, Humuhumu wrote:
Just now resurfacing for a short bit... my sincerest apologies to anyone at Hukilau who thought I seemed a bit aloof -- what I thought at first was a strangely un-kickable hangover turned out to be the flu. I spent too much of Hukilau, especially at the Mai Kai, in a daze. But oh what an environment to be dazed in! It was a beyond fantastic time, for all the reasons everyone else has laid out already. Personal highlights: Waitiki, Unga Bunga's afterparty (never listen to my party planning tips), listening to Drasnin, Waitiki, meeting Yma Sumac, Waitiki, Black Magic, sharing the Mai Kai with Hanford, Waitiki, the Wreck Bar, buying too much stuff, Waitiki, Waitiki and Waitiki.

So sorry to hear you were not well. I for one would never have guessed it.

So glad you enjoyed our humble offerings. I look forward to next year already!

View Profile of The Mayor Of Exotica Send a personal message to The Mayor Of Exotica  Email The Mayor Of Exotica Goto the website of The Mayor Of Exotica     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-14 1:52 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-10-14 13:42, The Mayor Of Exotica wrote:
So sorry to hear you were not well. I for one would never have guessed it.

Ah, but this is because you hadn't met me before -- other TCers can attest that I'm usually a little... livelier... at events. No dancing on the kitchen counter, no f#@king the bear, no riding of giant wooden fertility idols, no risque mistletoe placement demonstrations, no cow udder fondling, no getting bench pressed... I was downright tame at this event. I hope to make up for it at tomorrow's Hooptylau!

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2005-10-14 2:19 pm   Permalink

If this is Humuhumu on a bad day ... you should see her on a good day!

(on right)

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Formikahini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-14 2:34 pm   Permalink

*Now* I understand why this year was so, um, tame, Humu2!! Hope you're on the mend, go-go partner!

Where to start with the thanks and the applause? I already went on and on on the Thanks Home Bar Tour thread, so I'll leave that there. But I'll say, if you *EVER* get offered one of these, folks, DO it. The chance to hang out in a relaxed atmosphere is the BEST. My favorite part of my first Chicago Exotica had been the bar tour by bus, so I knew this too would be killer. And it was. Loved sitting next to Casey, who also was FI-nally able to just relax and enjoy himself - yay! Loved meeting Nicole (Tikigimp?) and husband Ken (Crazy Al's twin) - y'all were the cutest couple! Wish I could've hung out with the super cool/super cute Slip more (you guys ROCKED!). Anyway, FAB magical mystical tour. I could listen to Charles Phoenex and King Kuke all night!

HUUUGE thanks to Christie and to James T for having gotten me for the Drasnin gig. I'll name my first-born children after you for that one. Or my next dogs. For me to have sung that music - with Yma Sumac in the audience - well, what's left!?!! The whole show - all the entertainment - was just top-notch. I already raved on the Haole Cats, and I'll add my name to pile of new Waitiki devotees. I plan to set up my hut in the village of Okonkuluku and take many husbands there....

The merch, as usual, top notch. I love the official Hukimerch and my bags were STUFFED with offerings from many lands. You know the new 50 lb limit on your big bag in the airport check-in? Mine was 47.5 lbs!! I'm damned proud of that one. And it didn't include the VERY heavy carry-on, laden with the bulk of the mugs and glasses (and huge chunks of cheapo coral I found on the beach Monday with Pearly Shell and Mean Gene). Thank gawd for bubble-wrap and my remembering to pack LOADS of it, and to pack half-empty bags! My new Chisel Slinger Witco-ish mask with the zazzy background fabric is itching to be mounted.

The Mai Kai? What can I say that hasn't been said 100X. Nothing, except I WILL be there for next year's celebration!! Those people just do it SO RIGHT. Even when they have us in their homes!! And hearing the Martin Denny set in there...ohhhhhhhhhhhh. I said to Gary, the marimba player who'd done the Drasnin gig (and is now a devotee of exotica!), and who came to the Mai Kai for the set, where else is it considered GOOD form to make monkey cries and bird calls DURING a band's performance?? And to throw a sock monkey onstage while they're on?? (Go Inky!!) It was just magical. I was too wired during the Drasnin thing to let myself drift away then, but I got to with the Waitiki boys' Denny set, and it was the *BEST.*

I'll have to edit in a list of all the it-was-great-to-see-you's and other stuff I'm leaving out now later, but I wanted the organizers to know now HOW MUCH I ENJOYED HUKILAU. THANK YOU!!!!!
alice b

View Profile of Formikahini Send a personal message to Formikahini  Email Formikahini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
crazy al
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-15 12:39 am   Permalink

Hey I caught Mr. Cabaña Boy admiring the uniquely painted official Hukilau Necklace...
(he said something about lacing S.D's neck or something)

if you didn't get one get yours here:
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=16897&forum=12&start=last&

View Profile of crazy al Send a personal message to crazy al  Email crazy al Goto the website of crazy al     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation