FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events Other Events hukilau was fantastic.
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
hukilau was fantastic.
Whollycat
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-10-17 11:38 am   Permalink

So many Mahalos/So little Time!!! Gonna give it a shot anyway :

James & Christie > Can't thank you both enough for all your hard work and the opportunity for having the Kats be a part of Hukilau this year. Your kindness of recognition onstage at the Maikai was unexpected and touching.
By the way, I think The Stones are trying to reach the both of you for their 2006 tour !!!

Crazed Mugs > Mahalo for all your support all the time and your invaluable help (at all hours)for helping haul our gear from one venue to another at the event. Performing with us onstage at the Mar on Friday and having us record on the your Cd was a stone groove.

Waitiki > To say you Cats were a musical treat will never be enough! Hanging at the hotel and getting to know you offstage was a trip... Thanks for the Cd's and the Hawaiian Candy and would someone please tell Mr.Ho that the "Profesa" has his copies of the Haole Kats Cd's so he can finally get his punk-ass dance-groove
on !!!

Slip(& the Spinouts)> For those of you who might not know, Slip performed a kick-ass set on Thursday night but then hung through the entire event from the Cabana everynight thru the Home Bar Tour.. Thanks for your interest in the Ukes & Steel and we ain't done with you yet ....

DJ Jazzy (Exotica) Jeff > Not only were your sets on Friday a treat for me but the way you seemed to always be there for Mr. Drasnin (especially on Saturday)Thanks for the CD's and since hooking up with you & Deb at Exotica this past summer I would like to say I could not be prouder of 2 Homies from my Hometown.. Tell Deb to keep wearing those awesome shoes and be sure to play "South Sea Lullaby" for her at bedtime !! "Where are my White Castles" ???

Tongohiti > Couldn't catch your Maikai gig as we were working but everyone said it was killer. It was a blast working with you up in Atlanta and that I did get to hear. Stay in touch...

Intoxicators > Surfs Up !!! These were some of the nicest and talented guys to work with... Looking forward to working with you up at Trader Vics (Atlanta) Stay in touch !!

Mr.Drasnin > Your kind words to us (in public and private) will never be forgotten along with your magical music that you shared with everyone. We will send you those tracks when they are finished as promised and it must be said that a more talented,humble man we will never meet !!!

Pia & Drew > Thank you for having us in your home for the bar tour.. Your thoughtfulness,your kindness,and help during the afternoon and evening was unprecedented by any standard. We didn't forget about Christmas or the great surf music Drew kept playing.. Please say hi to Kern and Elke for us along with Chip & Andy (Who because of the weather related circumstances we were prevented from visiting on the last stop)

The King > From meeting and working with you at Exotica (Fitzgeralds and Chef Shangrila)to Hukilau you are the hardest working Cat in Tiki Show Business, not to mention the most talented. Hail to the King!!!

Alice > Where there is a King there must be a Queen (so it is written...) From the S.C.O.T.S show in Chicago to Your performance at Hukilau only one phrase will work "you are amazing " ***May the Formika be with you***

To :KuKu,Jim,Lake Surfer,Vic&Susan,Dade City Frazier party mongers & son, Poly-Pop,Mr.(John)Orlando,Crazy Al,Vern,Unga(party central)Bunga,BK&Niki,Kim,Mr&Mrs.Val,Humu2,Hanford,MeanGene,Tikilicious Mr&Mrs.Swanky(ok not quite yet),our Cabana Detroit neighbors,Tiki Soap
Guy,Tiki G&T,Cabana Boy,Mr.&Mrs. NeptuneTiki,TikiBree,KicktheReverb,Idreamoftiki,TampaBay ohana,and anyone I omitted at this time along with the above mentioned I will PM later...

*For those of you who have not yet fallen asleep reading this post,the most important is saved for here at last.*

The Biggest Mahalo on the planet goes to: (insert drum roll here)>

"Everyone" attending this years killer event. Without all of you it would not exist. We would not have met you,heard your kind words,shook your hands,hugged you,enjoyed your artistry,your music, your intoxication,and most importantly the chance to cherish your FRIENDSHIP !!!

As the songs says "On a Coconut Island we'd love to be Castaways with each and every one of you" [Ok ,song lyric embellishment is allowed this once]

Peace and Thanks to all !!!
Aloha,
Joe/Haole Kats

[ This Message was edited by: whollycat 2005-10-18 07:49 ]

View Profile of Whollycat Send a personal message to Whollycat  Email Whollycat Goto the website of Whollycat     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
donhonyc
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-17 7:07 pm   Permalink

aLoHa-

I WAS THERE! Guess I was overwhelmed by the fact that I had my senior prom in June of 1984 in the VERY SAME BALLROOM where Hukilau 2005 was held at the Bahia Mar. How's that for freakin wierd? In some parallel universe the me of today and the me of my 1984 prom were shaking hands and conversing. Probably saying something to each other like:

"you're me future guy? you're at a hukilau? what's that?"

"I was you, teenager? That blue tux is hideous!"

They also used to hold the Broward county/local TV affiliate version of The Jerry Lewis Labor Day Telethon in that ballroom. You know...the tote-board, people performing, a few tiers of people answering phones in the background...

I loved the Charles Phoenix slide show. Brilliant! And Waitiki blew my mind!

To the guys in Waitiki: you are amazing musicians! I never thought Exotica music could be performed with as much passion as you guys put into it. Amazing. Come to NYC and do your thing. i want my friends to check it out.

Basement Kahuna: you had the best goods in the house! I went back on Friday (or was it Saturday) afternoon and looked for your table, but you wuz gone! Did you sell everything? Looked like you were doing well, selling your stuff right out of the box. Nice work!

I would checked out more Hukilau stuff, but I was running around visiting family and stuff.

**I was hoping for more people with vintage merch like Basment Kahuna. Very cool stuff dude. Particularly old tiki postcards. Outside of Kahuna's table, couldn't find many of those there. Just as well...probably saved a boat load 'o money. Can't say that I was too thrilled with the prices of Yma Sumac's autographs. $20 for an autographed 8x10, and $10 a piece to sign your own memorabilia? Hmm...kinda steep. I had her sign my LP of 'Voice of the Xtabay' and my EP of 'Mambo'. I was hoping to get a signd 8x10 too, but $20 worth of autographs was where I had to step off. Oh well.

Fun time!!! I will probably be at the Mai Kai hopefully several times before next Hukilau, until then see you in the 1984 prom flashback ballroom at the Bahia Mar next year for Hukilau '06.

View Profile of donhonyc Send a personal message to donhonyc      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Haole Kat
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-19 10:55 am   Permalink

Wow! What a weekend!

I'd like to first thank James & Christie for inviting us to be a part of HUKILAU...it was awesome! You did a great job of keping things together under pretty chaotic circumstances. I can't wait for next year!

Waitiki -- You guys are inspiring! Your passion is contagious. Not only can you play your asses off, but you're all cool guys, too! Randy -- I had a great time jammin' with you Saturday night, I sure hope we can do it again.

Slip -- You guys sounded great Thursday night! It was cool hanging with you over the weekend - drop us an e-mail when you're ready to come up for a Uke Jam!

Intoxicators -- Gary, George, Adam & Bryan are 4 of the nicest dudes you could ever hope to meet. Talented, too! If you like Surf music, check these guys out.

I also had the pleasure of briefly meeting and speaking with tons of TC'ers...thanks for all the kind words about our music! Let's see if I can remember who I ran into....

Formikahini, PolyPop, SugarCaddyDaddy, Kik the Reverb, Jeff & Deb, Swanky & Stephanie, Pablus, Scott & Russ of The Crazed Mugs, Lake Surfer and the lovely Jenni, Crazy Al, King K, Unga Bunga, Hanford & HumuHumu, ikitnrev, Mean Gene, Cabana Boy, John Pez, Gary & Trish, Benzart, Basement Kahuna & Nikki, KuKu Ahu, Kelly, Dade City Crew, Voodoo Val & Mike, Tikilicious, Idreamoftiki, Neptune Tiki & Wahine, and of course, the lovely Tiki Bree!

If I forgot to mention you, blame the rum!

I'd also like to thank everyone who helped support HAOLE KATS!!! by purchasing our CD's. THANK YOU!!!

I'll get some pics up on th proper thread ASAP.

Josh

View Profile of Haole Kat Send a personal message to Haole Kat  Email Haole Kat Goto the website of Haole Kat     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sickmont
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-10-19 11:29 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-10-17 19:07, donhonyc wrote:
Can't say that I was too thrilled with the prices of Yma Sumac's autographs. $20 for an autographed 8x10, and $10 a piece to sign your own memorabilia? Hmm...kinda steep. I had her sign my LP of 'Voice of the Xtabay' and my EP of 'Mambo'. I was hoping to get a signd 8x10 too, but $20 worth of autographs was where I had to step off. Oh well.

Could be worse, dude. William Shatner charges $150 to start for his autographs at trekkie conventions.

View Profile of sickmont Send a personal message to sickmont  Email sickmont     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrsmiley
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2005-10-19 11:39 am   Permalink

]
Quote:

Can't say that I was too thrilled with the prices of Yma Sumac's autographs. $20 for an autographed 8x10, and $10 a piece to sign your own memorabilia? Hmm...kinda steep. I had her sign my LP of 'Voice of the Xtabay' and my EP of 'Mambo'. I was hoping to get a signd 8x10 too, but $20 worth of autographs was where I had to step off. Oh well.

I was autographing my image in the comic book for FREE!! DANG, I need a new manager!!
If you like it, it is ZAZZ! If you don't it is RAZZ!

View Profile of mrsmiley Send a personal message to mrsmiley  Email mrsmiley Goto the website of mrsmiley     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikigoob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-19 12:02 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-10-19 11:29, sickmont wrote:
Quote:

Could be worse, dude. William Shatner charges $150 to start for his autographs at trekkie conventions.

One... fif-ty... But... that's... like... twelve... less... zom-bies... I... could... have... had.... (spoken like William Shatner)

I too signed my pictures in the coloring book for free... and a couple of our cd's too...
Does anyone know who Shatner's manager is?

View Profile of Tikigoob Send a personal message to Tikigoob  Email Tikigoob Goto the website of Tikigoob     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kenike
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-19 1:40 pm   Permalink

Quote:
Can't say that I was too thrilled with the prices of Yma Sumac's autographs. $20 for an autographed 8x10, and $10 a piece to sign your own memorabilia? Hmm...kinda steep.

I thought it was steep too, but at least she was there. It's my understanding that she rarely makes public appearances these days.

I spent my money with Bunny Yeager...bought one of her books and she signed it. There was a guy in front of me with a PILE of Bettie Page material. It was obviously bootleg stuff because Bunny kept asking "Where did you get this?" and saying "I've never seen this before...who made this.." She was polite and signed about 20 autographs for this guy and he didn't give her a dime! Not cool.

View Profile of Kenike Send a personal message to Kenike  Email Kenike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab

Posted: 2005-10-19 2:12 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-10-19 13:40, Kenike wrote:
I spent my money with Bunny Yeager...bought one of her books and she signed it. There was a guy in front of me with a PILE of Bettie Page material. It was obviously bootleg stuff because Bunny kept asking "Where did you get this?" and saying "I've never seen this before...who made this.." She was polite and signed about 20 autographs for this guy and he didn't give her a dime! Not cool.

What a creep!

Bunny Yeager told me she was disappointed that the person who was supposed to bring her most recent photo books flaked, which is perhaps why some people thought she was in a bad mood. I was happy to be able to meet her. I brought two vintage photography books by her for her to sign, then I bought an 8x10 and 2 of her books she was selling.

The books that never arrived:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0764314734/qid=1129755686/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_1/103-6240495-9300617?v=glance&s=books&n=507846
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0764320025/qid=1129755686/sr=8-2/ref=pd_bbs_2/103-6240495-9300617?v=glance&s=books&n=507846
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0764323342/qid=1129755686/sr=8-6/ref=pd_bbs_6/103-6240495-9300617?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

I think $10 for an autograph by Yma Sumac, or $20 for a personally autographed 8x10 is a reasonable price. Some of the pictures of her I had never seen before.

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
donhonyc
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-19 2:51 pm   Permalink

Quote:

That is complete insanity from where no man has ever gone before. Gee...Shatner must really 'love' his fans.

True, it was cool that Yma showed up at all. I guess I was basing my autograph purchasing on other experiences. The week before Hukilau (believe it or not) I went to a book signing by our ole pal Jack Klugman ('Oscar' from the 'Odd Couple') for his new book "Tony & Me" about his friendship with him and Mr. Randall. The book was $24.95, and he signed additional memorabila for free. Along with the book I brought a cool color 8x10 of him as Oscar with a Mets hat on and cigar in mouth. Pretty damn cool. I also got Bill Clinton's autograph for free at one of his book signings so the fee for signed memorabilia is new to me. And even if it is kinda steep, can't say that is suprises me. It does boost the value of your item and all that. I guess all these celebrities work differently.

Hukilau was still a blast and I'm glad I got Yma to sign my albums.

[ This Message was edited by: donhonyc 2005-10-19 14:57 ]

View Profile of donhonyc Send a personal message to donhonyc      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-19 5:51 pm   Permalink

I never saw Bunny at all. I found Yma finally on Saturday and I got a kiss for $10, and she threw in an autograph for free!

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Merrilliki

Posted: 2005-10-28 1:24 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-10-19 10:55, Haole Kat wrote:
... Dade City Crew...Josh

This is merriliki (Merrill), son of jungle Jim (I think there was more than one there) and Jungle Jennifer...or as Josh said, the Dade City Crew. Since Dad is not as...technologically advanced...I promised I would register on TC and finally got around to it just now.

So my apologies for reviving this thread when it might be ready to die, but I had to shout out to all for a wonderful first experience for me, hopefully one of many more to come.

See you next year!?

View Profile of Merrilliki Send a personal message to Merrilliki  Email Merrilliki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
alohabros
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-28 2:42 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-10-19 11:29, sickmont wrote:
Quote:

Can't say that I was too thrilled with the prices of Yma Sumac's autographs. ...

... yma sumac is no william shatner...

View Profile of alohabros Send a personal message to alohabros      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JonPez

Posted: 2005-11-01 9:17 pm   Permalink

Quote:

... yma sumac is no william shatner...

Yeah. One can sing (I'll leave it to the individuals opinion, of course)

Was great to see Bunny Yeager again. Met her once before 15 years ago at a Florida Motion Picture and Television Association meeting in Orlando. Had no idea who she was, but someone mentioned Betty Page. I asked a friend who was a collector of vintage goodies and he turned me on to her. Wait. That didn't sound right...
Got both Yma and Bunny's autographs. Very glad I did. Unlike the Dr. Who autographs I got back in high school. Still labels me a geek to this day.
Yma was great. She signed both the inside and the outside of my 45rpm box set of Legend of the Sun Virgin and said "Vhen you lhay jour head doooown upon jour pillow at night to schleep, you put thees on, and jou will be taken away to fhar avay lands and peeeceful dreams".
BTW- I love both Yma Sumac AND Wm. Shatner's singing. I get a real tingly feeling the first time I play either for someone and watch their reactions. Not the same effect as Mrs. Miller or the Shaggs, but still classic.
Anybody heard Q-Burn's Abstract Message's remix of Gopher? Wonder if Yma has...

View Profile of JonPez Send a personal message to JonPez  Goto the website of JonPez     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chief Lapu Lapu
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-11-03 5:03 pm   Permalink

My latest addition to The Room of the Gods...

I'm not paying $150 for anyones autograph not even Kirk's. But a chance to meet Yma and the price of two Mai Kai drinks for an autograph seemed pretty reasonable to me. Bought Bunny's book which she also signed and got to hear all about a great local "all you can eat" buffet place that she found.

Quote:

On 2005-11-01 21:17, JonPez wrote:

Not the same effect as Mrs. Miller or the Shaggs, but still classic.

The Shaggs! Haven't heard them in a while. Hey what ever happened to the Shagg movie?

[ This Message was edited by: Chief Lapu Lapu 2005-11-04 02:59 ]

View Profile of Chief Lapu Lapu Send a personal message to Chief Lapu Lapu  Goto the website of Chief Lapu Lapu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikivixen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-04 12:50 am   Permalink

"Got both Yma and Bunny's autographs. Very glad I did. Unlike the Dr. Who autographs I got back in high school. Still labels me a geek to this day."

Seriously, I have learned to look at that period in my history as simply another manifestation of my general fondness for eccentric British character actors. Works, sort of.

Plus, they might be worth something nowadays. Geekdom never dies, but character actors do, and then their relics appreciate.

View Profile of tikivixen Send a personal message to tikivixen      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation