FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Creating Tiki » » Tiki Carving » » New Tikis from Germany!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 Next Page )
New Tikis from Germany!
GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-18 4:51 pm   Permalink

Haikai,

I have been traveling for work and just returned. MAN! what a show! The big tiki with the curls is fantastic. The coloring job you did, and the colors you created, are out of this world! My hat is off to you sir!

And that little Maori warrior...SWEET! I love the progress shots, the layout, and the red you used for the final staining. An all around excellent piece. I'm glad my work was part of what prompted you to do this project. Thanks. They are fun aren't they?

Now where is that monster piece of wood you are hiding!!! Make a Maori warrior out of that bugger!!!!! Let us see what you are doing!

http://www.oceanandislandarts.blogspot.com/

View Profile of GMAN Send a personal message to GMAN      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JohnnyP
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-18 5:24 pm   Permalink

Nice work. The step by steps are great, I can really see how you approached it. It looks wonderful.

JP

View Profile of JohnnyP Send a personal message to JohnnyP  Email JohnnyP Goto the website of JohnnyP     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Paipo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-18 5:56 pm   Permalink

Haikai, you're really flying the flag in Europe. That little tekoteko is incredible. It's obviously Maori inspired, yet very original at the same time.

View Profile of Paipo Send a personal message to Paipo  Goto the website of Paipo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
haikai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-25 10:12 am   Permalink

Hey guys, thank you very much for the nice words! I was very glad when I read your commentaries.
Sadly, I´m very busy at work, because tomorrow we´ll have an exhibition and on sunday I´ll go on hollidays for two weeks. (Bretagne / France)

So, I have not enough time to give you all a response.
When I´ll be back in town, I´ll do that quickly!

At last, I have some pictures for you! They are from one of my last projects.
I carved these little Lono pendant for my big Tiki friend Pete.
The Lono is 7/6 inches tall and carved from cherrywood.

And here is the lucky Pete!

Greetings and have a great time, Kai

View Profile of haikai Send a personal message to haikai  Email haikai Goto the website of haikai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Duddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-25 10:20 am   Permalink

nice work there!! really good. lots of detail on such a small piece.

good job.

View Profile of Tiki Duddy Send a personal message to Tiki Duddy  Email Tiki Duddy Goto the website of Tiki Duddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kingstiedye
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-25 11:57 am   Permalink

aloha hai kai. great work on the lono pendant. can you make one for me? your website is lookin' good!

bangin' my slit gong drum until the cops come!

View Profile of kingstiedye Send a personal message to kingstiedye  Goto the website of kingstiedye     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigap
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-25 8:33 pm   Permalink

Very nice stuff! I love the bloom crown tiki! Thanks for decribing the process too. Again, very nice!

View Profile of tikigap Send a personal message to tikigap  Email tikigap Goto the website of tikigap     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-26 05:25 am   Permalink

Hey Kai, Thats a Lot of minute detail on that tiny Lono, Nice job. What is the wood?. I'm really liking your Stuff.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
haikai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-27 06:09 am   Permalink

Aloha friends,

First I want to say thanks very much to
Tiki Duddy, tiki5-0, AlohaStation, Benzart, congatiki, GMAN, JohnnyP and Paipo
for your nice and constitutive words above the Bloom Crown Tiki and the Tekoteko.
For reading your coments, it was just worthwhile to carve them.

Thanks again Tiki Duddy, kingstiedye, tikigap and Benzart for your words
about Peter´s Lono pendant.
It was one of my most difficult carving, because of the size and the hardness.
But I had also much fun with it.

Surely kingstiedye, I could make one for you!
I´m very happy that I´ll create a new penant for your amazing colection.

Hey Benzart, the little Lono pendant is from cherry wood. Thanks again!

Two weeks ago, I came back from my holidays in France.
It was a realy cool trip to the sea side and I visited a few great museums.
I think one of the best, I have seen was the French Marine Museum at Brest.
It´s in an old port castle from the 16. century and is full of old things
from the conquerors of the 18. - 19. century.

It was so cool, I felt like an old bearded seaman, everywhere you can see
old cannons, epees, anchors, ship models and all the original wood carvings from the big ships.

Another interesting trip was to vistit the biggest sea aquarium in Europe. The Océanapolis at Brest.
Pretty fishes, turtles and lot of more interesting things for discovering.
Even, they have some polynesian objects.

And the best experience was to sit in the sand, carve a Tiki and watch to the sea.
Finaly, France is a realy beautiful country!

Her are some impessions:

A polynesian native on a turtle and a part of adornment from an old ship. (Marine Museum at Brest)

And here are some beautiful south sea artworks. (Océanapolis)

The coast of Brignogan. The best place, were I have ever carved a Tiki.

That´s the treasure, That I found on the beach!
I´ll use the mussels for my new Tiki cellektion next year.

The right place for pirates and seamans! Vive la France!

O.K. and finally here are some pictures from my latest carving job.
A 6.9 feet high Lono head. For this I used a cottonwood log.
I think cottenwood is realy great for carving. You can work realy fine.

Here is one more picture for you. It´s a present from my buddy Michael (ramba-zamba).
He spend his holidays in Bali and visited some wood carving factories.
There he bought me a pice of crocodile wood. I think it looks very funny
and I´m looking forward how it will work.

Mahalo, Kai

View Profile of haikai Send a personal message to haikai  Email haikai Goto the website of haikai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
McTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-27 07:26 am   Permalink

Wow! Haikai Awesome efforts on the big Cottonwood sir. I often wondered how it would carve as it makes ones fireplace smell like poo. It grows very large though and is very smooth grained. Very nice carving.

Mahalo

McTiki

View Profile of McTiki Send a personal message to McTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-27 07:30 am   Permalink

WOW, your Big Lono Head is Very very good, Most excellent I am Super impressed.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Paipo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-27 1:54 pm   Permalink

Oh man, what a post....I love the museum pieces, it's great to get a look at stuff you may never have the chance to visit. I've been wondering what you've been doing lately and now I know! Nice beachcombing finds and an excellent new tiki on the way.
I'd also be interested in a pendant like the one you posted up above if you're making a list...

View Profile of Paipo Send a personal message to Paipo  Goto the website of Paipo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AlohaStation
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-27 6:13 pm   Permalink

Excellent Large Lono!! But I'm curious - what happened to the tiki on the beach? Is he finished?

View Profile of AlohaStation Send a personal message to AlohaStation  Goto the website of AlohaStation     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tamapoutini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-27 7:34 pm   Permalink

Wow! That big Lono is going to be amazing & the wee Maori teko-teko has a real presence to him (quite a tricky form/stance to get right, but you nailed it) a unique face/expression. Kai pai, well done! TTT

View Profile of Tamapoutini Send a personal message to Tamapoutini  Email Tamapoutini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lake Surfer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-27 10:16 pm   Permalink

Quote:

Nice.

That's what it's all about right there.

Back to the roots.

The sound of the sea.

No better place to carve a tiki.

Stoked for you!

The Lono is incredible. Nice work! Your style is super clean and your cuts well thought out.

Keep up the great work!

View Profile of Lake Surfer Send a personal message to Lake Surfer      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation