FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Ľ Ľ General Tiki Ľ Ľ Mug Design Contest Entry topic
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
Mug Design Contest Entry topic
sporkboyofjustice
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-29 12:18 pm   Permalink

Iíve always liked the three faced bucket mugs so I decided to make a design around that style. These mugs are solid with a wide base making them a little less prone to being knocked over (which can be handy after a night at the tiki bar). These mugs are also comfortable to hold with the faces giving a nice feel to the mug when being gripped. Additionally they are family friendly as they can handle cookies much larger than an Oreo when filled with milk.

With as much as I like the bucket mug there has always been one thing that bothered me about it; the faces on them donít mean anything to me. Aside from the name printed on some of them they are mostly the same (aside from the few variants). My design attempts to solve this problem while building on the classic foundation of the bucket mug.

I had many choices for themes of my three faces, some of the ideas that I came up with were the modern masters (with likenesses to designs by Stuckie, Bosko and Shag) and Holy Grails (with Tiki Bob, Suffering Bastard and Steve Craneís Warrior). While these ideas sounded good they lacked significant personal meaning and lacked originality.

I then started to think of my personal tiki journey and how I had gone from not knowing a thing about tikis to the making my own tiki magnets, being known at work as the guy with a cubical full of tikis, and entering a tiki mug design contest. Of course everyone here at Tiki Central has helped me on my way by sharing inspiring projects and much information that I would have otherwise not had so a mention of Tiki Central had to find its way onto the mug.

When I thought more about this I realized that there were three stages to my journey that may also have been shared by others on their journeys: innocence, intrigue and obsession. The innocence stage was the shortest for me, my mother was having her 50th birthday with a Hawaii/Tiki theme, she asked me if I saw anything like that at thrift stores if I would pick it up. Not quite sure what to look for I started the hunt, after about a month I found two tiki mugs they were new but (then I didnít know that they were) I paid $1 each.

After I had got my first taste I became intrigued by the designs and decided to learn more thus entering the second stage; intrigue. I went to a book store and found The Book of Tiki and read it straight through. I had no idea that tiki had such breadth. From here I continued to read and learn and hunt for tiki treasures.

Somewhere at this time between intrigue and obsession I found Tiki Central. In no time I was carving small tikis out of clay and casting them into magnets as party favors for my momís birthday and learning about different kinds of rum. After my momís party (I had given her most of my mugs for the party but kept a few) I felt that this was more than something that I had just done for my mom, it was something that I really enjoyed. I started ordering mugs online and hitting the thrift stores with renewed energy.

I had entered the next stage of tiki collecting, obsession. While it hasnít quite taken over my house (yet) it does have a firm hold in my kitchen and my cubicle at work.

Not being an artist I had some trouble conveying the three stages on paper, What I ended up doing was to take various pictures of myself in the mirror and base the faces loosely on those. Improvements on the faces to better convey what I was trying to do may be in order. I apologize for the poor images but I am without a scanner, should have done them all in ink though. I placed the words Tiki Central on the mug between intrigue and obsession as thatís where TC and all of the wonderful people here came into my journey.

I hope that you enjoy the idea of the mug and that you enjoyed the story of my tiki journey as much as I enjoyed telling it through the design of this mug.

View Profile of sporkboyofjustice Send a personal message to sporkboyofjustice  Goto the website of sporkboyofjustice     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
vegatron

Posted: 2005-11-29 12:33 pm   Permalink

Aloha everyone out there in the world of tiki. My name is Javier, and I am a graphic artist, and a bartender at the Rendezvous Tiki Loungs in Kenosha, WI. The owners, and co-workers told me about the contest and thought it would be a good piece for my portfolio that I'm building to get into a graphics college. Hope you enjoy my work. Bottoms up!

View Profile of vegatron Send a personal message to vegatron  Email vegatron     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-29 4:20 pm   Permalink

You have to use your visual imagination for my entry since I can't even draw stick people. My Tiki Central mug would have several tikis on it, some talking some carving or painting, one on the computer, maybe one at a tiki bar. I don't know if it is doable, but it would look like a day in the life of tiki Central whereall the peeps interact with each other and they would all be tikis.
Does this count?
Here is a stick figure drawing,, I TOLD you I couldn't draw.

[ This Message was edited by: Benzart 2005-11-29 16:52 ]

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cherry Capri
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-29 5:10 pm   Permalink

I am a fan of Munktiki work, so my design tends to lean towards that streamlined Modern minimalist appraoch. Although rendered in greyscale, I would suggest a classic Tiki Central Forest Green glaze.

For your consideration Design #1

[ This Message was edited by: Cherry Capri 2005-11-29 22:34 ]

View Profile of Cherry Capri Send a personal message to Cherry Capri  Goto the website of Cherry Capri     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cherry Capri
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-29 5:53 pm   Permalink

I know it's deritive, but it's just so tough doing a follow-up to the famous Shecky.
So perhaps there should be a precursor instead? ...as in Shecky's "Hoity Toity" Uncle Milton...
For your consideration... Design #2

View Profile of Cherry Capri Send a personal message to Cherry Capri  Goto the website of Cherry Capri     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cherry Capri
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-29 6:43 pm   Permalink

And finally a Scorpion "like" Bowl... There is no central reservoir for lighting though - which makes for more room for booze AND then bowl can be used to serve snacks when not in use for cocktails! Again, I'd suggest a classic Tiki Central forest green glaze color.

For your consideration... Design #3

[ This Message was edited by: Cherry Capri 2005-11-29 22:37 ]

I dream of tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-29 7:41 pm   Permalink

Similar to playing the lottery, one has to enter in order to win.
Here's my toss in the hat.

Entry 1: Winky Marq with dimples

Entry 2: Tambua tiki

Ooops, my Tiki Central name on the bottom got hacked off. My apologies. Lets see if I can reload it before the contest ends. Stuck on dial up for a day or so.

Best of luck to everyone entered. Lets see how we do.

[ This Message was edited by: I dream of tiki 2005-11-30 07:27 ]

View Profile of I dream of tiki Send a personal message to I dream of tiki  Email I dream of tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-29 8:35 pm   Permalink

T.C.Palmetto I

T.C.Palmetto II
[ This Message was edited by: hiltiki 2005-11-29 20:36 ]

[ This Message was edited by: hiltiki 2005-11-30 23:06 ]

[ This Message was edited by: hiltiki 2005-11-30 23:08 ]

[ This Message was edited by: hiltiki 2005-11-30 23:10 ]

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Captain Pokie

Posted: 2005-11-29 9:45 pm   Permalink

Allright, here's my first foray into this Tiki Madness, it's big, it's slab sided, it's designed to hold ALOT of alcohol! My first concept was more cubist with Top Knots as an additional set of smaller mugs but time, etc. I think I'll develop them out at some point anyway...

Enjoy!

Captain Pokie!

View Profile of Captain Pokie Send a personal message to Captain Pokie  Email Captain Pokie Goto the website of Captain Pokie     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-29 10:05 pm   Permalink

This is a design I came up with a while ago. Instead of "the pirate" on the back, I would go with "tiki central" on the back, surrounded by an assortment of tikis. Just cause everyone loves the spirit of adventure and dreaming that a pirate conjures up.

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
john
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-29 10:35 pm   Permalink

for my entry i would like to enter "Wo-Fat" he is my first tiki and my favorite, he is the original glass tiki, so it would be fitting that he be mde into a tiki glass

here is in a monochromatic and colorful images
-john

Creative Glassworks "Island Series"
Fused Glass Tiki Art
http://www.creativeglassworksaz.com
john@creativeglassworksaz.com

[ This Message was edited by: john 2005-11-29 22:41 ]

View Profile of john Send a personal message to john  Email john Goto the website of john     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MonkeyToy

Posted: 2005-11-29 10:38 pm   Permalink

Triple Trouble.
Three devil faces, one mean beverage vessel. Say no more...except perhaps "bartender, may I have another?"
Horns could be separate small recesses for flame effects.

[ This Message was edited by: MonkeyToy 2005-11-30 11:28 ]

View Profile of MonkeyToy Send a personal message to MonkeyToy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AlienTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-30 12:16 am   Permalink

Here are my 3 sketches.
#1 untitled (traditional)

#2 Ta Moko (I meant no offense to any Maori peoples)

#3 untitled (contemporary)

I'm no wordsmith. Maybe someone else could name them?

View Profile of AlienTiki Send a personal message to AlienTiki  Goto the website of AlienTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Exoticat
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-30 01:29 am   Permalink

First I just want to say, "WOW!!!" to everything I've seen. Amazing job done by everyone!

I wasn't going to enter this contest but started tinkering around in photoshop tonight with virtually no plan. ha

I started with the TC design which I feel should be used in at least one of the TC mugs and did a back design. Then I got to the front so my approach was really lame.

Since I'm running out of time I decided to leave the tiki to your imagination:

Then I decided to borrow MachTiki's Lemoai (which I personally think is the winning mug!) so you can get an idea (it actually looks a little like a chocolate Hanford but you get the idea):

I don't think I have the winning mug, but it was fun!

View Profile of Exoticat Send a personal message to Exoticat      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kono
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-30 02:31 am   Permalink

Here's mine:

Obviously he is strongly inspired by August Holland's "Bowl of Light" painting, a painting that nearly every TCer has or wishes to have.

The shallow bowl would be used to hold some flaming high proof or dry ice. There could be some wood grain effect as well as the tattooing.

I'm not the best at drawing. In the second sketch that bowl would actually have a larger diameter, like in the first pic.

After uploading these to fotki last night I'm not so sure if I like the pot belly. Not wanting to draw it again I did a quick hack job with PSP to give him a skinnier and shorter torso to emphasize the head more. An alternate version.

View Profile of Kono Send a personal message to Kono  Email Kono Goto the website of Kono     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation