FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Kona Club, Oakland, CA (bar)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
Kona Club, Oakland, CA (bar)
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-27 2:07 pm   Permalink

What I don't get is that nowadays people seem to expect and DEMAND that Tiki bars serve their cocktails in Tiki mugs! Totally forgotten is the fact that four years ago there was not ONE new Tiki bar to be found, that five years ago there were NO Tiki mugs being manufactured at all (except by Bosko). Holden has since worked wonders with Tiki Farm in spreading Tiki culture awareness, AND offering it at an affordable level, but for many the investment in decorating the place alone taps them out. There was a TIKI DESERT out there for ten/twenty years! Be grateful for ANY honest attempt at opening a new Tiki Bar!

It's like taking the Book of Tiki and saying "Hey, you guys don't have a waterfall!"
Is there any awareness that 90% of the Tiki temples in the book did not exist anymore when it was published, and now that it's closer to 98% now?

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2006-02-27 2:35 pm   Permalink

Holden may be able to confirm this, I believe mugs for the Kona have been ordered.

It's just that Doug operates Hawaiian style: it will get done, no worries, hey, look at that sunset!

The Kona Club (and all Doug's bars) have superb service, fresh citrus, and skilled bartenders. Bring a recipe, and if they have the ingredients they will make it! How many bars do that for you, and with a smile?

As far as music goes, there are at least a dozen Hawaiian CDs on the jukebox. Frankly, I don't know much about contemporary Hawaiian music, but if Eminem is bothering you (as it would me) why don't you play something else on the jukebox?

I have been a tiki bar purist in the past (read my old posts on Taboo Cove), but I am thrilled to have the Kona Club in my area, and always enjoy myself (perhaps a bit too much!) when I visit it.

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-27 2:45 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-02-27 14:07, bigbrotiki wrote:
five years ago there were NO Tiki mugs being manufactured at all (except by Bosko)

...and Dynasty, who did, and still do, keep some of the classic Orchids of Hawaii styles alive at a very affordable price.

Cheap enough, in fact, that I think that occasional theft aside, they are a very viable alternative for those bar owners who aren't afford to use Tiki Farms frequently astounding (but yes, more expensive) products.

Humu's comments justifying not using mugs because of the theft factor makes me sad. I wonder if this is more prevalent now than in the 1960s, when virtualy all Tiki bars used Tiki mugs?

View Profile of tikibars Send a personal message to tikibars  Email tikibars Goto the website of tikibars     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-27 3:05 pm   Permalink

You're right jt, I don't know the economics of bar-running; it may not be prohibitively expensive, and theft may not be that big an issue. I'm probably being overly pessimistic there. I do suspect that the economies of the 50s & 60s might have made tiki mug production a relatively less expensive thing back then than it is today. But again -- talking out of my ass.

What I *do* know is that while tiki mug = good, I've never turned my nose up at a great drink served out of a chimney, while I have turned my nose up at a mediocre drink served out of a tiki mug. But hey, personal priorities & preference -- just as Doug is entitled to run his bar how he wants, Robertiki is entitled to have his own opinions on how with some changes it could be more to his own tastes.

Jab's points are good -- there is some great music in that jukebox, you just have to ask for it. And the bartenders are very friendly, and willing to try.

Dammit, why doesn't my living room have a waterfall!?

Critiki - Critiki News - Ooga-Mooga

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-27 3:28 pm   Permalink

I gotta have more waterfalls.

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Scott McGerik

Posted: 2006-02-27 5:43 pm   Permalink

Quote:

bigbrotiki wrote:
What I don't get is that nowadays people seem to expect and DEMAND that Tiki bars serve their cocktails in Tiki mugs!

Who is demanding "Tiki bars serve their cocktails in Tiki mugs"? I have not read everything that Robertiki has posted on TC but I don't recall him demanding tiki mugs.

View Profile of Scott McGerik Send a personal message to Scott McGerik  Goto the website of Scott McGerik     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Scott McGerik

Posted: 2006-02-27 5:45 pm   Permalink

Quote:

Humuhumu wrote:
The thing to understand about the Kona Club is that it is what it is. ... The reason it isn't quite right as a vintage-style tiki bar is that it's not supposed to be one.

There are a few on this forum who could learn a few things from Humuhumu on how to respond to those of us needing guidance. Humuhumu is correcting while being gentle.

View Profile of Scott McGerik Send a personal message to Scott McGerik  Goto the website of Scott McGerik     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kono
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-27 5:50 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-02-27 17:43, ScottMcGerik wrote:
Who is demanding "Tiki bars serve their cocktails in Tiki mugs"? I have not read everything that Robertiki has posted on TC but I don't recall him demanding tiki mugs.

Quote:

On 2006-02-27 11:02, Robertiki wrote:
However, my tiki experience isn't complete without a nice drink.

This is where things go awry. There are no mugs. There are no bowl. The bartender, as friendly as he was didn't have a menu, and instead handed me an employee drink recipe book and had me pick from there. The wife was served a drink in a chimney, me, my POG+vodka in a martini glass.

I believe that is what Sven was referring to.

View Profile of Kono Send a personal message to Kono  Email Kono Goto the website of Kono     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-27 6:18 pm   Permalink

I personally would love to have the Kona Club in my neighborhood. At least it sounds like the bartenders are accomodating in trying to make the drinks you and I want without losing their existing customers. That's a win for the owners and a win for the customers. What I don't understand is a fairly new place like Waitiki in Orlando that looks great and obviously spent a fair amount of money on decor, but really only excels at serving beer. They had no existing customers to keep happy (unless there was something else at that location that I'm not aware of). So in this case, what motivates the owner to theme the decor around tiki? Would his customers really care if the wall art was Shag or NASCAR? I don't think so. That's the perplexing thing. Maybe when the place first opened, the drinks were much better and economics forced him to cut back. I don't know. Someone enlighten me if you do.

I didn't mean to shift the focus of this thread onto another bar. I was just using my local bar as a specific example in my general inquiry. Disclaimer over.

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Scott McGerik

Posted: 2006-02-27 6:23 pm   Permalink

Quote:

Kono wrote:
Quote:

ScottMcGerik wrote:

Quote:

Robertiki wrote:
However, my tiki experience isn't complete without a nice drink.

This is where things go awry. There are no mugs. There are no bowl. The bartender, as friendly as he was didn't have a menu, and instead handed me an employee drink recipe book and had me pick from there. The wife was served a drink in a chimney, me, my POG+vodka in a martini glass.

I believe that is what Sven was referring to.

That is hardly a demand. I see it as an expression of dissatisfaction.

Kono
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-27 6:36 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-02-27 18:23, ScottMcGerik wrote:
That is hardly a demand. I see it as an expression of dissatisfaction.

Perception is a funny thing. Sven perceived it as a demand for satisfaction, you perceived it as an expression of dissatisfaction. Go figure. Too nuanced for me.

GatorRob. Yes, Waitiki sucks. When I first spied this thread my first thought was: "At least you don't have Waitiki!"

The guy who owns Waitiki (Joel) has several bars in that Wall Street Cantina plaza type area. I've heard that he's a stand up guy, but honestly, he's all about getting the young downtown "professionals" drunk and hooked up. He's successful with that formula. The decor is just an aside, and actually it's semi-admirable that he did as good a job as he paid for. It could've been any other "flavor of the moment" type decor but he decided to do Tiki. He did a great job with the decor but the atmosphere is nil. Could've just as easily been a pirate bar or anything else.

View Profile of Kono Send a personal message to Kono  Email Kono Goto the website of Kono     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-27 8:03 pm   Permalink

Being that Doug doesn't post much here, I'll take a stab at it for him.

" Hmmmm. Check out that Sunset!!"

---
Now, this is the way I look at it.

" It's a work in progress! No worries bruddah!"
---------

p.s.

It's like vacationing in Hanalei compared to Waikiki. And who needs a sign when there's a street address?

Arrrrr!!!

[ This Message was edited by: revbambooben 2006-02-28 08:50 ]

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chongolio
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-27 8:57 pm   Permalink

Ok I am gonna ask this question of y'all. What would you rather have no tiki or some tiki even if it is what you may consider off the mark? I am not trying to be a wise guy or a smart ass. I would think that if they are making and effort and it's the only place close to you that represents, that would be better than a having to do your drinkin' at a dive or a sports bar.
Your tiki diggin' brother,
Chongolio

Chongolio.com
Stoke & Flow
Facebook

View Profile of Chongolio Send a personal message to Chongolio  Email Chongolio Goto the website of Chongolio     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrs. pineapple
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-27 9:06 pm   Permalink

The wife was served a drink in a chimney, me, my POG+vodka in a martini glass.

what is this drink? what type of glass should a POG + vodka be served in?

I ordered a Gilligan's Island or some such thing (I'll admit it, Jab recommended it, Mr. Pineapple bought it, I drank it!) and it was delish!

I don't know, I kind of agree with Sven, quit yer bellyachin'
Seriously, there are 2 other threads on this board that address the "why does the sign still say Kings X" the bartender/drink menu/lack of or future of tiki mugs issue has also been discussed, at length on these threads and the work in progress aspect has also been duly noted. I think Robert hit a nerve because if he had spent a little time reading through the other threads about the Kona, he wouldn't have been disappointed. It is kind of annoying to see a place we're all pretty excited about sort of nit-picked on a new thread, when all the nit-picky stuff has been addressed elsewhere.

View Profile of mrs. pineapple Send a personal message to mrs. pineapple      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-27 9:08 pm   Permalink

I guess I was too harsh, guys. Who cares about the historical and economical perspective. From now on, if a nouveaux Tiki bar does not have matching logo matchbooks and swizzle sticks, I will not consider it authentic.

Sigh. This might be a shock to some: The Book of Tiki is a piece of mythology. I resurrected a world that had fallen into ruin and made it rise up in the eye of the beholder as a perfect universe. Fact is, it never existed like that. It was flawed and frayed and...human. By picking the best imagery, artifacts and tidbits of stories from the past I created a distorted manipulation of reality, a paradise without the eternal sin. What we seek is the myth, but that is not a bad thing. We need myths to inspire us, and to make us want to create, look how far it has brought us happy "perfect paradise" seekers!

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2006-02-27 21:36 ]

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation