FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Kona Club, Oakland, CA (bar)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
Kona Club, Oakland, CA (bar)
KAHAKA
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-12 11:03 pm   Permalink

I dropped off some lamps at the Kona tonight, and I must say, HOT SH#$, this place is beyond amazing! I tripped over my chin the entire time I was there.

View Profile of KAHAKA Send a personal message to KAHAKA  Email KAHAKA Goto the website of KAHAKA     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-bot
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-13 4:54 pm   Permalink

See this thread for opening info:

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=17650&forum=4&0

Can't wait to see Kahaka's lamps. I'm so happy you were able to do some for the room(s).

View Profile of Tiki-bot Send a personal message to Tiki-bot  Email Tiki-bot     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
trader jess

Posted: 2005-12-14 10:29 pm   Permalink

does any one know if its opening on the 17th

View Profile of trader jess Send a personal message to trader jess  Goto the website of trader jess ICQ status     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-bot
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-15 10:12 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-12-14 22:29, trader jess wrote:
does any one know if its opening on the 17th

What about the above link that says "opening on the 17th" has you confused?

View Profile of Tiki-bot Send a personal message to Tiki-bot  Email Tiki-bot     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-bot
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-15 10:37 am   Permalink

See pics of the club from last night's preview party:

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=17671&forum=4&0

trader jess

Posted: 2005-12-15 4:43 pm   Permalink

no it doesnt have me freakin confuse it did say rummmmor. so i wasnt sure.

View Profile of trader jess Send a personal message to trader jess  Goto the website of trader jess ICQ status     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
gmporter

Posted: 2005-12-15 9:54 pm   Permalink

I've been to Kona Club!!!

My partner and I were driving by, and saw a hand-scrawled "Open" sign on the door. Hoping beyond hope, we walked in, and were amazed. This place is awe-some! A giant volcano hangs above the bar (and they made it "erupt" while we were there--a really cool effect). Blowfish lamps, bamboo everywhere, well placed spears, and nice touches all around.

The bar is quite large--a long bar, high tables and chairs in the main area. A side room with a pool table (perhaps to cater to ex-King's ex visitors?) There is a second, larger room with many 4-person tables. The staff was friendly, and the bartender made us two very delicious Mai Tai's. Apparently they don't have the glassware yet, but it promises to be quite authentic. The bartender said there would be flaming drinks in the near future.

There were many large Tiki statues, paintings, and details. The jukebox wasn't really playing exotica music or the like, but it didn't really matter.

All in all, a great new tiki bar just steps away from Trader Vic's final resting place (he's buried next door!)

See you all there...

View Profile of gmporter Send a personal message to gmporter      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-15 11:05 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-12-15 16:43, trader jess wrote:
No it doesn't have me freakin confused it did say "rumor." So, I wasn't sure.

Aloha Trader Jess,

Sorry for the confusion. The Grand Opening will be on 12/17 starting around 6-ish. Dancing by
http://www.Mahea.com will be happening later in the eve on Sat. I just found out today while I was there working that they are open tonight, tomorrow night and every night after that too. I guess it's kinda the old school Hawaiian kinda way of doing things. Cruz on by and check it out this Sat., introduce yourself to me and my wife and we'll buy you a drink.

Cheers,

Bamboo Ben

p.s. GM,

Glad you liked it. There is more to come in the future.

[ This Message was edited by: RevBambooBen 2005-12-15 23:12 ]

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
trader jess

Posted: 2005-12-16 8:02 pm   Permalink

whooo hoo,cant wait i will be there tommorow night

KAHAKA
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-06 5:16 pm   Permalink

Anybody know the hours for the weekend? I wanna stop by Sat. during the day!

View Profile of KAHAKA Send a personal message to KAHAKA  Email KAHAKA Goto the website of KAHAKA     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hanford_lemoore
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-24 5:20 pm   Permalink

Quick trip report:

last time I was there, there was a TV installed over the bar, blazing away and ruining the lighting. Ugh.

View Profile of hanford_lemoore Send a personal message to hanford_lemoore  Goto the website of hanford_lemoore     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-bot
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-24 6:04 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-01-06 17:16, KAHAKA wrote:
Anybody know the hours for the weekend? I wanna stop by Sat. during the day!

That article about the Kona in the paper recently said it opens 11am every day. If that's wrong, blame the press.

Robertiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-27 11:02 am   Permalink

Went to Oakland's Kona Club, mixed feelings
Message body: I had the unfortunate experience of having to buy a stereo recently. The pimpled sales geek went on and on how a system is only as good as it's weakest component; the cheap speakers can't handle the power from a good amp.

So I found myself in Oakland this last week, armed with a map looking for the Kona Club.

There is no sign outside. The owner never changed the old "King's X" sign from it's old incarnation.

Inside, it is beautiful. The craft work of putting it all together is quite obvious. The volcano behind the bar is a kick.

even the crossbeams in the rafters have been tikified* . Just taking in the ambiance was worth the trip.

However, my tiki experience isn't complete without a nice drink.

This is where things go awry. There are no mugs. There are no bowl. The bartender, as friendly as he was didn't have a menu, and instead handed me an employee drink recipe book and had me pick from there. The wife was served a drink in a chimney, me, my POG+vodka in a martini glass.

I hope they work out their kinks, because I really wanted to enjoy the whole experience, and get rid of the Eminem on the jukebox.

View Profile of Robertiki Send a personal message to Robertiki  Email Robertiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-27 11:16 am   Permalink

The thing to understand about the Kona Club is that it is what it is. The owner, Doug Miller, wasn't trying to open a Polynesian Pop tiki bar in the vintage style. He and his family live in Hawaii half the year, his wife is very active in hula, and he's been collecting related artwork, some of it vintage Poly-Pop, for a very long time. He likes Poly-Pop tiki, he likes traditional Hawaiian stuff, and he likes owning & running bars. This bar is a combination of all three of those. He's smart enough to know that he wants to cater to his already-established bar clientele, the people who have made him very, very successful, the people who keep Club Mallard packed night after night. That's why you'll hear a large variety of stuff on the jukebox, and why beer outsells cocktails, and why cocktails are very hit-and-miss. The fact is, it's a very successful formula for him, and it's the sort of bar he wanted. It's his bar, and he loves it, and it's doing great business, which is awesome. The reason it isn't quite right as a vintage-style tiki bar is that it's not supposed to be one.

Is it the sort of place I would want to hang out regularly? No. But that's okay, I'm not Doug's target audience. It would be silly of me to hold that against the place. I think it's gorgeous, and it's easy to say "argh! if only!", but it's not my bar.

Re: tiki mugs & serveware -- those suckers walk right out the door. I think it's neat when places offer a mug for *sale* that customers can have their drink served in, but unless you overcharge for drinks to make up for the inevitable loss of mugs, they just aren't practical for serving out of. Of the places I've been that offer the best-tasting drinks, many don't serve in tiki mugs -- Tiki-Ti leaps to mind. If it's important to you, try bringing your own and ask to have your drink served in it.

Critiki - Critiki News - Ooga-Mooga

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2006-02-27 11:53 am   Permalink

Robertiki - There are already 2 threads discussing Kona Club, one in the Locating Tiki Forums, and one in the Creating Tiki Forums, in both threads people have been providing their reviews. Perhaps you might post your observations in one of those threads.

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=17039&forum=2&hilite=kona
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=17473&forum=7&hilite=kona

[ This Message was edited by: thejab 2006-02-27 11:55 ]

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation