FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events Other Events Tiki Terrace grand opening - week of November 8
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )
Tiki Terrace grand opening - week of November 8
ManoKoa
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-11-13 7:51 pm   Permalink

We just got back from our seating. I took more pics than this but here is stuff I wanted to add.

Mrs. Mano w/ a drink which has a name but we only recalled the "paralysis" part. We were supposed to share it but I think I only had 2 sips.

Tiki wall
(tried my best to brace the camera while setting the exposure time between 1 and 1.5 seconds.)

Check out the big umbrella on the Mango drink.

I didn't get around to getting a pic of the HUGE tiki to the right of the stage but you will just have to see it. It's ~da kine~.

Big Mahaloz to the Zuziacs and Gwen for providing such an amazing eating experience with Lopako (sp?) playin the smoooove Hawaiian kine tunes. Our server, Richard, and 2 other wahines danced the hukilau up on stage and Gwen got out to show her style too with a few other songs.

The food for the opening was salad, soup, (imu) pig, rice (stiky kine), macaroni salad, and maki rolls; all of which were tasty. Word has it they will have more luau type food which I'm completely stoked about, and more of which I can't wait to check out.

The place is decked out solid with OA weapons interspersed w/ the tikis and wall space. There is even more decor in the works from what has been said, but you can already see the amount of big aloha that went into the Terrace and it's an honor to have been part of the opening.

[ This Message was edited by: ManoKoa 2005-11-13 19:53 ]

View Profile of ManoKoa Send a personal message to ManoKoa  Email ManoKoa     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kalani
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-11-14 11:55 am   Permalink

I would like to offer my apologies to anyone that was affected by reservation problems. This was my error and I WILL make it up to you if you would allow. Please send me a personal message and I will take care of you if you were affected by reservation complications.

To everyone that attended, mahalo! I hope to see you all again... and next time, I will have more time to hang out!

Thanks for all the encouragement and good wishes! And sorry if I came across "not all there"... The sleep deprivation was really getting to me Thursday night.

And Derwins awesome Tiki Necklaces are now in stock at Tik Terrace! Get em while they last! Thanks Derwin.

Mahalo once again!
Scott

View Profile of Kalani Send a personal message to Kalani  Email Kalani Goto the website of Kalani     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Flange
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-14 12:20 pm   Permalink

I was there Sat. night for the early seating. I worked my way through all the drinks on the menu except one.

The gin and grape juice based drink was a combo I never would have thought of and it was fantastic.

I'll echo everyone else's comments - the food, music and decor was great. I'm looking forward to bringing the kids next time, as they are also big tiki culture fans.

Thanks for the great evening!

View Profile of Tiki Flange Send a personal message to Tiki Flange  Email Tiki Flange     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
alohashirtbob
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2005-11-14 5:18 pm   Permalink

I was at the Tiki Terrace on Sunday, The decor is the best I have seen in the numerous Tiki bars I have been to. In the midwest there is no ocean or weather to help one out. They have really put a lot of work and talent into the place. I thought the food served at the grand opening (free served banquet style) was certainly good for what it was. I am interested in buying an entre off the regular menue.

I enjoyed my Mai Tais. A pineapple slice would of made it perfect. The bar is close to the stage but you sit with your back to the entertainemnt. Swivle chairs would be a nice addition. Please contact the Kona Brewery and get some kegs of HI beer!!

All in all I had a fun evening at the Terrace. It is definately a place to check out when in the Chicago area. Any chance of open Uke night? That can backfire though. I have seen open mike nights go bad sending patrons fleeing in horror covering their ears.

RR

View Profile of alohashirtbob Send a personal message to alohashirtbob  Email alohashirtbob     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
exotica59
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-15 07:36 am   Permalink

Gosh Scott I think you did a great job! I was there on Thursday and it was great meeting you. I loved the cozy hut room that we had. No apologies are needed.
Try and find time for some sleep.

View Profile of exotica59 Send a personal message to exotica59  Email exotica59     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-15 09:31 am   Permalink

hey tikibars...any chance of starting up taboo tiki nights at the tiki terrace once a month again?? I know it's sort of a haul outta the city but i don't think you will run into the friction that was happening over at the traders......

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lake Surfer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-15 10:10 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-11-15 09:31, Tipsy McStagger wrote:
hey tikibars...any chance of starting up taboo tiki nights at the tiki terrace once a month again?? I know it's sort of a haul outta the city but i don't think you will run into the friction that was happening over at the traders......

I'd be in for that for sure!
Live carving on stage...
JT playing the tunes...
Hula dancers...

It would be fun to get the tiki artists together to bring their work to the public...
Especially with the holiday gift buying season coming up

View Profile of Lake Surfer Send a personal message to Lake Surfer      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-15 1:26 pm   Permalink

..precisely!....

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
snowboundtiki

Posted: 2005-11-15 1:36 pm   Permalink

I was there on the first night and what a nice getaway it was. I think people giving criticism is the best thing for Tiki Terrace. Being in the restaurant business for 30 years the only way to improve is to know what's wrong. I see so many new places open and service is a huge problem. It is so refreshing to get a great server which does not happen often. I have no idea what it was like the nights that followed, but here are some pointers. I felt the servers could have given more interaction. There was none. The courses should have been introduced instead of me having to grab the menu each time. Dishes and glasses piled up on the table and courses were not served complete to the table sometimes having to wait 10 minutes for everyone at our table to get served. We got to meet Scott when he graciously gave us a ride back to our hotel, but he should have made the rounds right away and introduced himself. I hope this helps and I will be back. Good Luck!

View Profile of snowboundtiki Send a personal message to snowboundtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Flange
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-15 1:54 pm   Permalink

FWIW, I went on Saturday, and those problems (at least with my server) had been cleared up.

The first round of drinks took a while to get to the table, but then I'm a boozer, so I get ancy about stuff like that.

View Profile of Tiki Flange Send a personal message to Tiki Flange  Email Tiki Flange     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ManoKoa
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-11-15 3:45 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-11-15 09:31, Tipsy McStagger wrote:

Nice one braddah - - -

View Profile of ManoKoa Send a personal message to ManoKoa  Email ManoKoa     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-15 7:20 pm   Permalink

Wow, seems like you guys really want to see the return of TabuTiki nights! I am touched (sniff).

Trader Vic's originally came to me with the idea and asked me to put it together. As you know, it was the Palmer House's new management, not anyone at TVs that sabotaged the event's longevity. Now... If some other new Tiki Bar - say, for instance, one in Prospect Heights - wants to adopt the orphaned TTN, they can ask!

JT

View Profile of tikibars Send a personal message to tikibars  Email tikibars Goto the website of tikibars     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kalani
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-11-20 5:20 pm   Permalink

Sorry for the delay with the reply... Thanks everyone for the criticism. I know that it is all constructive, and I thank you for your understanding as we work to make this a better tiki bar!

Scott

View Profile of Kalani Send a personal message to Kalani  Email Kalani Goto the website of Kalani     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation