FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » General Tiki » » Goodbye Leilani Lanes: Seattle, WA
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Goodbye Leilani Lanes: Seattle, WA
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-13 2:51 pm   Permalink

Those are fantastic, thanks for posting them, puamana! That condiment stand is amazing, the fashion show is surreal. I'd been in that lounge plenty of times, and until our last visit, I'd never noticed that great fireplace, and the water feature underneath it(!). I'm extraordinarily covetous of those orange chairs.

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dogbytes

Posted: 2006-02-13 3:16 pm   Permalink

Puamana, you take the best pictures!! thanks for posting. guess i should stop by the Lanes just to say "i did".

View Profile of dogbytes Send a personal message to dogbytes  Email dogbytes Goto the website of dogbytes     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mbonga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-13 3:21 pm   Permalink

Great pictures. That's the kind of place of which I always take loads of photos now, because I know they're disappearing at a fast rate: restaurants, motels, car washes, bowling alleys, apartment complexes, public fountains, housing complexes, small stores, parking buildings, even amusement parks. People see me taking pictures in a store or something and smirk about it amongst themselves, but then suddenly it's gone and nobody anywhere seems to have thought to ever take any photos of it, and I'm the only one holding rare documentation of history and memories. Unfortunately, I didn't start early enough and didn't do that extensively enough to prevent still having regrets.

I don't even live in that area and I regret the demise of that building. Think of all the great times people must've had there, evidenced by those old bulletin board photos. Memories and the original retro architecture/decor are something that no new business can replace. Personally, I boycott any such new businesses that destroyed such nice old vintage things.

View Profile of mbonga Send a personal message to mbonga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AaronJ

Posted: 2006-03-23 10:22 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-10-22 00:32, tikivixen wrote:
I am so *#$@!! sick of greedy-ass developers!!!!!!!

Hey, guy, guess what??!! You have a WHOLE DAMNED PLANET to build on...(and, as Carl Sagan might have said--)BILLIONS AND BILLLLLIONS of square miles to pave over...and how many well-loved tiki bowling alleys remain?!? like, THREE or something??? WHY do you need to build on LEILANI LANES?!?

gggGGGRrrRRRrrr.

I hope a large tiki falls on him. I'm really not joking.

TO Quote The Opinion I Made To The Seattle Times:
"WE don’t want new businesses and apartments
clogging up the innocent parking space
That lelani has right now
I say , Leave LELANI ALONE!!!!"

in my statement that i said to that anti-developer opinion i mentioned about if lelani wanted a remodel given the how old it was , you know, a restoration

and i would highly say, that that developer may probably give up

so in conclusion, support NO on that developer's plot to tear down lelani

[ This Message was edited by: AaronJ 2006-03-23 10:25 ]

[ This Message was edited by: AaronJ 2006-03-23 10:25 ]

View Profile of AaronJ Send a personal message to AaronJ      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-23 9:42 pm   Permalink

Great documentation, Mimi, I just KNEW the place was Witco-ed out more than when I saw it during my visit last year...
Now, to find out how the ORIGINAL entrance and sign looked!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Primo Kimo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-24 04:11 am   Permalink

Awesome pics. What a shameful shamely shame=(

View Profile of Primo Kimo Send a personal message to Primo Kimo  Email Primo Kimo Goto the website of Primo Kimo ICQ status     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dogbytes

Posted: 2006-04-11 4:26 pm   Permalink

I'm TOO LATE! argh, stupid Seattle newspapers post stories too late for anyone to actually participate..

"Interested in purchasing a piece of Leilani Lanes history?

James G. Murphy Inc. will be conducting a public auction on premises April 11th, 2006 Viewing will be from 8am to 10am - Open bidding starts at 10am."

http://www.murphyauctions.net/leilanilanes.html

http://www.murphyauctions.net/leilanilanespics.html

View Profile of dogbytes Send a personal message to dogbytes  Email dogbytes Goto the website of dogbytes     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrsmiley
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-11 4:54 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-04-11 16:26, dogbytes wrote:
I'm TOO LATE! argh, stupid Seattle newspapers post stories too late for anyone to actually participate..

"Interested in purchasing a piece of Leilani Lanes history?

James G. Murphy Inc. will be conducting a public auction on premises April 11th, 2006 Viewing will be from 8am to 10am - Open bidding starts at 10am."

http://www.murphyauctions.net/leilanilanes.html

http://www.murphyauctions.net/leilanilanespics.html

RAZZ!!!!

View Profile of mrsmiley Send a personal message to mrsmiley  Email mrsmiley Goto the website of mrsmiley     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Natayowa

Posted: 2006-04-12 7:30 pm   Permalink

Thanks to all who posted links & pics about the old place...I bowled there for many years before I semi-retired from the sport, and I just heard about all this today...

It brought back a whole lot of memories, especially since I did work there for a time in 1979-1980 when I was 16 years old. I am sad I didn't hear about this sooner so I could have gotten up there before they closed.

Again, thanks to those who got pics.

View Profile of Natayowa Send a personal message to Natayowa  Goto the website of Natayowa     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dogbytes

Posted: 2006-04-12 8:53 pm   Permalink

Seattle Times

summary:

More than 200 signed up in the lobby with the James G. Murphy Co., a local auctioneer. Some of those attending weren't expecting to buy anything. They just wanted to be there and once again say goodbye.

The auction netted a little more than $90,000.

Kym Wells, 45, of Everett, who owns an arcade business and supplies arcade equipment to bars, paid $658 for one of the large Tiki statues. He said it will be one more addition to his home Tiki lounge, which already includes a fountain and thatched roof

puamana
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-13 10:19 am   Permalink

I went to the auction, and once the carvings were up, it all went quick. I didn't get to write it all down ( the auctioneer talked so fast, and I was still kinda out of it from our red-eye flight back from Hawaii) , but prices ranged from $ 200+ to $ 600+. Some of the Witco that was pictured in those fashion show snapshots were also there, ( the two man & woman plaques, and the dolphin-type carvings ), and the cabinet that was also in those snapshots (its actually a wine rack on the top) was sitting all lonely and by itself in a back hallway ( didn't see how much that went for ). I got the two carvings that were attached to the front desk. Though I spent more than I wanted to, I'm glad I got something, and those were my faves. It was interesting to walk around the whole building, and see all of the back rooms and hallways that I hadn't seen before. All of the carved trim in the Lani Kai lounge was not auctioned off, so I think that may end up at one of those stores that dismantles buildings and recycles the materials. I'm not sure what company is doing the actual dismantling.

View Profile of puamana Send a personal message to puamana      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
puamana
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-27 09:27 am   Permalink

Yesterday's Zippy the Pinhead comic in the Seattle P-I newspaper paid tribute to Leilani Lanes :

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/fun/zippy.asp?date=20060426

Many thanks to Larry for letting me know about it !

View Profile of puamana Send a personal message to puamana      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrsmiley
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-27 4:14 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-04-27 09:27, puamana wrote:
Yesterday's Zippy the Pinhead comic in the Seattle P-I newspaper paid tribute to Leilani Lanes :

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/fun/zippy.asp?date=20060426

Many thanks to Larry for letting me know about it !

Here it is ;

View Profile of mrsmiley Send a personal message to mrsmiley  Email mrsmiley Goto the website of mrsmiley     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dogbytes

Posted: 2007-05-16 10:31 am   Permalink

an estate sale find from Leilani Lanes, a Bowler's kit, towel, wrist support and luggage tag. i love the tiki with legs. even though its a little bit creepy. i think i'll put it in a shadowbox to display in our tiki room.

TorchGuy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-26 04:52 am   Permalink

I visited Leilani a few times, and these shots are obviously after a late remodel. When I was there in the early '00s, the paint shades were darker and more muted, the bar was very dark (and the heavily carved shelf unit was still there) and the backing screens over the bowling pins' areas had the standard oval, but with a plastic tiki head (all identical) instead of a Brunswick crown covering the strike light! The lobby fountain was empty, and had only a lone standpipe in the center. However, the bar's fireplace was seriously cool - the six chains hold both the hood and the same-shaped fire support, which is a thick wood frame with a big plate of smoked glass set in it, at the middle of which sits the trough with lava rock and gas fire. The waterfall beneath still worked then, and was lit by a green floodlight. The bar had no Polynesian drinks, but they had good, cheap food. It was a cool place back then, to be sure - looks like its last days saw a bad remodeling.

Two really sad things here: One, the developer tore it down a while ago. To this day, the site is a vacant lot.

And two, as for the former owners' other alley, Sunset Bowl in Ballard: "We have no plans to close it"? They DID do a big remodel there at the end of last year.

A month ago, they sold it and it closed. Bleah. Real estate values in Allard are skyrocketing, and everyone wants to build condos. Across from Sunset Bowl was a massive building, a Denny's for many years, with an amazing Polynesian roofline. I've no clue what it once was, but the Denny's is gone, and the neighborhood is rallying to save the building, against the developer who seems to be throwing more and more money at it, hoping to eventually outweigh any claims of historical importance with sheer volumes of cash. I never saw any tiki decor inside, it was the blandest variant on the cheesy "Denny's Diner" remodels of the 90s where Denny's tried to suddenly switch from 60s coffee shop to fake-50s diner decor. But knock down those false drop ceilings, and who knows what's hiding in the rafters...

View Profile of TorchGuy Send a personal message to TorchGuy  Email TorchGuy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation