FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Mai Kai in bad shape following Wilma
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Mai Kai in bad shape following Wilma
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-26 11:01 pm   Permalink

Arrrrrrrrrrr!!!

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki_kiliki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-27 06:28 am   Permalink

I just spoke with Pia and she wanted me to let everyone know that they are so thankful for all of your thoughts. She also wanted me to let everyone know that the cleaup has already started. TikiGardener - I told her of the auction effort and she said she would pass that along to Dave. And in the words of Dave Levy "it's not that bad". I know it looks like it but they feel it can all be rebuilt.

Pia is calling Dave for an update for me so that I can inform everyone and let you know the status. Of course tons of the media is calling her with the same questions. An official statement will be given later today and she will call me and I'll pass that along to you.

I of course asked Pia how her house made it as so many of us had such a great time on the Home Bar Tour. She said her back yard is pretty much gone. The roofing over the grill has been taken off. All of her trees except for one have been snapped into and she's choosing to laugh right now rather than cry. She also said that I will be shocked once I return home, things are pretty bad.

She also said for no one to come down right now. It's too devastating and you wouldn't be able to get out anyway because there is no gas or either it's hard to find. Also, there's not a traffic light left in the streets of Ft. Lauderdale. (this according to theARTFINK as well)

I appreciate the posting on the rebuild and I will get in touch with you! If anyone else is interested in assisting the Mai Kai in rebuilding after the cleanup, PM me and I'll get the information to Pia & Kern.

The World of Tiki Kiliki

[ This Message was edited by: tiki_kiliki 2005-10-27 06:30 ]

View Profile of tiki_kiliki Send a personal message to tiki_kiliki  Email tiki_kiliki Goto the website of tiki_kiliki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrsmiley
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2005-10-27 09:40 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-10-27 06:28, tiki_kiliki wrote: Also, there's not a traffic light left in the streets of Ft. Lauderdale.

Yes, it seems they are all ON the streets!! ps-I wonder how many of those are ending up in people's bars and backyards!

If you like it, it is ZAZZ! If you don't it is RAZZ!

View Profile of mrsmiley Send a personal message to mrsmiley  Email mrsmiley Goto the website of mrsmiley     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrsmiley

Posted: 2005-10-27 09:49 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-10-26 21:51, tikivixen wrote:We will be there cheering for that 50th anniversary. The Tiki Party to end all Tiki Parties!!! It WILL happen.

Mai Kai forever,

tikivixen

No, WE don't want an end to Tiki parties! How about "the Mai_kai 50th Anniversary, the tiki party that sets the standard for future parties!"
If you like it, it is ZAZZ! If you don't it is RAZZ!

View Profile of mrsmiley Send a personal message to mrsmiley  Email mrsmiley Goto the website of mrsmiley     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki_kiliki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-27 10:01 am   Permalink

Pia asked that I post a statement here on behalf of the Mai Kai. I just spoke to her and she had the latest news:

The Mai Kai is completely intact on the inside. Yes, the outside sustained a good bit of damage but the debris along the front of the Mai Kai is now cleared away and they are working on the roof as we speak. The phones are still unoperational and the power has not yet been restored. As soon as the power and phones are up so is the Mai Kai.

She will let me know of any details but did ask that I once again thank everyone for their thoughts and concerns. The Mai Kai has survived!!

The Hukilau

View Profile of tiki_kiliki Send a personal message to tiki_kiliki  Email tiki_kiliki Goto the website of tiki_kiliki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab

Posted: 2005-10-27 11:27 am   Permalink

Thank you tiki-kiliki and Pia for keeping us posted. I'm extremely relieved the Mai-Kai wasn't damaged beyond repair, and I'm happy that nobody was hurt by falling trees and street lights! It could have been much worse. Here's hoping you and other residents get their power back on soon and that things can return to normal.

See you next year!

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
WenikiTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-27 12:16 pm   Permalink

Hi to All!

I've been through typhoons, hurricanes, tornado's and in Guam a Super-typhoon. (Winds 185 mph with gusts to 214 - when the meter pegged out) Anyway I can't come help anyone, much as I'D LIKE. Hawaii isn't close to anything....

HOWEVER, my oldest son is attending the Professional Mariner Training at Stuart, Florida. They have been without power since the eye went over. If anyone is close enough to him to pick him up I am sure he would help with some clean-up efforts. He is 20, and a like able boy. I call him Tattoo Boy now, but his name is Victor.

PM me and I will give you his cell phone number. There are also a bunch of others there in the class, you might be able to keep some of them busy, too. (Very important after such a storm!)

Thanks,

WenikiTiki

[ This Message was edited by: WenikiTiki 2005-10-27 12:17 ]

View Profile of WenikiTiki Send a personal message to WenikiTiki  Email WenikiTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pappythesailor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-27 12:54 pm   Permalink

Yeah, me too. If anyone wants to pick me up and bring me to the Mai Kai, I'll rake leaves there. Oak leaves, palm leaves--whatever.

View Profile of pappythesailor Send a personal message to pappythesailor  Goto the website of pappythesailor     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
donhonyc
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-27 2:24 pm   Permalink

Quote:

The Mai Kai has survived!!

Hallelujah!!

View Profile of donhonyc Send a personal message to donhonyc      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
amiotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-27 5:10 pm   Permalink

Thanks so much Tiki Kiliki and all you Floridians for keeping us posted on the condition of the Mai Kai. I wasn't able to make it to Hukilau this year, but next year - ABSOLUTELY POSITIVELY my daughter and I will be there for the 50th Anniversary!

I hope that you all find zero to minimal damage to your homes when you are able to return to them. Words of comfort seem so feeble right now - but know that our hearts are with you all, and "things" can always be replaced - we're just joyful and thankful that you are safe.

Huge hugs to you...

amiotiki

View Profile of amiotiki Send a personal message to amiotiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTikiTavi

Posted: 2005-10-29 1:23 pm   Permalink

I asked a friend who lives about half an hour North of the Mai Kai if he had time to get down there and check it out in person. He says getting around is terrible because all of the traffic lights are out and many are just gone. Every intersection has become a 4-way stop sign and it takes forever just to go a short distance and if you need gas, plan on sitting in line for a few hours.

View Profile of TikiTikiTavi Send a personal message to TikiTikiTavi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Elvis-from-Hell

Posted: 2005-10-31 2:13 pm   Permalink

I stopped by the Mai Kai myself last Thursday and spoke with the owner's daughter who was helping with the clean up. It's fine. They lost the remaining thatching on the roof, a small hut-like building on the outside used to house some mechanical equipment, and the "M" on the sign blew off (it's now the "ai Kai") but nothing major at all. The interior is fine as well as the gardens - no damage there at all.

They're ready to open as soon as the power's back on and they can start receiving deliveries (food, liquor and such).

No biggie.

On the other hand, Ft. Lauderdale itself is a white-line, Mad Maxian nightmare. No power, no drinkable water, nightly curfews, fights for gasoline ("the juice, the precious juice!") - and after dark when the Morlocks come out of hiding no one's safe. Anarchy reigns! For-the-love-of-god, save yourself, man, and get out while you can!

What's needed most right now is gasoline, ammo and D cell batteries - in that order.

It'll be dark soon . . . must find shelter . . . must find shelter.

Wait! What's that?!? Oh-my-god . . . . . ! Aaaaaahhhhhhhhhh! Hellllpppppppppp! Aaaaahhhhhhhh!

View Profile of Elvis-from-Hell Send a personal message to Elvis-from-Hell      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
donhonyc
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-31 2:28 pm   Permalink

Quote:

Wait! What's that?!? Oh-my-god . . . . . ! Aaaaaahhhhhhhhhh! Hellllpppppppppp! Aaaaahhhhhhhh!

Cute Donny...real cute.

View Profile of donhonyc Send a personal message to donhonyc      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki_kiliki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-31 4:11 pm   Permalink

I just got home last night and decided to take an exit just North of the Mai Kai to drive by and I'm not gonna lie folks - it's scary. The Mad Max references are funny but true. Really, really, scary. People have no patience whatsoever and it's a very "end of the world" mentality. So many wonderful homes are gone from my neighborhood.

So much of the mid-century hotels are ruined. Signs that we all love are gone. The Gateway Theatre lost some letters and signage. I took US1 all the way home and it is really devastating here. My place is ok. And I am very thankful.

When coming past the Mai Kai last night I could see straight through to the Molokai - I would say they lost a bit but it's still there.

The word is that they will re-open tomorrow night. I'll be there to toast them all!! I'll let everyone know tomorrow if this is the case - hope to see everyone there.

The World of Tiki Kiliki

[ This Message was edited by: tiki_kiliki 2005-10-31 16:13 ]

thejab

Posted: 2005-10-31 4:46 pm   Permalink

I can't believe it may reopen so soon. That is good news indeed.

However, the news about all the mid-century buildings and signs that were damaged is heartbreaking.

On my road trip before Hukilau I couldn't believe how many old motels were damaged, boarded up, and fenced off in Daytona Beach, probably from the hurricane last year.

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation