FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Carving Seminar Benzart, Basement Kahuna Tiki Diablo
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 Next Page )
Carving Seminar Benzart, Basement Kahuna Tiki Diablo
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-06 08:24 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-04-06 08:20, pdrake wrote:
are those real hillbilly hats? i thought they only existed in cartoons.

Yeah, and moonshine stills also only exist in cartoons...

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SilverLine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-06 09:03 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-04-06 08:09, Johnny Dollar wrote:
you all realize that this would be the perfect setting for a TIKI HORROR MOVIE...

COON-TIKI . . . where NO ONE can hear you SCREAM!

Oh yeah, it crossed my mind too.

Classic Silver Line Boats

View Profile of SilverLine Send a personal message to SilverLine  Goto the website of SilverLine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-04-06 09:12 am   Permalink

here's #2. I had a bunch of cherry wood laying around so I thought I would carve it up. Thanks ben. Can't wait to put BKs top secrete finish on it.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-06 5:51 pm   Permalink

Anybody see Bigfoot?

-Gman

View Profile of GMAN Send a personal message to GMAN      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Diablo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-06 9:30 pm   Permalink

Ahh yeahh. I had a GREAT time at the Coon Tiki event. Everybody was awesome and so helpfull. What a bunch of A-1 peeps. MR and Ms. Swanky thanks for being such great hosts for all of us crazy tiki beavers. Glad to see all went well and everybody made it home safe. ARRIBA!

View Profile of Tiki Diablo Send a personal message to Tiki Diablo  Email Tiki Diablo Goto the website of Tiki Diablo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-07 05:28 am   Permalink

Yeah, Bigfoot went back to So Cali on Monday morning..

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-07 05:45 am   Permalink

Nah, I see a lot of the Kahiki logo in skips new piece. Great work, ya bastard. Show off.

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pablus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-07 05:48 am   Permalink

<<<<homemade redneck toboggan down the steep grassy slope behind the Lodge. I think we invented a new sport.>>>

Actually, this is an ancient Hawai'ian pastime that even has a legend involving Pele around it.

I love to talk story like you sickos like to carve and I was talking with Finkdaddy last night over some frosty tropical cocktails about telling some old Hawai'ian stories and putting them on mp3s here on TC. There are many involving wood and very descriptive passages of certain trees like the one Maui used to capture the sun.

You see, Maui once noticed his dearly loved mother weeping in frustration and he...

... yeah, this is gonna work.

Next Coontiki - I'll come up and be the official storyteller/bard.
Since I stopped smoking and getting trashed I don't snore very much anymore but I once chased Swanky out of a Hilton. He left so fast he left his boots in the room. No kidding.

You know what works is ear plugs. I figured you guys would have a grip on that because they're always located in the chain saw section.

View Profile of pablus Send a personal message to pablus  Email pablus Goto the website of pablus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lake Surfer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-07 07:47 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-04-07 05:48, pablus wrote:
I love to talk story like you sickos like to carve and I was talking with Finkdaddy last night over some frosty tropical cocktails about telling some old Hawai'ian stories and putting them on mp3s here on TC. There are many involving wood and very descriptive passages of certain trees like the one Maui used to capture the sun.

Seriously!

I'd pay money for something like this even. You could talk story and have your uke playing in the background.
I'd love to carve to it... I think it would really set the mood. A lot of times while carving I've got Hapa, IZ, and the Haole Cats in rotation.
Some of my favorite songs by IZ are the stories set to music.

I love the Hawai'ian stories... the 2 weeks I spent there were surfing and exploring, but the memories are of the stories from guides and others about why things are so.

At the least pablus, think about doing a few mp3's to put on here if you have time...

And send me a picture of my tiki in the Lagoon Lounge!!

View Profile of Lake Surfer Send a personal message to Lake Surfer      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
McTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-07 2:38 pm   Permalink

I have watched this thread throughout it's development. It's astonishing that this happened in the time that it has. It's kind of our generations gathering of great artists that will make up a part of Tiki history and fond memories that are sure to withstand the test of ages. This warms me.

Very nicely done indeed.

And to Lake's point, It would/should serve as primer to engage some get-togethers for carving and story amongst family.

Mahaloz

View Profile of McTiki Send a personal message to McTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SilverLine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-07 7:58 pm   Permalink

My photos are now up online at my business website! These are just low-res proofs made for quick downloading; there are 154 shots there!

I'm sorry about the watermarks, I hate them too. But ever since an architect (who should have known better) printed a set of my low-res proofs and then credited ME with the crappy print quality, I watermark ALL proofs. It'll help protect those works pictured herein from the joys of website theft as well.

Sometime this weekend I'll post an URL for a high-res group picture that anyone can download and print at home. Till then, here they are:

http://f-stop.com/clients/Coon-Tiki

Classic Silver Line Boats

View Profile of SilverLine Send a personal message to SilverLine  Goto the website of SilverLine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lake Surfer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-07 10:43 pm   Permalink

Hey Swanky...

I'm too lazy right now to look back at the old posts... but is this the tiki that you've been working on for a while?

http://f-stop.com/clients/Coon-Tiki/072.htm

The one that resembles the City of Refuge tiki?

If it is, did you get the tips from Danny on how to make it happen?

http://f-stop.com/clients/Coon-Tiki/080.htm

Looking forward to your future work... I think you have more carving talent than you realize

[ This Message was edited by: Lake Surfer 2006-04-07 22:44 ]

View Profile of Lake Surfer Send a personal message to Lake Surfer      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-08 12:43 am   Permalink

Silverline, Thats a nice bunch of pictures. Kinda looks like everyone was having fun there. It was really nice meeting you and everyone else there.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-08 08:34 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-04-07 22:43, Lake Surfer wrote:
Hey Swanky...

I'm too lazy right now to look back at the old posts... but is this the tiki that you've been working on for a while?

http://f-stop.com/clients/Coon-Tiki/072.htm

The one that resembles the City of Refuge tiki?

If it is, did you get the tips from Danny on how to make it happen?

http://f-stop.com/clients/Coon-Tiki/080.htm

Looking forward to your future work... I think you have more carving talent than you realize

[ This Message was edited by: Lake Surfer 2006-04-07 22:44 ]

Yes it is! And that Ku is the reason we all got together. I was working away and thought how nice it would be if BK or some other experienced carver lived down the street. I needed advice badly. So I imagined there were others in the same sort of boat.

I went over every problem spot in that tiki with Tiki Diablo and he really made it clear. The mouth still awaits, abut I am much more ready to get it all done than I was before. I really can express how much I learned. I liken it to getting a guitar and tryng to play and it all sounds bad and you put it away after a week. A few lessons and you might instead play the rest of your life. Hell, I was holding the chisel upside down!

I am ready for a summer of carving. And Ms Swanky did a much better job than I did. I'll get her on the mallet too.

Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-08 08:46 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-04-06 09:12, tikiskip wrote:
here's #2. I had a bunch of cherry wood laying around so I thought I would carve it up. Thanks ben. Can't wait to put BKs top secrete finish on it.

Damn skip! That tiki is VERY cool and sorta has that Kahiki look to it! Congrats!!!

Jeff

View Profile of Jeff Central Send a personal message to Jeff Central  Email Jeff Central Goto the website of Jeff Central     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation