FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums ŧ ŧ Creating Tiki ŧ ŧ Tiki Carving ŧ ŧ New Tikis from Germany!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 Next Page )
New Tikis from Germany!
JohnnyP
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-28 7:14 pm   Permalink

That lono head is fantasitic. You must have spent a lot of time planning that one.

JP

View Profile of JohnnyP Send a personal message to JohnnyP  Email JohnnyP Goto the website of JohnnyP     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-28 8:18 pm   Permalink

HaiKai,

That Lono carving is tops! Wow man, you are really hammering on the big guys. Please post update pics of him soon; please don't wait to post until he is finished. Also, I'm glad you got to carve on the coast; that is something that most of us who leave near the beach take for granted.

http://www.oceanandislandarts.blogspot.com/

View Profile of GMAN Send a personal message to GMAN      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
IsleConch
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-28 9:01 pm   Permalink

WOW...WOW...by the beach..yes that is the way to carve.Those carvings are to die for..admiration doesn't seem to be enough.

...Castaway on the Isle of Life...

View Profile of IsleConch Send a personal message to IsleConch  Email IsleConch     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
benella
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-01 05:45 am   Permalink

VOOOOOAAAAAWWWWWWW
Your tikis are fantastic !!!
nice work.
what do you use to finish your works?

View Profile of benella Send a personal message to benella  Goto the website of benella     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-01 08:19 am   Permalink

Nice Lono! Bigger is always better!

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
benella
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-05 09:30 am   Permalink

Hello

i am a french carver (well, in fact, i try to be) and i really love your work.
A question came to me : do you draw your tikis before you carve them ? How do you do to have your perfect symetry ?
How do you do to report your drawing on the wood?

Thanks

View Profile of benella Send a personal message to benella  Goto the website of benella     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
benella
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-06 06:21 am   Permalink

Do you have new photos of your Lono?

Tiki Duddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-06 5:56 pm   Permalink

WOOOOW!! that lono head is terrific! man its such a clean cut. so that MUST be good wood. great job really.

View Profile of Tiki Duddy Send a personal message to Tiki Duddy  Email Tiki Duddy Goto the website of Tiki Duddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Capt'n Skully
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-07 06:02 am   Permalink

That is a great looking lono! Really clean lines- Can't wait to see more of the progress..

View Profile of Capt'n Skully Send a personal message to Capt'n Skully  Email Capt'n Skully     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
haikai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-08 11:29 am   Permalink

Aloha friends,

sorry, for my late response! Finally I have found the time to answer on your nice entries.
Last week I was very busy, but now I have some new pictures form the big Lono for you. I hope you will enjoy them.

McTiki, thank you! Yes you are right, the cottonwood is smooth grained and so itīs not difficult to make clean cuts.
I realy like to work with this kind of wood.
Iīve never make a fireplace with cottenwood, so I donīt know if it smells like poo.
But thanks for the tipp! So, I wonīt try it out.
An other handicap is, that you canīt put a cottenwood Tiki outside in your garden.
Mainly here in Germany. The wood is not weatherproof and by the wetness it will molder. What a lovely kind of wood mold and poo!

Thanks Benzart, itīs wonderful to hear such words from the carving master.
I always visit your thread and so I learned many things from you.
So you gave also yourself an compliment.
Anytime I will attend on one of your carving seminar.

Hey Paipo, you wrote:

"....I love the museum pieces, it's great to get a look at stuff you may never have the chance to visit."

So you can undersand, how I feel if I ever visit TC and admire your pictures.
You life on so beautiful places all over the world and itīs so far away.
Thanks god for the internet, so we can meet us all.
Last week I met a guy form Auckland on the Oktober Fest and he told me a lot about your country. So I have new information for my dreams.

Yes, I will also create a pendant for you. If itīs O.K. for you, we can change pendants, because Iīm also inerestet in one of your beautiful once.
But soonest I could start to carve it in the beginning of November.

Thanks AlohaStation, you caught me! I donīt finished the beach Tiki, yet.
But if the Tiki will be finished, Iīll post some pictures.

Tamapoutini, itīs the biggest compliment I can get for the teko-teko.
Such great words from a New Zealand guy! Thank you very much!

Hey Lake Surfer, your are right. Back to the roots!
Itīs the best way to carve a Tiki.
Anytime Iīll life on the sea side and enjoy it every day.
Thank you for your flattery.

Thanks JohnnyP, you are right! The Lono is one of my most complex and detail carving. Till now I think I needed about 45 hours for the Lono.
But the next one is going to be faster.

Hey GMAN, Iīm honored. Thank you very much!
Sorry, that I have post the pictures so late, but I hadnīt found enough time.
I always need a little bit more time to answer your guys, because my english is not so good.
I learnd it at school but I used it not realy often in the last
few years, so I lost many words. But itīs great to use TC to recreate my english knowledge a little bit.
Thatīs right, to life and carve on the coast is so awesome!
I hope you enjoy the latest pis from the Lono. Mahalo

IsleConch, thank you! I am very happy about all your nice words about my carving.

Salut benella, ca va? Merci beaucoup pour ta compliment.
Bienvenue chez TC!
I try to finish my works always a little bit different. At the moment I try out to combinate grinded surfaces with cut surfaces.
For the grinded surfaces I use a flex and than a fine sandpaper. For the cut surfaces I use a wide knife.
I love the contrast of the structures.
For the color finish of the Lono, I will use a wood stain.
I have never try it out before and so Iīm looking forward how it will work.
I think itīs the most interessting thing to try out always new techniques.

I donīt realy draw my Tikis before. Probably I couldenīt draw my Tikis realy good and I also couldnīt carve a Tiki,
that he realy looks the same like the drawing.
Anywhere, I see an inspiration, like a cool nose, eye, mouth or only an interesting line and than I start to carve it.
Sometimes I make a little sketch, but mostly it donīt realy helps me.
I have the form in my brain and the rest of the Tikis parts will develop between the working progress.
So Iīm not quite sure what the Tiki will look like in the end.
Before I start to carve, I give the log a middle line to get the right symetry.
Than I mark the log in the different parts like forehead, eyes, nose, mouth, chin .....and than I start to carve.
To hold the right symetry, I always remeasure the parts on the two halves.
When Iīll start my next bigger carving job, Iīll show it on some pictures.
Please post one of your carvings on TC!

Hey Basement Kahuna, you are realy right! My girlfiend says always the same.

Thank you very much Tiki Duddy! The wood is realy great for carving. Itīs like butter!

And finaly thanks to Capt'n Skully! I hope you will enjoy the next pictures.

Here are some pictures from the last week:

This is Michael, the Lonoīs owner. He helped me grinding the Tiki and I gave him a few carving lessons.

And these are the latest pictures from the Lono. I shot them this afternoon.
In the first picture you can see the fixing of the Tiki. The Lono will fix in Michaelīs flat in a corner under the roof.

The Lono with my buddy and colleague Michael (ramba-zamba).

So, I hope you enjoy the pictures and I hope I can show you more next week,
when Iīll make the color finish. Have a great start into the next week!
Mahalo, Kai

View Profile of haikai Send a personal message to haikai  Email haikai Goto the website of haikai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Paipo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-08 1:08 pm   Permalink

Man, that thing is incredible! Your stuff has got so precise and authentic looking in such a short time. Absolutely beautiful detailing - I love the little starbursts on the head-dress (they have a nice 50s feel to them) and the chisel texture you left on the chin. Your friend is a very lucky man!

View Profile of Paipo Send a personal message to Paipo  Goto the website of Paipo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-09 07:43 am   Permalink

Ditto everything Paipo said. Excellent Lono. Perfect rendition of a Very difficult to do tiki. Big, Bold and Beautiful!

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Duddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-09 4:53 pm   Permalink

great work there. hey what kind of tool is that your using? the orange one.

View Profile of Tiki Duddy Send a personal message to Tiki Duddy  Email Tiki Duddy Goto the website of Tiki Duddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Capt'n Skully
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-09 6:04 pm   Permalink

WOW!! Awesome work.. Absolutely stunning!

View Profile of Capt'n Skully Send a personal message to Capt'n Skully  Email Capt'n Skully     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-09 6:34 pm   Permalink

HaiKai,

This Lono rocks so huge! Your chops are incredible! Were you an artist to begin with, or did you just decide to be one of the best tiki carvers one morning? Wow, this piece is very special. It is great that your friend is getting it; hopefully you will be able to visit it often. Your use of texture and detail is amazing...I can't wait to see what you choose for stain colors.

-Gman

http://www.oceanandislandarts.blogspot.com/

View Profile of GMAN Send a personal message to GMAN      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation