FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Kona Club, Oakland, CA (bar)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
Kona Club, Oakland, CA (bar)
danlovestikis
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-02-27 9:15 pm   Permalink

Hey There Sven (bigbrotiki) I'm really learning how to navigate and I found you again! It's amazing that you have time with the movie and a book on Witco coming out. When is that by the way? Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-27 9:41 pm   Permalink

Wendy! Not here and not now! You are such a TC newbie

I know, I SHOULD be watching the last edit of the movie I am shooting to tell my director my opinion, and send the last texts to my art director in LA, and get ready for work, and...bye now!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-bot
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-27 10:37 pm   Permalink

Wow, after many an attempted thread-jack, I'll return to the point at hand.

Robertiki is a bit of a

I agree - what is a POG & vodka and why should it be served in a tiki mug?

View Profile of Tiki-bot Send a personal message to Tiki-bot  Email Tiki-bot     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-02-28 05:38 am   Permalink

I had some matches made for my restaurant, Here they are. I wanted them to be cool so I had them embossed. You never see that any more. Now I know why. They cost $700.00 dollars! For 1 case. And I came up with the design. So now add glasses,napkins,swizzles. It all adds up. Not to mention the time it takes to get these things made. Plus tiki stuff must fly out the door. How many swizzles did you get last time you were at trader vic's?

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tangaroa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-28 06:49 am   Permalink

We had a BLAST at the Kona Club!!!!

Really - I'm amazed that anyone would complain about any new tiki bar in a world where they just don't exist any more... Bamboo Ben totally outdid himself, and the bartenders were the nicest I've ever encountered! The drinks were good (I think Hanford called them "Planet of the Apes") & the erupting volcano was really cool!

Honestly - you guys in Oakland are lucky....

More pix (and Trader Vics) here:
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=18142&forum=4&vpost=217250

View Profile of Tangaroa Send a personal message to Tangaroa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Robertiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-28 10:13 am   Permalink

Ok, ok.
Mugs not all that.

The fact that there wasn't a drink menu was odd to me.

When asked for one, I was given an employee manual.

The fact that armed with mapquest, it was difficult to find without an exterior sign, not a missing sign, but a sign that lied and said the name of another establishment.

All in all, I really am glad I stopped there. The design was breathtaking, Very obvious that a lot of care was placed in constructing the place.

View Profile of Robertiki Send a personal message to Robertiki  Email Robertiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2006-02-28 10:49 am   Permalink

Robertiki - If you had searched for previous topics discussing the Kona Club you would have found previous mention of the lack of a drink menu, mugs, and signage. Please use the search tool - that's what it's there for.

The most important thing to the owner was getting the decor finished and opening the doors so that he could make a profit as soon as possible (which typically doesn't happen for a long time, if ever, with bars and restaurants). Keeping the bar closed and unused until a sign was made, mugs arrived, etc. wouldn't have made much sense, would it?

And I have to ask too: What's wrong with serving a vodka and Pomegranate in a cocktail glass?

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
crazy al
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-28 11:29 am   Permalink

i think all have missed the point here...

Robertiki had great eye and taste to point out the hand painted support beems.....

tappa till you drop......

hope to see some locals at Kona this week??? see different post

View Profile of crazy al Send a personal message to crazy al  Email crazy al Goto the website of crazy al     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
alohabros
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-28 11:52 am   Permalink

... the place is great...

... the bamboo guy who was working on the place helped a friend repair her vehicle during his lunch break... really went out of his way to do a good deed... need more people like that...

View Profile of alohabros Send a personal message to alohabros      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
crazy al
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-28 12:02 pm   Permalink

oh... i for got.... they do need 'chalk board paint' walls in the men's room. There a bambooish place in Laguna that has it and it comes in handy.

View Profile of crazy al Send a personal message to crazy al  Email crazy al Goto the website of crazy al     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-28 12:07 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-02-27 22:37, Tiki-bot wrote:
I agree - what is a POG & vodka and why should it be served in a tiki mug?

Pineapple-Orange-Guava Juice, so it's kinda like a Hawaiian Screwdriver. POG's great in a Mimosa, too.

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-28 10:44 pm   Permalink

Not to flog a dead horse or what not..........

Quote:

I'm going to do this right.

So many tiki bars that open today do such a half-assed job, as if a bamboo chair and a wall decoration define tiki.

That is why I mentioned much respect for the Kona Club in Oakland, they did a great job and hired craftsmen from this site.

I'll keep you posted.
Robert

Aloha Robert-

I've been doing this for almost half my life. 17 plus years. I grew up with tiki in my blood. Search and you will see( Eli not Ely Hedley ). I found TC in 02. I'm very curious how "Right" you are going to have your tiki bar, built. I'll be watching you in a positive way. Your budget must be huge! Like the old Mahi Mahi in Nashville??

Mahalos,

Bamboo Ben

p.s.

Bamboo Ben
Tiki Bars I've designed/built. Zombie Village SF, TikiCat, Royal Hawaiian, Kona Club, Frankie's Tiki Room, Pacific Seas, Don the Beachcomber,Forbidden Island, Kon Tiki Tucson, Ti

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Robertiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-01 10:51 am   Permalink

Funny thing, I do own a bar/restaurant.

Without a sign, my customers couldn't find me.

Without a menu, I couldn't point customers to spend their money.

I know that I will be subjext to the same criteria when I get my place open.

Say, good news, I think I found an old Portland TV bartender to work out the drink menu.

View Profile of Robertiki Send a personal message to Robertiki  Email Robertiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Molokai Mike
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-01 1:29 pm   Permalink

Hey Robertiki,
Next time you're in Oakland, come by Conga Lounge on College Ave.

Although dissed by a few TCers for not being "true tiki"- which we've never tried to be- we have kick-ass cocktails (served in Tiki mugs!! and bowls) especially under the masterful hand of former TV bartender James Shoemake....and yes, we do have custom matches, swizzle sticks,and cocktail menus. In addition, we keep the spirit of Poly Pop alive by playing theme music (except on Event nights), Tiki Bar TV and other tiki related movies on the tube and showcasing the Mai Tai as an Oakland original.

Before I get attacked here, let me point out that I'm not dissing Kona - I actually frequent it myself - just pointing out that there is an alternative for those seeking a unique Tiki experience in Oakland.

View Profile of Molokai Mike Send a personal message to Molokai Mike  Email Molokai Mike Goto the website of Molokai Mike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
alohabros
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-01 2:09 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-02-28 22:44, RevBambooBen wrote:

...Mahi Mahi...

... right on!...

... eat more fish (grilled fish)...

View Profile of alohabros Send a personal message to alohabros      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation